Thunderobot revives Steam Machines after Steam Deck's success

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Remember Steam machines? Well, they might be due for a comeback, thanks to Thunderobot’s latest announcement. The company has unveiled a Mini PC which packs some serious power while also featuring a familiar design. In fact, the design of this new PC resembles those early Steam machine releases from AlienWare

The PC has a very small footprint, despite featuring an Intel Core Raptor Lake 13th generation and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060. The PC is even smaller than an Xbox Series S, by about 60%. Curiously, the overall design and shape of the Mini PC does is almost a carbon copy of AlienWare’s Steam machines. Even the logo seems to follow the iconic Alien head of the American company.

Just to be clear, the ThundeRobot Mix mini PC will not run SteamOS natively, so it is not a perfect substitute for a Steam machine. But, the OS can indeed be easily installed via a simple download. So, turning a simple mini PC into a quite capable Steam machine can be quite easy, along with running emulators much like you would on a Steam deck.

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas
my moms had a steam machine that she used for a tv tuner :russ:
my niece got it now to play Hades and Persona 4 Golden.

was a cool piece of tech, just wish the gpu was upgradable

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:patrice:

I actually do think a current day steam machine would crush buildings. I would sell my xbox tomorrow if they announced one

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Valve should have sold their prototype. a lot of people lost interest when they found out they were 3rd party

Steam Machines, SteamOS, and the controller, were all what led up to the Steam Deck. and they've put in a lot of work getting stuff compatible with SteamOS. it would be interesting if they came back around to Steam Machines

but the price is always gonna be a factor. Steam Deck was successful because it was affordable. crossing into the $1000+ range is different

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
i wonder what would happen with sony and microsoft releasing their games on steam if valve actually dropped another console

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
i wonder what would happen with sony and microsoft releasing their games on steam if valve actually dropped another console
Valve would probably lose those stores and have to start making first party games not named Half-Life or Counter strike. They could do it but If I were them
I'd keep it on the low and release the games first then release the console.