The true MCU thread (Daniel Kaluuya, Lena Dunham, JJ Abrams, Tom Hanks, Peter Farrelly, Vin Diesel)

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
As we know the first film in the Mattel Cinematic Universe is coming next summer. Barbie with Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.
The big talking point over the next few months will be what will happen after that. Do we want a Barbie 2: The Sisters or do we move on to a Monsters High live action movie or maybe a Hot Wheels racing movie?

What say you?

ryan-gosling-margot-robbie-barbie.jpg

StraxStrax

Daps
I'd really like for paramount to try to get a GI Joe/transformers thing going but I guess I'll take barbie crossing over to the brats universe if I must :pachaha:

Bratz are, sadly, not a Mattel product. It was created by a former Mattel employee and they had a 10 year long legal battle. I doubt those wounds have healed.

motionlessZombie

All Star
Daps
:ehh:

Iā€™d take a dbz franchise that studios took seriously. I always thought the flying and air combat from Man of Steel was reminiscent of what Iā€™d want to see in a DBZ film.

I don't think DBZ is a anime that would work in a live action setting. I can see it done in a Avatar style movie though. Naruto would work in live action better.

StraxStrax

Daps

Major Matt Mason

Star: Tom Hanks

Writer: Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon

Hanks will star as the Mattel astronaut action figure from the 1960s who lives and works on the moon.

UNO

Writer: Marcy Kelly

The top-performing card game in the world will now become a movie.

Wishbone

Studio: Universal

Producer: Peter Farrelly

The literary Jack Russell terrier who became famous on PBS in the '90s will now star in his own family-friendly adventure comedy, produced by the "Dumb & Dumber" filmmaker.

Matchbox

Studio: Skydance

Writer: David Coggeshall

An action movie will be based on the legendary toy cars that were invented in 1953.

Thomas & Friends

Director: Marc Forster

The "World War Z" and "Monster's Ball" director will helm a fantasy film based on the children's animated train series.

Christmas Balloon

Writer: Gabby Lugo

Producer: Chris Lemos

Not based on a toy but based on a true story of when Mattel donated toys to help make a young girl's dream come true after she tied her Christmas list to a balloon that was found by a grieving couple who worked with the toy company to fulfill the girl's wishes. Mattel looks to produce a family drama drawing from the story.
Barney

Producer: Daniel Kaluuya

The iconic purple dinosaur will inspire a live-action film that Mattel has previously described as an "A24-type" of "surrealistic" movie. Now, Brenner divulges a few more details, telling Variety, "I don't know that it's necessarily going to be darker. It's just going to be unique ā€” more of like a 'Being John Malkovich' or an 'Adaptation,'" she says, referencing the 1999 and 2002 Spike Jonze films.

"Any movie that has Barney is not certainly going to be straightforward," Brenner adds. Referencing the Seth MacFarlane comedies, she quips: "We're not making 'Ted.' You know what I mean?"

Reciting the famous "Barney" song ("I love you, you love me, we're a happy family"), the Mattel exec says the upcoming film will be about "identity and finding who you love and who feels alienated" and "what does it all mean?" Brenner says the film will "be more adult and have adult themes ā€” and sort of be a little bit off-kilter."

Polly Pocket

Studio: MGM

Star: Lily Collins

Writer/Director: Lena Dunham

The "Emily In Paris" star will star as the micro-doll in a family comedy written and directed by the "Girls" creator.

Brenner confirms to Variety that there is a script, which she enthusiastically describes as a "great" script. "First of all, they are two of my favorite ladies ever," Brenner says of Collins and Dunham. "It's been an amazing collaboration. Lena is so collaborative and rolls up her sleeves and really likes to roll around in notes and listen. She's incredible. Lily is so smart and so specific and so productorial. It's just been an incredible collaboration, so we are thrilled about it. Hopefully, we'll be making that at some point in the future."

Hot Wheels

Studio: Warner Bros.

Producer: JJ Abrams

The top-selling toy in the world will be brought to life in a film that features cars, monster trucks and motorcycles.

Abrams has described the adaptation as "grounded and gritty." Brenner tells Variety that his words mean that the film will have "real characters that you can relate to, that are three-dimensional, that have emotional journeys." She adds, "Look at any J.J. Abrams movie. All of his movies have an incredible story and incredible characters. That was something that was important to him ā€” to make a movie that's not just going to be fun and exciting, but that has real emotion and real stakes to it."

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots

Studio: Universal

Star: Vin Diesel

Writer: Ryan Engle

The "Fast & Furious" star will lead a feature based on Mattel's tabletop game of battling robots. "Vin is excited," Brenner says. "We're working on developing a script and we're all very excited about it."