The Official PlayStation 5 Thread: Morning Of The PS5 Pro

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They have a shelf life of how many times they can be written to though. There's a huge difference between putting an SSD in a PC and using it as the OS drive to limit the writes and using the SSD in a game console to constantly write data to play games on. I wish they made the system drive replaceable.

I hate to say it, but if you writing 100s of TBs in a 6-7 yr span, it’s hard for me to have much sympathy for your drive dying :mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They have a shelf life of how many times they can be written to though. There's a huge difference between putting an SSD in a PC and using it as the OS drive to limit the writes and using the SSD in a game console to constantly write data to play games on. I wish they made the system drive replaceable.
There's really nothing to worry about here.

For example Samung's TBW for their SDD 850 PRO
Samsung states that their Samsung SSD 850 PRO SATA, with a capacity of 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 or 1 TB, is “built to handle 150 terabytes written (TBW), which equates to a 40 GB daily read/write workload over a ten-year period.” Samsung even promises that the product is “withstanding up to 600 terabytes written (TBW).” A normal office user writes approximately between 10 and 35 GB on a normal day. Even if one raises this amount up to 40 GB, it means that they could write (and only write) more than almost 5 years until they reach the 70 TBW limit.
Endurance Test of Samsung 850 Pro Comes To an End after 9100TB of writes
Yes, so that is 9.1 Petabyte of data written! Good lord. The German colleagues from c't (print magazine) have ended their SSD endurance tests after the last SSD decided to go belly up.

That last SSD of the survivors was the Samsung 850 Pro, and it had written an astounding 9100 TB of data, yep 9,100,000 Gigabytes. That particular SSD is rated for 150 TB written and now is three years old.
This is really nothing to be concerned about. If anything your PS5 will probably have an issue for something else before the internal SSD just goes bad out of nowhere.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
lineup-features.png
One of each of the ps5 options at Max storage get u 7 tb.

That may be enough if p10 speeds are ok

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
If I have a PS4 and PS5 in house does that mean I can buy one game digitally on my PSN account and it will work for both systems post-upgrade?

Edit: found the answer online myself. Yes you can.
Check in advance

Some companies are going to charge or have some kind of stipulation to get a 5 upgrade

Like for control you have to buy the highest edition on the 4 to be eligible for a free 5 graphic upgrade.

They initially upgraded people who bought all dlc for free then changed their mind and stipulated having to buy a specific version of the game on the 4

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
All of the fear mongering over PS4 BC and only a handful of niche games ain't compatible. :laff:

My PS4 going on Ebay tonight bruh.
I’ll be keeping my PS4 Pro as not to waste hard drive space on the PS5 for PS4 games. You only getting like 670GB of free space. Also Cold Steel IV comes out the 27th and ditching the 4 leaves no way to play it on release.