The Origin of Console Wars

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
So I don't expect there to be any appreciable improvement when it comes to talks about platform preference here but I thought I'd still share. The so-called console war that many of us are guilty of engaging in was engineered by SEGA and it's crazy :mindblown: to see how pervasive it remains in modern gaming culture. Especially considering what happened to that company. And I quote (wikipedia):
While not the only console war, the rivalry between Sega and Nintendo for dominance of the North American video game market in the late 1980s and early 1990s is generally the most visible example of a console war. It established the use of aggressive marketing and advertising tactics by each company to try to gain control of the marketplace, and ended around 1995 when a new player, Sony, entered and disrupted the console space

There's so much literature and video about this it shocks me folks remain so entrenched in the nonsense. And I say this as someone who was so upset at Microsoft for buying Rare I made a website in middle school dedicated to extolling GameCube and shytting on Xbox lol :steviej:. Years later I read the book Console Wars and was like, damn, I fell right into the marketing honeypot. It makes you wonder why this medium, among so many others, is uniquely riddled with such fierce fan bickering. When there's clear evidence none of it was organic and just manufactured to drive sales. I do recommend everyone check out that book and documentary.

9b3c4746fa53b41068ef88438a31f5437bfdfac0.jpg

Last edited:

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Also, nice try. You will never make me leave #sonygang :umad:
LMAO. That wasn't the goal. Man, I've been to two PlayStation E3 Experience events. Own a Vita, PSVR...stuff that didn't necessarily set the world on fire. Idk what I gotta I say to prove I enjoy the ecosystem. Yall got it twisted thinking I ride for any of these companies. I just think it's interesting folks believe they arrived at their level of fandom of their own volition. Nah, you were groomed :dame:.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So I don't expect there to be any appreciable improvement when it comes to talks about platform preference here but I thought I'd still share. The so-called console war that many of us are guilty of engaging in was engineered by SEGA and it's crazy :mindblown: to see how pervasive it remains in modern gaming culture. Especially considering what happened to that company. And I quote (wikipedia):

There's so much literature and video about this it shocks me folks remain so ingrained in the nonsense. And I say this as someone who was so upset at Microsoft for buying Rare I made a website in middle school dedicated to extolling GameCube and shytting on Xbox lol :steviej:. Years later I read the book Console Wars and was like, damn, I fell right into the marketing honeypot. It makes you wonder why this medium, among so many others, is uniquely riddled with such fierce fan bickering. When there's clear evidence none of it was organic and just manufactured to drive sales. I do recommend everyone check out that book and documentary.
People kinda have this deep seated need to know that when they make a choice it was the right choice.

The console wars was something that existed to me as a kid because I couldn't have them all and had to choose. Me and other friends made different choices so we argued about what was best. When I graduated from high school and got a job I realized I could just by them all. It was at that point the console wars ceased to be for me. When I got a bit older I figured out I could buy a console, sell it and use the profits to pay for my own. At that point why wouldn't I have them all?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've read a few books and watched deep dives in the years...decades gone. It's all really interesting, Console wars are for me is more of a sports type festivity. I don't take it serious, but I do enjoy the debates and back and forth.

But like you said I'm not loyal to any one company. I've owned all and supported all systems and will continue to do so as long as each has something I want to play or interesting tech or gimmick.