The Season You Were Born Could Affect Your Mood, Research Says

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
The season when you were born could hold hidden clues into your personality, new research says.

Medscape.com reports that a group of researchers in Budapest studied 366 Hungarian college students and matched certain personality types and mood disorders with birth seasons.

The work suggests that those born during certain seasons are at a greater risk for experiencing irritability and depression, as well as mood swings.
“Basically, it seems that when you are born may increase or decrease your chance of developing certain mood disorders,” Lead researcher Xenia Gonda said in a statement.

After matching the subjects’ birth seasons with personality types, the researchers found several noticeable trends:

• If you were born in either the spring or the summer, you have a tendency to be “excessively positive.”
  • People born in the summer are more likely to experience rapid mood swings consistent with bipolar disorder.
  • Autumn-born adults show less indicators of depression than those born in the winter.
  • People born in the winter were less likely to have irritability issues.
Gonda explained that a person’s birth season has an affect on their monoamine neurotransmitters, like dopamine and serotonin, which transmit signals in the brain and have a big impact on regulating mood.

“What's new from this group of researchers is the influence of season at birth and temperament. Temperaments are not disorders but biologically-driven behavioral and emotional trends,” Professor Eduard Vieta of the European College of Neuropsychopharmacology said.

Gonda told Medscape.com that the effects noticed, while impressive, were small, and that there aren't recommendations for clinicians based on the findings yet.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
  • People born in the summer are more likely to experience rapid mood swings consistent with bipolar disorder.

I'm an Introvert. I barely have moods/feelings other than 'Leave me alone' and 'Go away'.

If it weren't for the fact that my wife's a Gemini and I'm a Leo, I'd probably be a serial killer........:troll:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
'Tis. I haven't read the thread...I'll report back with my findings.

ETA: I thought it would be a bit more in depth, but it's true for me. People say I'm overly positive and my happiness is irritating...
We have the same birthday but I'm brooding