Tore my ACL and messed up my meniscus

HIVAIDS

Get Tested
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been about 3 months since operation thinking getting back in the gym since I got all this time off from work.

Any regiments I should be doing that won't F up my knees, but still get a good workout in?

Also anyone have a surgery like this how lonng it took to bounce back.

UNATTACHED

OMG What happened to Virgil?
Daps
I had an acl avulsion and a bad meniscus tear. Acl surgery is way more serious than that. I hope you're going to therapy and rehab cuz that will get you back right.

But as far as lifting goes, focus on getting the muscles around your bad knee as strong as you can and make sure you stretch and get your flexibility back. This should be your focus before you start back with regular lower body lifting.

Did your surgeon or pt give you any exercises to do?

HIVAIDS

Get Tested
Daps
Reppin
NULL
30 squats a day, 5 different leg exercises, and stationary bike for 20 min.

JayYoung713

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx
I had a minor meniscus tear in July and could barely walk for about 2 weeks. Took me out the gym for a month although I was advised by my doctor not to go for 6 weeks. I’m just now getting back to squats (lightweight of course). Make sure you do a lot of stretching. Also, straight leg raises, stair climbers, (take it slow) light weight leg press, are some exercises that will help you get back right. Take it slow don’t try to rush back to where you were prior to injury as that’s the quickest way to re-injure yourself.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Been about 3 months since operation thinking getting back in the gym since I got all this time off from work.

Any regiments I should be doing that won't F up my knees, but still get a good workout in?

Got ACL surgery a couple of years ago and my doc told me that 3 months was too early for putting weight on my knees. Body weight exercices, stationary bike, balance workouts to stabilize the fresh ligament should be what you need right now. Weight lifting is more after 6 months when the ligament is fully "formed".

My knee will probably forever be at 80% though.

UNATTACHED

OMG What happened to Virgil?
Daps
Oh make sure you do stability exercises. Those helped me more than anything

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
People with torn meniscus surgery are out walking the same day.
I got ACL reconstruction done. It took a good 11 months before I was able to hit the weights as before surgery, as in not afraid to go 100% on barbell squats. I got the replacement ligament from my knee tendon. I thought that with a cadaver ligament, there's a chance your body may reject it. I regret that. The chances of your body rejecting it are low. Rehab is way faster.
When you get the ligament replaced, that's some rehab time. When you cut out a ligament from your knee tendon, that's rehab time for your knee, plus the rehab time for the ACL repair. The professional athletes get a cadaver ligament because rehab time is shortened.
I recommended it to a friend who tore her ACL (she plays volleyball), she chose to get the cadaver ligament done and she was done with recovery and rehab in a much shorter time.
You can go without ACL reconstruction if it doesn't hurt. My other knee's ACL is torn, but it never bothered me after it got torn. It hurt in the beginning. My other knee hurt after I tore the ligament. Something inside was hitting a nerve that felt like a needle was poking it. :sadbron:

Anyway, long story short, get the cadaver ligament if you get ACL reconstruction.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES

1 YEAR REMOVED FROM MY SURGERY AND MY KNEE IS HONESTLY NOWHERE CLOSE TO THE SAME

I HAVENT EVEN ATTEMPTED TO PLAY A SERIOUS GAME OF BASKETBALL BECAUSE OF HOW UNSTABLE IT FEELS AND I STILL WALK WIT A LIMP AFTER SITTING DOWN FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD

I HAVE WENT ON HIKES, ROCK CLIMBING, SHOT AROUND AND PLAYED 3-ON-3 WITOUT REALLY PUSHIN MYSELF TO THE MAX AND THERE ARE TIMES WHEN MY KNEE FEELS DECENT

BUT I HAVE ACCEPTED I WILL MOST LIKELY NEVER BE THE SAME

FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, I WAS VERY NONCHALANT ABOUT MY REHAB. I DO FEEL I WOULD BE BETTER OFF IF I PUSHED MYSELF HARDER IN TERMS OF PHYSICAL THERAPY

IT IS WHAT IT IS THO. ILL TRY 5-ON-5 SOON BUT DEF WONT BE PUSHIN MY LIMITS, BECAUSE I STILL FEEL MY KNEE IS VERY SUSCEPTIBLE TO REINJURY

Last edited:

HIVAIDS

Get Tested
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1 YEAR REMOVED FROM MY SURGERY AND MY KNEE IS HONESTLY NOWHERE CLOSE TO THE SAME

I HAVENT EVEN ATTEMPTED TO PLAY A SERIOUS GAME OF BASKETBALL BECAUSE OF HOW UNSTABLE IT FEELS AND I STILL WALK WIT A LIMP AFTER SITTING DOWN FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD

I HAVE WENT ON HIKES, ROCK CLIMBING, SHOT AROUND AND PLAYED 3-ON-3 WITOUT REALLY PUSHIN MYSELF TO THE MAX AND THERE ARE TIMES WHEN MY KNEE FEELS DECENT

BUT I HAVE ACCEPTED I WILL MOST LIKELY NEVER BE THE SAME

FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, I WAS VERY NONCHALANT ABOUT MY REHAB, I DO FEEL I WOULD BE BETTER OFF IF I PUSHED MYSELF HARDER IN TERMS OR PHYSICAL THERAPY

IT IS WHAT IT IS THO. ILL TRY 5-ON-5 SOON BUT DEF WONT BE PUSHIN MY LIMITS, BECAUSE I STILL FEEL MY KNEE IS VERY SUSCEPTIBLE TO REINJURY

Damn sorry hear that. I defintely not looking forward to this. How are simple things like riding a bike or running a mile or 2?

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Damn sorry hear that. I defintely not looking forward to this. How are simple things like riding a bike or running a mile or 2?

RIDING A BIKE IS NO PROBLEM

BUT RUNNING FEELS AWKWARD .. LIKE I HAVE TO CONSCIOUSLY THINK ABOUT IT IN ORDER NOT TO LIMP

I ONLY RUN FOR SHORT SPURTS BECAUSE OF THAT .. RUNNING ALREADY PUTS TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE KNEES FOR CATS WITOUT ACL RECONSTRUCTION, SO I CANT IMAGINE THAT RUNNING A MILE WOULD DO ANY GOOD FOR A RECOVERING KNEE

I FORGOT TO MENTION, I ALSO HAD MY MENISCUS, LCL, AND MCL TORN IN THE SAME INJURY.... THEY SAID THE LCL AND MCL HEALS NATURALLY, BUT HAD TO SHAVE THE MENISCUS DURING THE ACL SURGERY. THAT PROBABLY PLAYED A FACTOR IN THE SEVERITY AS WELL.