"This ad **** on the coli" thread from this morning

concise

Veteran
Daps
@gangreen

or someone else made a thread this morning during the wipe out period about buying stuff on his debit card and then seeing ads on it on the coli.

Just felt like it was important to re-post these 2 articles here on how your purchase habits are being used to gather information about you:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

Charles Duhigg outlines in the New York Times how Target tries to hook parents-to-be at that crucial moment before they turn into rampant — and loyal — buyers of all things pastel, plastic, and miniature. He talked to Target statistician Andrew Pole — before Target freaked out and cut off all communications — about the clues to a customer’s impending bundle of joy. Target assigns every customer a Guest ID number, tied to their credit card, name, or email address that becomes a bucket that stores a history of everything they’ve bought and any demographic information Target has collected from them or bought from other sources.

and

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204002304576627030651339352.html

The two largest credit-card networks, Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc., are pushing into a new business: using what they know about people's credit-card purchases for targeting them with ads online.

Their plans, if implemented, would represent not only a technological feat—tying people's Internet lives with shopping activities—but also an erosion of the idea of anonymity on the Web. It's an effort by the two companies to profit by selling access to the insights they gather about people with every credit-card transaction.

The technology is still evolving. According to ad executives briefed on some of the ideas, a holy grail would be to show, for instance, a weight-loss ad to a person who just swiped their card at a fast-food chain—then track whether that person bought the advertised products. Currently, Web ads generally are based on a person's online behavior but not information tied to his or her identity or activities in the brick-and-mortar world.

sounds like this was implemented exactly.

Use paper when possible? :manny:

Last edited by a moderator:

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
no trollin but why should i care though? what is target gonna do with the info that i bought a frozen pizza there?

AgentGrey

MeVsYou
Daps
no trollin but why should i care though? what is target gonna do with the info that i bought a frozen pizza there?

If your nose is clean it doesnt matter.

I hear @concise is a notorious Hatian hacker, so I can see why he's skeptical :lupe:

Last edited by a moderator: