The Story of How Black American Doctors are Isolated, Alienated, and Marginalized in Residency.

MarcMan

Superstar
Daps
Unfortunately, there's always going to be those trying to hold us back due to our race. All we can do is excel across a broad range of industries/functions and continue to uplift and protect one another.

We're outnumbered and frequently targeted, we have to stick together and fight the real enemies

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Part of this has to do with black folks being led to think more like Carlton or Hilary Banks over being problem solvers who are facing unique and potentially isolating situations.

I remember watching a documentary about Obama that mentioned how his mom, from an early age, told him he would be looked at and treated differently, and that he was better than those who would attempt to malign him.

No one really tells black kids this. No one says, "hey, you might have to go about this a certain way to maintain your composure and dignity, let's figure out how."

Lot of black parents expect the institution to take care of their kids.

Last edited:

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Part of this has to do with black folks being led to think more like Carlton or Hilary Banks over being problem solvers who are facing unique and potentially isolating situations.

No one really tells them, "hey, you might have to go about this a certain way to maintain your composure and dignity, let's figure out how."
What?

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Unfortunately, there's always going to be those trying to hold us back due to our race. All we can do is excel across a broad range of industries/functions and continue to uplift and protect one another.

We're outnumbered and frequently targeted, we have to stick together and fight the real enemies

Difficult to excel unless you have an understanding of what you're up against.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
A lot of white people cannot mentally handle black people in authority positions. The tones and attitudes they have no issue dealing with from white professionals become a problem when it comes from a black person. And then after they accuse a black person of being combative or aggressive, the black person naturally becomes combative or aggressive and "proves" that was the problem all along. Basically it's like being baited into reacting.

At least 35-40% of the country lose their damn mind when Obama became president for this same reason. They despise the very idea of black people with authority.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
A lot of white people cannot mentally handle black people in authority positions. The tones and attitudes they have no issue dealing with from white professionals become a problem when it comes from a black person. And then after they accuse a black person of being combative or aggressive, the black person naturally becomes combative or aggressive and "proves" that was the problem all along. Basically it's like being baited into reacting.

At least 35-40% of the country lose their damn mind when Obama became president for this same reason. They despise the very idea of black people with authority.

I have no problem with this, at any point 50% of the country dislikes the president of a country, a company, or whatever else.

I have a problem with us not being able to adapt and needing to feel liked.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

I remember watching a documentary about Obama that mentioned how his mom, from an early age, told him he would be looked at and treated differently, and that he was better than those who would attempt to malign him.

No one really tells black kids this. No one says, "hey, you might have to go about this a certain way to maintain your composure and dignity, let's figure out how."

Lot of black parents expect the institution to take care of their kids.
Disagree with this. I watched the second clip only.
How would you blame physicians well into their careers for being discriminated in professional setting.
You'd have to ignore the isolation that they experienced along the way in college + medical school to believe that their first brush with this is when they are years into their careers.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Disagree with this. I watched the second clip only.
How would you blame physicians well into their careers for being discriminated in professional setting.
You'd have to ignore the isolation that they experienced along the way in college + medical school to believe that their first brush with this is when they are years into their careers.

I don't believe it was their first brush, but I believe they were able to get through school as the "exception" for a number of years before ever really confronting any of this. School is often about following directions, putting your head down, and doing the thing.

Further, you can often find, and are often more open to advocates in University settings. So the thirty-something British lady working in advising will make sure you are good.

Professional life is far different.

The fact three black physicians all worked in an area that is less than 2% black and never knew of each other speaks volumes.

You almost have to develop black networks in such communities, otherwise you will feel isolated with no one to bounce things off of.

Last edited:

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville

Bad example. Obama promoted debauchery. That's not how normal black folks think.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
My guy Dr. Gore is an example of how to build networks l and move as a black professional (there are numerous).

Not saying it's the only way but yea. You in law, medicine, tech, etc., build some networks out here.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I don't believe it was their first brush, but I believe they were able to get through school as the "exception" for a number of years before ever really confronting any of this. School is often about following directions, putting your head down, and doing the thing.

Further, you can often find, and are often more open to advocates in University settings. So the thirty-something British lady working in advising will make sure you are good.

Professional life is far different.

The fact three black physicians all worked in an area that is less than 2% black and never knew of each other speaks volumes.

You almost have to develop black networks in such communities, otherwise you will feel isolated with no one to bounce things off of.
Segment said that they worked there in different years. I imagine that neither of them is the only Black physician in their social circle, family, alumni group, bglo, etc so I think they had support networks.

The point about working harder and being better doesn't shield you from workplace politics or discrimination.
You have to deal with situations as they present themselves, and determine the best course of action. Sometimes that means exploring other options.

We just disagree on this matter. From the brief 2 nd video, I think I've seen enough to know what they were dealing with there.