The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014 (steambox?)

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

GSkfg4N.jpg

Last year, we shipped a software feature called Big Picture, a user-interface tailored for televisions and gamepads.

This year we’ve been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living-room.

Soon, we’ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.

:ohhh: countdown ends Monday (9/23) at 1pm EST

:blessed:

Last edited:

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Imagine if they announced Half Life 3 as a launch title. :ohhh:

I can dream, right? :to:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
pretty sure it's gonna be a linux based box, but you have the option to install Windows (and Origin + BF4) if you want. lord gaben is all about this being an 'open' platform

my guess is part of the announcement will be about developing games for linux. they've been working on all this for a minute

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
I'd imagine this thing would have similar specs to the PS4/X1 to keep the price reasonable. A lot of people are curious about PC gaming, but aren't willing to put the time and money into building their own gaming PC. My question is, how long could a person realistically keep one of these things and play games smoothly? Consoles have the benefit of having static hardware throughout their lifespans, so it's easier for developers to create games for them. With PC gaming, there is so many different hardware configurations, this thing might be outdated after a few years.

What do you guys think? :ohhh:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'd imagine this thing would have similar specs to the PS4/X1 to keep the price reasonable. A lot of people are curious about PC gaming, but aren't willing to put the time and money into building their own gaming PC. My question is, how long could a person realistically keep one of these things and play games smoothly? Consoles have the benefit of having static hardware throughout their lifespans, so it's easier for developers to create games for them. With PC gaming, there is so many different hardware configurations, this thing might be outdated after a few years.

it could be somewhat modular, so you could upgrade the gpu and such

I think there's clearly a market for something a little more expensive than the consoles. like if there was a slightly better, but more expensive, version of the ps4, I'm sure a lot of people would buy it (sony probably wouldn't want that kind of fragmentation though). when they were talking about the steambox a while back, they were talking about having different 'tiers': entry, mid, high, etc. I think Valve might have their own hardware in the beginning, but I think they'd really prefer to just have it be more of an open platform, like the PC. in other words, they want other companies, or individuals, to make their own linux-based livingroom box

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Sole reason am putting off on buying any next Gen console is cause of this thing

:wow: those steam prices

@Liquid how you feel about this

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity

perhaps the Steambox would optimize game settings for the hardware the same way Geforce Experience does for individual PCs?
and i can't imagine that it would not be a modular system that couldn't be upgraded if the owner wanted.

Timmy

Rookie
Daps
I don't really see the market for this thing.

I feel like the average casual console gamer has no idea who Gabe Newell is or even what Valve is. Those who already know who he is and follow what goes on with Steam are either hardcore console gamers (the minority) or PC gamers (another minority). I'm trying to imagine what angle he could use to advertise his Steambox to the general ignorant public that would convince them to move to an unproven new console versus buying the established, familiar Xbox or Playstation.

What exclusives will the Steambox have that would bring over people from the other consoles? There aren't that may popular PC exclusives that aren't MOBAs or RTS games. Most people have decided if they want to play those kinds of games already and have purchased their console accordingly.

If you have the ability to install Windows on it and do PC things with it, why not buy a regular PC (prebuilt or self-made)? What makes this the better option? The only positive it has going for it is the absurdly good Steam sale prices for games, but you can access those already with a regular PC. Also, if the Steambox is upgradable, what is the difference between it and a regular PC to begin with?

I'm not seeing the appeal of this Steambox versus a regular gaming PC. :manny:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I don't really see the market for this thing.

I feel like the average casual console gamer has no idea who Gabe Newell is or even what Valve is. Those who already know who he is and follow what goes on with Steam are either hardcore console gamers (the minority) or PC gamers (another minority). I'm trying to imagine what angle he could use to advertise his Steambox to the general ignorant public that would convince them to move to an unproven new console versus buying the established, familiar Xbox or Playstation.

What exclusives will the Steambox have that would bring over people from the other consoles? There aren't that may popular PC exclusives that aren't MOBAs or RTS games. Most people have decided if they want to play those kinds of games already and have purchased their console accordingly.

If you have the ability to install Windows on it and do PC things with it, why not buy a regular PC (prebuilt or self-made)? What makes this the better option? The only positive it has going for it is the absurdly good Steam sale prices for games, but you can access those already with a regular PC. Also, if the Steambox is upgradable, what is the difference between it and a regular PC to begin with?

I'm not seeing the appeal of this Steambox versus a regular gaming PC. :manny:

all valid points...however i'm hoping that Gabe pulls a rabbit or two out of his hat.

i'm rooting for him.

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Another thing that concerns me is multiplayer with this thing. The whole idea of steam box/ big picture is to get that PC experience in the living room so you can play with a controller. If you've ever tried to play cod or bf3 with a controller while everyone else is using a M&KB, you'd know that you're getting your ass kicked. I have a gaming PC/htpc in my living room and that's one of the main reasons why I'm getting a PS4, for multiplayer. It's great for single player games, but just isn't feasible for multiplayer unless they funneled all of the steam box users into their own servers to keep things fair.