This scene is absolutely wild for a 80s/90s cartoon for kids

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
OP must've been born in the 90s. Literally every cartoon and family sitcom in the 80s had two special episodes one about AIDS and one about drugs and alcohol

Yes I remember all of those "special" episodes. This type of content doesn't belong in a children's cartoon

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
Yes I remember all of those "special" episodes. This type of content doesn't belong in a children's cartoon

That was the point of the "Very Special Episode" and why it was considered as such.

It was to showcase serious subject matter that didn't normally show up in these kinds of shows.

EffedUp

Pugs get lonely too...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah I remember the story of Ryan white. They treated him horrible as shyt.
Over 10 years ago, I took my niece to the Children's Museum in Indy and they had an exhibit there about him including the recreation of his bedroom. His mom just happened to be there (they said then that she makes one trip back to Indiana every year; she was living in Florida). They played a video about Ryan's story then she spoke to the audience. No mother should have to go through any of that.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Yes it does. How else were kids going to learn about AIDS in the 80s? You can't teach it to them in just school. You got to humanize that shyt

That was the point of the "Very Special Episode" and why it was considered as such.

It was to showcase serious subject matter that didn't normally show up in these kinds of shows.

And that topic is an adult disease from adult activities, correct? It's careless promotion disguised as "awareness"

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
And that topic is an adult disease from adult activities, correct? It's careless promotion disguised as "awareness"

There were in fact children who suffered from that disease which they oftentimes acquired through non-adult activities. One of them was mentioned in this thread. There was even a show that had a "Very Special Episode" about a kid who had it. I forgot which one it was.

The Very Special Episodes were about many different topics, not just diseases.

They covered things such as dealing with divorcing parents, smoking cigarettes, drunk driving, gangs, bullying etc.