The Official PlayStation 5 Thread: Morning Of The PS5 Pro

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So when you add a ssd card you have to remove the one that’s already there?

I thought you were able to just add another card.
It's a drive. I was under the impression you pull the drive and swap it like the PS4.

The Series X and S use cards and an internal drive. The PS5 is using just the drive.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's a drive. I was under the impression you pull the drive and swap it like the PS4.

The Series X and S use cards and an internal drive. The PS5 is using just the drive.

That sucks :huhldup:
No, the expansion slot is for an additional SSD, the internal one cannot be replaced and is built into the motherboard.
PS5 expandable storage
The PS5 expandable storage and innards are revealed by sliding off the outer white wings panels. While the 825GB of internal storage can not be replaced — it’s built in to the PlayStation 5’s motherboard — there is an easily accessible SSD bay. Users can install PCIe 4.0-based M.2 drives and you can get more details on the custom I/O unit in Mark Cerny’s technical breakdown right here. It will be interesting to see how this stacks up against the currently Seagate dominated situation on Xbox Series X. You’ll also find easily accessible dust catchers in there that you can clean out.
Sony shows PS5 expandable storage, cooling system, more - 9to5Toys

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Short term it does but long term the drives aren't proprietary so the prices will fall on them. The prices on the cards will likely remain high.
They’d have to come down in price a lot to overcome the fact that you have to remove ~850 GB to use one. For $200 you have 2TB of storage on Xbox. Gonna be a long time before you can get a 2TB PS5 compatible drive for that price.

Beyond that Microsoft has already confirmed that 3rd parties will be able to make the expansion cards so prices should be competitive.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lineup-features.png

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well that really sucks because in 10 years or less that SSD will likely end up failing and taking the system's entire internal storage with it.
It's most likely something to not worry about as SSD's will probably last for over 10 years and in 10 years people will most likely be upgrading to a theoretical PS6. Plus it's not mechanical like HDD's we're used to.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's most likely something to not worry about as SSD's will probably last for over 10 years and in 10 years people will most likely be upgrading to a theoretical PS6. Plus it's not mechanical like HDD's we're used to.
They have a shelf life of how many times they can be written to though. There's a huge difference between putting an SSD in a PC and using it as the OS drive to limit the writes and using the SSD in a game console to constantly write data to play games on. I wish they made the system drive replaceable.