Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Daps
Black is the future. Always bet on black.

I am currently reading a book that covers the history of the game in England, and it's very clear about how hard it was for black players to break into teams and how openly racist people were toward black players. It also argues that because of continued discrimination and racism toward black players, buying good black players will be a canny move for teams who want to win on a budget because those players cost less due to racism.

And I look at Liverpool, which has definitely shelled out cash, but which also gets contributions from black players who aren't the cost of VVD like Winaldjum and Origi and that they're starting an African in their front three, and who are a club that most people agree has spent cannily even for such a big club (especially compared to the cash that PSG, Man City, and Man United have thrown around at the same time) and I truly believe that someone in Liverpool's executive knows that black players and any players from the African continent who aren't white are being badly undervalued because of racism and has taken advantage of that in the last few transfer windows and in their general player recruitment.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Never forget...

“Dembele’s level is better now than Neymar’s, he’s a much better player than Neymar and he’s already adapted.”
-Josep Bartomeu

giphy.gif

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
breh
Madrid bout to poach Pogba and Hazard your league's two most talented players

Barca bout to retool and spend some nations gdp. Liverpool winning the finals but Liverpool are a historically strong champions league team and the current team has alot of dogs in them. These other English teams are not built for CL.
act like Liverpool isn't by far the best english team of all time in europe. when Bayern was doing great in the CL, nobody was talking about the dominant German league.

pl fanboys are bout to be on overdrive.
Barca have no money. They can't have, with how much they spent on Dembele, Countinho, De Jong and potential De ligt. Countinho does not deserve to be wearing a barca jersey. Such a disgusting flop, worst barca player alongside that filthy rat alba.

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
well done to liverpool. thought it couldn't be done, but they proved me wrong. kudos

barca tho? get those fraud ass bum tf outta here. completely dominated by not only the liverpool press, but the occasion.

anfield was too much for them and they crumbled. pathetic

JDH

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I am currently reading a book that covers the history of the game in England, and it's very clear about how hard it was for black players to break into teams and how openly racist people were toward black players. It also argues that because of continued discrimination and racism toward black players, buying good black players will be a canny move for teams who want to win on a budget because those players cost less due to racism.

And I look at Liverpool, which has definitely shelled out cash, but which also gets contributions from black players who aren't the cost of VVD like Winaldjum and Origi and that they're starting an African in their front three, and who are a club that most people agree has spent cannily even for such a big club (especially compared to the cash that PSG, Man City, and Man United have thrown around at the same time) and I truly believe that someone in Liverpool's executive knows that black players and any players from the African continent who aren't white are being badly undervalued because of racism and has taken advantage of that in the last few transfer windows and in their general player recruitment.
I think Gil scott Heron's father was the first professional black player in Scotland. @Fenian

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
THIS!

We saw it at the World Cup as well (Mbappe vs Argentina's back line).

The physical demands of the modern game can no longer ignored. You obviously need tekkers as well, but I could imagine a seismic shift in the make up of the elite players in the coming future.

I've been thinking about this for a bit throughout the Premier League season...particularly as it pertains to some of these great Serie A players (read: Sarri's crew at Chelsea) coming to England and looking overwhelmed at times with the speed and intensity of the game.

I haven't had the time to watch other leagues as much, so maybe someone with more knowledge can tell me if this is the case throughout Europe, but this trend seems to be very prominent in the Premiership as of late. At least, to my relatively untrained eyes.