Traditional College vs Employable Skill For Your Kids

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
For those with kids or those who plan to have kids, how important is it for your children to go to college considering the way the job market is? Would you still encourage them to go to traditional college or would you tell them to learn a vocational skill, trade, or get a technical certification so that they can compete in the job market?

Boutdatlife

Shoe & music connoisseur
Daps
Reppin
DMV
nahh man college cost is ridiculous!!

Imma have to send them to a state college where i can pay out of pocket.

I dont want my child owing school loans till they are 50.

You know its bad when lawyers are coming out making 50k on the average unless they graduated from a top 20% school.

How you just pay 120 K for school then only making on average 50-75k ? Its crazy out here folks we gotta be smarter.

Only time acceptable to owe that much is coming out of med school .

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
For those with kids or those who plan to have kids, how important is it for your children to go to college considering the way the job market is? Would you still encourage them to go to traditional college or would you tell them to learn a vocational skill, trade, or get a technical certification so that they can compete in the job market?
I would hope they go through college, but not just go through, but to succeed at college.
1. Don't major in something super stupid like Hotel Management or Mass Communications. I said super stupid, not just stupid. It's like you can major in Accounting and then if you still want to go into the hotel management business, the accounting major can get you in. If you don't, the accounting background is good for other jobs. If you get a degree in hotel management, you can't necessarily get a job in accounting. Mass Communication pretty much says it all. We, the universtiy, are going to teach you how you communicate to the masses, but you'll pay us the same as someone getting a degree in engineering.
2. Be successful in high school, academics, sports, fine arts, so you can get a scholarship. These students with a full-ride scholarship got it made.
3. Vocational school is okay. Your pay is good from the get go while the college student is still in school. But, a person with a college degree can get a career whose salary will, later on, surpass the vocational degree dude by tens of thousands of dollars. It depends. I want my children to be happy at what they are doing.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
College is important but they have to pick a major that actually leads somewhere. There's a lot of bullshyt majors they teach nowadays that aren't practical for helping you get a job. They also can't just go to classes and expect to come out and find a job. They need to start interning and getting job experience while at school now. It's not just going to school anymore, its planning their future.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
I would make sure they understand all of their possibilities, let them make their own decision and support that decision 100%.

Hopefully they'll go into business for themselves rather than being an employee.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
degree all the way because with a degree you can get almost any type of job(in or out of your major). i know people with psychology degrees who are managers. biology degrees who work with insurance companies. with a trade school, u are limited to your specific trade only.