To all the DJs here, I need your help

Bickin Back Being Bool

The Devil My Opp
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto, Kanada
I want to learn how to DJ, I already got the turntables, I just need to know what's a good laptop to start with?

Ill eventually get a macbook, but now I need a laptop that can handle serato and doesn't crash

Any suggestions, or can u direct me to a website that can help

Thanks

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Learning huh? Are you truly trying to be a real DJ or those push and play, laptop DJs?

If your REALLY trying to learn the artform, do yourself a favor and learn with straight vinyl and a regular 2 channel mixer first.

Once you master that, then convert to DVS, it will be a cake walk.

Don't cheat yourself with those programs like a lot of these so called DJs nowadays. I mean look at this muthafukka.

f51.jpeg

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
I agree with the vinyl. The reason being is serato and traktor give you a visual representation and you end up using it as a crutch to not being able to 'hear' the records like a DJ does.

Now it is possible to start with a laptop and eventually youll hear when one record is slower or faster than the other for match purposes but it's hard, as a male/visual creature, not to use the on screen shyt as a crutch.

If you are really serious don't even look at this thread again and spend your time just counting the beats on your favorite songs using a watch so you can figure out the beats per minute.

BigL187

MOPAO
Daps
Reppin
Märsta,Sweden
Buy a cheap controller after that just a buy a random computer dont really matter which just make sure it got alot of GB and learn how to beat match check this breh from holland named djtlmtv on youtube hes pretty dope

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
If they use old school serato with the vinyls I don’t see the issue

It's the same shyt. Can't train your ear if your tempted to look at the waveforms if you get frustrated when you can't match up the bpms.

In this day and age, you'll get even more props if your able to rock a party with just tables, a 05 and a crate of records.

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
It's the same shyt. Can't train your ear if your tempted to look at the waveforms if you get frustrated when you can't match up the bpms.

In this day and age, you'll get even more props if your able to rock a party with just tables, a 05 and a crate of records.
I started on vinyls and used to spin 45s of dancehall I’m not going back :mjlol:
I always encourage guys to do serato with vinyls because at least it’s easier to understand beat matching and scratching better but if you’re good must people can’t tell the difference

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I started on vinyls and used to spin 45s of dancehall I’m not going back :mjlol:
I always encourage guys to do serato with vinyls because at least it’s easier to understand beat matching and scratching better but if you’re good must people can’t tell the difference

Nah I teach my nephew to learn the the hard way but to each their own.

I always saw serato as a convenience for music only. No longer need to carry them crates around.

DJs got it easy nowadays and most are just pushing buttons with them auto sync shyts.

I saw a "DJ" at a store in the mall and he thought he was tight pushing a dam button hella fast that turntablists would call forward skratching.

Smh

I'm even teaching my nephew how to mark records the OG way. Lol

This was our cue points.

7173Ey2z%2BhL._SL1500_.jpg

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I understand the vinyl sentiment, I first learned on vinyl myself, but it's natural for a youngster or beginner to use the technology of the day. Especially if they want to play the latest jams

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
all 23 million miles of useful land
Learning huh? Are you truly trying to be a real DJ or those push and play, laptop DJs?

If your REALLY trying to learn the artform, do yourself a favor and learn with straight vinyl and a regular 2 channel mixer first.

Once you master that, then convert to DVS, it will be a cake walk.

Don't cheat yourself with those programs like a lot of these so called DJs nowadays. I mean look at this muthafukka.

facts!
i started out with 2 straight arm bullshyt technics with a mx 2200 gemini mixer... i been at this for a long time
its levels to this shyt.... Serato/Traktor is a blessing and a course.... it was a blessing to me, b/c no more carrying up to 5-7 crates for gigs... and its a curse b/c everybody wants to be a DJ... esp these new push buttons dj.... anybody can push buttons to play music,,, b.u.t it takes knowledge and skill to read and rock a party the right way.... I can spot a new dj... they eyes stayed glued to the laptop and they can't even read the crowd, they can only play heaters/bangers to move the crowd, and more times, they playing those too early in a party/club.

f51.jpeg

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
all 23 million miles of useful land
rem
Nah I teach my nephew to learn the the hard way but to each their own.

I always saw serato as a convenience for music only. No longer need to carry them crates around.

DJs got it easy nowadays and most are just pushing buttons with them auto sync shyts.

I saw a "DJ" at a store in the mall and he thought he was tight pushing a dam button hella fast that turntablists would call forward skratching.

Smh

I'm even teaching my nephew how to mark records the OG way. Lol

This was our cue points.

7173Ey2z%2BhL._SL1500_.jpg
remember putting tape on the vinyl when that shyt was loose,, or putting a penny on the needle to stop from skipping with cutting.