The Official PlayStation 5 Thread: Dawn Of PS5 Pro

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I've been on record here saying that I think the PS5 Pro is a bad move and unnecessary.

*But* now that the time has rolled around and it has been officially unveiled and priced out, I have had a change of heart. I'm pre-ordering/buying it + a disc drive.

The biggest issue I have with the standard PS5 is the poor image quality in many current-gen, 3rd party games' performance modes (I don't care about ray tracing). This should alleviate that. If the PS5 was able to magically receive PSSR, then it would be more than good enough for me, but unfortunately it won't. I was actually hoping that they would surprise us and announce a Playstation approved PSSR like upscaling solution for all PS5 systems.

Anyways, I don't care for the disingenuous comparisons to PCs that I am seeing around social media. They are always flawed in some way, whether its price, components or utility.

Anyone who can understand the well defined market for an iPad Pro, iPhone Pro, Samsung Galaxy Ultra, Pixel Pro, Intel 12/13/14700K or better, RTX 3080/4070 or better etc, should understand the market this caters to and why Sony is releasing a product like this for such a high price.*

$699USD ($959 Canadian for me) is a steep price to pay. If a consumer looks at that price and has to weigh the options of buying it vs getting groceries or paying rent or whatever, then it's not a product for them and that's fine.
Choosing to spend your disposable cash on different entertainment/luxury products is also fine.

fukk all the extra diva shyt and complaining happening online.

*Anyone who is a financial nerd like me could review Sony's quarterly reports and notice that the more hardware they sold, the lower their profit margins were. The cost of manufacturing and shipping hardware, in combination with highly volatile currency fluctuations, means that they are tired of taking losses to sell hardware. The bill of materials for the PS5 (and controllers) have gone down a bit, but the other costs associated that help bring that product to shelf near you have not. The past 4 years have been really weird.

Anyone who doesn’t get a pro is playin themselves :yeshrug:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Bought a disc drive and stand in preparation for the Pro. Gonna preorder the Pro day 1 and I'm gonna cop the WD 8TB SSD once it's confirmed M2 drives can be put in the same way.

Why lie to myself? :manny:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I've been on record here saying that I think the PS5 Pro is a bad move and unnecessary.

*But* now that the time has rolled around and it has been officially unveiled and priced out, I have had a change of heart. I'm pre-ordering/buying it + a disc drive.

The biggest issue I have with the standard PS5 is the poor image quality in many current-gen, 3rd party games' performance modes (I don't care about ray tracing). This should alleviate that. If the PS5 was able to magically receive PSSR, then it would be more than good enough for me, but unfortunately it won't. I was actually hoping that they would surprise us and announce a Playstation approved PSSR like upscaling solution for all PS5 systems.

Anyways, I don't care for the disingenuous comparisons to PCs that I am seeing around social media. They are always flawed in some way, whether its price, components or utility.

Anyone who can understand the well defined market for an iPad Pro, iPhone Pro, Samsung Galaxy Ultra, Pixel Pro, Intel 12/13/14700K or better, RTX 3080/4070 or better etc, should understand the market this caters to and why Sony is releasing a product like this for such a high price.*

$699USD ($959 Canadian for me) is a steep price to pay. If a consumer looks at that price and has to weigh the options of buying it vs getting groceries or paying rent or whatever, then it's not a product for them and that's fine.
Choosing to spend your disposable cash on different entertainment/luxury products is also fine.

fukk all the extra diva shyt and complaining happening online.

*Anyone who is a financial nerd like me could review Sony's quarterly reports and notice that the more hardware they sold, the lower their profit margins were. The cost of manufacturing and shipping hardware, in combination with highly volatile currency fluctuations, means that they are tired of taking losses to sell hardware. The bill of materials for the PS5 (and controllers) have gone down a bit, but the other costs associated that help bring that product to shelf near you have not. The past 4 years have been really weird.
Cheaper then the pc equivalent.

They got 13 million people to buy it at a profit. Join us or stay on your generic console.

They tryna get a billy out of the pro by 2029

Last edited:

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm

Newly announced features

Welcome hub (phased release)

We are introducing a new personalized space in your PS5 home screen called Welcome hub – a dedicated space you can customize with widgets, allowing you to see information at a glance before you begin your gaming sessions. For players in the U.S, Welcome hub will replace the current Explore tab with enhanced customizability and an upgraded user experience.

hxqDCUb.jpeg

You can easily customize your Welcome hub by selecting from a variety of widgets*, including console storage, battery levels for accessories, online friends, trophies, and many more. Use presets to quickly change your layout, and simply select and arrange a variety of widgets as you see fit. You can change the size of your widgets, expanding or shrinking them to give more focus to the features that are most important to you.

In addition, you can also change your Welcome hub’s background. Choose from a range of designs, including some with cool animated effects, or pick out a screenshot from your own Media Gallery for a truly personal touch.
eBXV37K.jpeg

Welcome hub will become available to select users in the U.S. starting later today. We will gradually expand support in other regions over the coming weeks, starting with players in Japan, followed by select countries in Europe, and finally releasing worldwide.