The word Classic has lost all meaning.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
This is a term that gets tossed around so lightly these days that it lost all meaning. You've got lil Wayne fans claiming he's got 6 classics. Like word? A classic isn't an above average mixtape. Drake doesn't have classics, stop it.

No joke the other day I hear somebody listening to Carter IV and they keep skipping songs. Then I hear" this a great album but it has too many skippables."

This word used to mean something. It's time to take it back. As a collective it needs to be brought into consciousness to treat it with respect. You disrespect the word and the culture when you water down it's meaning. Anybody making foul implications with the term should be negged on site and become a martyr for the fakkits running rampant in this forum.

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
kids these days look at music as something that is completely disposable. albums that were called classics 2 years ago are now completely forgotten. people who come from the school of "feeling" music rather than just "hearing" it will always keep the real classics alive. We arent just talking rap here either.

502Nels

Pro
Daps
Reppin
TheVille
LOL @ Lil' Wayne havin 1 classic let alone 6. nikkas callin anything they like classic nowadays

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Something being classic is an opinion. You can't tell a nikka something isn't a classic if he thinks it is.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
The word classic lost all meaning about over a decade ago...around the time Jay said he had 3. I'd say there's probably only about 30 classic albums in history and they're all probably from the 80's and 90's...maaaybe Supreme Clientele...that's about it.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
Classic is objective most of the time. There's only a few albums that are actually written in stone as all time classics, examples would be: Chronic,Doggystyle,Ready To Die,All Eyez On me,Illmatic,Enter The 36,OBFCL,Infamous,ATLiens,E 1999 etc..

Then you got personal and regional classics, somebody can think those Wayne mixtapes are classics but that's their personal preference, nikkas from the south will tell you 400 Degreez and Mista Dont Play are classic while evrybody else is like :scusthov: and vica versa for NY nikkas when they talk about Boot Camp Click and all that.

It only seems like it's lost meaning because one big reason; the oversaturation of rap music period. There's a new mixtape/song put out every other day so there's not even enough time to judge shyt, as soon as something drops it's either classic or trash.

fendi_mane

Banned
Daps
Well it has alot to do with the listener. I think Trap Muzik is a classic but a nicca that's not from the south might just think it's just an "ok" album. The last true classic through and through was The Documentary, you can just let that whole sh1t ride.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
Well it has alot to do with the listener. I think Trap Muzik is a classic but a nicca that's not from the south might just think it's just an "ok" album. The last true classic through and through was The Documentary, you can just let that whole sh1t ride.

Thug Motivation 101 was the last TRUE classic in my opinion.

fendi_mane

Banned
Daps
Thug Motivation 101 was the last TRUE classic in my opinion.

How in the fukk did I forget that album? Low key that album alone had a huge impact on rappers that came after and on urban culture. Jeezy brought back the bass heavy, gritty beats, with a southern spin. I guarantee there are aot of niccas that got 10 years fed time off the strength of that album.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
How in the fukk did I forget that album? Low key that album alone had a huge impact on rappers that came after and on urban culture. Jeezy brought back the bass heavy, gritty beats, with a southern spin. I guarantee there are aot of niccas that got 10 years fed time off the strength of that album.

:jawalrus:
That was the time to me an album felt like an "event"..this sit was the soundtrack for any nikka between 15-27 that was gettin money in that era, especially the south.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
It's always been a subjective term...to jaded mid-90's obssesed wu-nerd types, nothing is "classic" but the cliche list of 80's and 90's albums they grew up on and have been naming as part of "real hip hop son :beli:" orthodoxy for over a decade...thing about that is, mid-90's obssessed wu-nerd types don't have any actual influence on the game anymore other than as some sort of perpetual jaded crybaby peanut gallery in a constant state of :to: that others dare share an opinion different than their own ...and haven't in a while...there is an entire generation of hip hop fans that think Dedication 2 or Trap or Die are more classic than Liqiud Swords or some shyt....and it's their truth just as much as your truth is truth to you...