Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Madrid and Zizou should just focus on winning Champs League and Copa del Rey at this point. If they can 3-peat Champs league then Zizou buys himself some more time.

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Arsenal is par for the course, these are not the days of throwing Wilshere, Vela, Gibbs for the cup games, the talent has diminished. Man almost everyone was wrong about Real, that demolition of Barca in their charity shield equivalent cup was looking ominous and now everyone has lost form. PSG could do them but I question their heart, the 2nd Bayern game had worrying signs about them dudes.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
coutinho-iniesta-role_tsh2u08tdvoe1mgs9teliq94z.png

:banderas:

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
PHILIPPE COUTINHO WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Hour-by-hour, the gripping inside story of the Brazilian's £145m record deal to Barcelona from Liverpool

It is an historic transfer, a deal that will be the most expensive in English football history. After his medical at 8am on Monday, Philippe Coutinho will be presented as a Barcelona player in a transfer worth £145million.

In the final days before his move, Sportsmail was given unprecedented access, with Chief Sports Photographer Andy Hooper and Head of Sport Lee Clayton invited to join the Brazilian on his journey.

Here is what we witnessed...

Private room, Les Ambassadeurs restaurant, London. Thursday, Jan 4, 9pm.

The extraordinary pull, some might say seductive power, of Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho is laid bare around a table set for 12. He sits alongside his charming wife of five years, Aine, his mother and father, two brothers and their wives and his agent, Kia Joorabchian.

Where will they live when they arrive in Spain? One possible residence has already been chosen by an unlikely source.

The president of Barcelona, Josep Maria Bartomeu, asked one of his senior players which hotel Philippe might prefer during his settling-in period. 'No, presidente, there is no need for a hotel. I already have a house for him...'

The beautiful residence is in the Bellemar neighbourhood of Castelldefels, a beach town along the coast from Barcelona, with four miles of sand and set back in the hills overlooking the coast. The player who signed for the house is Luis Suarez.

Lionel Messi is another in the neighbourhood. When asked recently if Messi was a good neighbour, Suarez said: 'Well, he has great security, which helps us all.'

Coutinho explains: 'He saw that a house next to his became available. He didn't know I was coming for certain but he liked the idea. It's a kind gesture. We've seen the pictures, the views look amazing. We are in touch all the time and I look forward to seeing the property with my family. I know Luis will help us to feel at home.'

So that's one team-mate on the left of Suarez, one on the right. It could be a metaphor for how Barcelona's forward line will play. Coutinho's role in the team is yet to be discussed; a deeper quarterback passing role or one further up the pitch. That chat with the coach will come later.

The conversation turns to his shirt number. 'All the numbers have been distributed,' he is told.

'What about your favourite, 10?' someone asks.

'No! No! No! There is only one No 10 at Barcelona (Messi),' Coutinho replies with a wide smile. 'He is the best player in the world, the ultimate No 10.'

Coutinho will tell Barcelona he will take the number he is given, without complaint.

Pedro Obiang of West Ham has just rifled a thunderbolt goal into the roof of the Wembley net to shouts of appreciation, but Dele Alli is being discussed around the table by Coutinho and is a player highly appreciated in these circles. The mood is comfortable, relaxed. Flying times by private jet from London to Barcelona are discussed, but in a casual fashion.

The deal to become the most expensive signing in Spanish football history and the most expensive sale from the Premier League is close, although the contracts are still to be finalised and the announcements are yet to be made. Coutinho is keen for the Merseyside derby to be played before anything formal ends the speculation over one of football's worst-kept secrets.

Lucas Leiva of Lazio calls via FaceTime to send his best wishes to his friends. A former Liverpool Brazilian himself, he has been voted Italy's player of the month earlier in the day.

'How far is it to fly from Barcelona to Rome?' he asks.

Coutinho's daughter, Maria, interrupts proceedings by singing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star in English to applause around the table.

There had been at least one spanner in the works of a complex deal earlier in the week.

Liverpool's Boston owners, having reluctantly agreed to sell their star asset to Barcelona, had then suggested the Catalan club might loan him back to Anfield for the rest of the season. Coutinho is, after all, cup-tied for the Champions League. Financially, this would have worked out favourably. Joorabchian points out that Liverpool's owners did everything in their power to keep the player.

'This is not about money,' Coutinho says now. 'It's about the chance to play for Barcelona, to live in Barcelona.' Barcelona rejected the idea of a loan.

'Missing the Champions League means you will be fresh for the World Cup, my friend,' adds Leiva via live link from Rome. 'It's not ideal, but you have to look at things positively.' At 25, there are many more opportunities to come.

Mikael Silvestre, a winner of five Premier League titles and the Champions League at Manchester United, is also in attendance as a recent addition to Joorabchian's management stable. With guidance from Leiva and Silvestre, that's 522 Premier League appearances and 64 caps in the room. Coutinho is well supported.

It is also worth remembering that Coutinho has spent six months in Barcelona already, playing 16 games and scoring five goals for Espanyol during a loan spell from Inter Milan, so he has an idea what he is walking into. And what he is leaving behind.

Park Lane, London. Friday, Jan 5, 8pm.

It's derby day on Merseyside, but the Reds are without their playmaker. Instead, he is in a hotel room cheering for them remotely.

Earlier in the day, Coutinho has more treatment on a thigh injury that has forced him to miss the last two games. 'I am a few days away from being able to play, but I can't wait to get the ball at my feet again,' he says.

He has finished his Anfield career with seven goals in eight games and he has this to say about the club he is leaving behind: 'They are in a healthy position, with very, very good footballers.

'The signing of Virgil van Dijk is a statement, Mo Salah is a wonderful footballer. I look forward to watching them win trophies and to celebrating their success. I would not have left for any other club, but Barcelona is something different. It is a dream, a place of magic for me.

'When I was young I would watch Ronaldinho play, I would watch him give magic. Now they have Messi doing the same.

'When I played there (the Nou Camp) for Espanyol against Barcelona, I saw the magic was for real because Messi scored four goals!' He resorts to Portuguese to say: 'He does things to make your jaw drop wide open.

'And then there is Suarez, Iniesta, Paulinho...'

Liverpool defeat Everton 2-1 as Coutinho watches with his daughter on his knee. Van Dijk's headed winner brings him to his feet. Later the mood grows tense as it is apparent that final terms are still being thrashed out. Flight times have changed three times already.

There has been a social media posting black-out, although Coutinho has a videographer as well as Sportsmail's Andy Hooper to capture the unfolding events.

A statement to the Liverpool fans is discussed at length and agreed. The message of farewell is personal and genuine.

He admits: 'I feel anxious right now. Not tomorrow when we fly, but now. I am between clubs. I am sitting in London with you, not at Liverpool and not yet at Barcelona. Not yet.'

A call from a senior Barcelona official lifts the mood again.

As the clock ticks past midnight, Joorabchian declares: 'Philippe, today is the day you become a Barcelona player...'

Rest of the article:

Philippe Coutinho world exclusive: From Liverpool to Barca | Daily Mail Online

Good article about what happened in the time frame before Coutinho officially made the move.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Arsenal were awful :laff:
Welbeck and Theo :laff:
Madrid selling a striker and not replacing him :laff:
MU are about to get like 120 for De Gea :dead: