Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

hommeaetage

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Texas
While Kante is the best DM in the world, when has he played in the middle of a 3 for more than 2 games? Leicester he was alongside Drinkwater, then with Chelsea he played next to one of Matic/Cesc/Baka. And then in the WC, he was alongside Pogba, where he screened when France attacked. In a 3, his game is more suited to being one of the side midfielders.

If Kante had Fernandinho level passing then yeah he should be playing at the base of the 3, but he doesn't.
Spot on

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Thank you, it's like dudes keep parroting tired narratives, I'm convinced they don't watch football or have never actually watched Kante at all

But Kante would offer more defensively that what Jorginho is doing at that position and probably keep the same level of offensive output. That's the argument of Kante being played out of position. If Jorginho was getting assists and delivering those deep regista passes like he should, then that's a different story.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But Kante would offer more defensively that what Jorginho is doing at that position and probably keep the same level of offensive output. That's the argument of Kante being played out of position. If Jorginho was getting assists and delivering those deep regista passes like he should, then that's a different story.

it just wouldn't work Kante does not have the capability to play that role at all, nor does he just sit in the DM role all game he never has. This idea that people have that all Kante does is destroy is bizarre to me.

Sarri will not change his philosophy, so with that in mind how would you construct the midfield to perform in the way Sarri would like?

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
it just wouldn't work Kante does not have the capability to play that role at all, nor does he just sit in the DM role all game he never has. This idea that people have that all Kante does is destroy is bizarre to me

He offers far more defensive cover than Jorginho does ATM. He's a better screen for the back 4

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He offers far more defensive cover than Jorginho does ATM. He's a better screen for the back 4

Sarri will not change his philosophy, so with that in mind how would you construct the midfield to perform in the way Sarri would like?

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
Apart from the Penalty shootout, that was much better. :ehh:

Why we couldn't do that against them at the etihad, I don't know, but at least it shows the gaffer isn't as inflexible as we all thought.

RLC and CHO looked good when they came on. :ehh: Still not 100% on Barkley, though. :francis:

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Apart from the Penalty shootout, that was much better. :ehh:

Why we couldn't do that against them at the etihad, I don't know, but at least it shows the gaffer isn't as inflexible as we all thought.

RLC and CHO looked good when they came on. :ehh: Still not 100% on Barkley, though. :francis:

And Barkley was touted as a fearless attacking midfielder :hhh:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I agree that most of the squad need a overhaul. But the thing is even with a new squad I don't see Sarri winning anything (at least not in the big leagues)
He's an ideologue (like Bielsa). You can't like this in modern football
He can be but this kind of coach needs the be all powerful which is impossible in Chelsea. Bielsa (relatively) succeeded in Bilbao, Marseille and is currently being successful in Leeds (tied 3rd but with a match in hand). Sarri's Napoli was a very good team and Sarri managed to reign supreme because he's a Napolitan so the trust in him was easy. The issue is that the Serie A is locked by Juve for a couple of years still. Last year, Napoli, point tally would have made them champion the last previous season (depending on the goal average I guess).

Chelsea is burning managers are a crazy rate and basically needs to do what City did. Give full reign to the manager for them to make a complete overhaul of the players. Take the first year as a transitional one and build from it by identifying the weaknesses and hurdles. Only way for Chelsea to get rid of its current toxicity. They have some good youth and could get a good core with Kepa, Rudiger, Kante, RLC et CHO to build around.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
If Chelsea didn't have that transfer ban they should sell all their key players besides Kante.

Crazy how Kepa made Sarri look like a chump and the team supported him. Even if Kepa wasn't hurt, tactically it made sense for Caballero to come on. Remember when Van Gaal subbed on Krul at the last minute in a World Cup game, and Krul won them the shootout?