Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See I disagree. At some point just because some one is singing it stopped being Soul and became R&B. At some point just because some one is rapping it doesnt have to be rap. An If you listen to M.I.A.'s Kala and Matangi outside of a few tracks its analog as fukk. There's loads of drums and driving beats, and really not much electronica at all. In fact i'd say she's more influenced by bollywood, funk cairoca and hip-hop more than anything. But it's not electronica. And Kendrick is a special talent, man. GKMC wasn't just the best album of that year it was the best of a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. Better than some of the most seminal artists in the field. To say he isn't all that special is the downplay the talent that he REALLY does have, he's on of the very few artists that deserves all the praise he gets.

And as far as searching for music, this is something that has happened to ALL forms of music. There aren't any more jazz stations, R&B is virtually non-existent, neo-soul is kaput, and house, funk and electronica are all really niche now. The only things really commercially persistent is pop, mainstream rap and country.
I feel what you're saying...we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Oh and j. cole is ultra trash and his bars are kiddie pool shalloe....just felt like putting that out there :yeshrug:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
:snoop: heads said that in the late 80's...enter jungle...heads said that in the early 00's...enter grime and dubstep...and it goes on and on (and thats just us uk heads)...you forget how fuccing creative and resilient black americans have been when it comes to music. You man have created blues, jazz, rock, rnb, house, hip hop etc etc...so really the :heh: should be directed at you for doubting black americans ability to create some new sh1t.

Let's keep it 100...the only reason you man ain't moved on from hip hop en masse is because you can still potentially make alot of money from it and you don't necessarily need to have a natural talent like singing or the ability to play an instrument to succeed, which would otherwise exclude alot of people out the gate
I would argue hip-hop has evolved as much as the roll from jungle/grime/dubstep. Saying that hip/hop hasn't evolved, to me, is one of the sillier statements. It obviously has, just the terms :hip-hop and rap will be brandished on anything that involves people rhyming on a track.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would argue hip-hop has evolved as much as the roll from jungle/grime/dubstep. Rnb, rock, house, jazz are completely different with their own rules. Saying that hip/hop hasn't evolved, to me, is one of the sillier statements. It obviously has, just the terms :hip-hop and rap will be brandished on anything that involves people rhyming on a track.
I never said hip hop hasn't evolved though...it clearly has. I'm talking about moving on as in creating something new thats completely different. I know what you're trying to say with the hip hop evolution equivalent but only Grime and dubstep work in that argument. Jungle, no.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
There's something about J. Cole that's just so banal and :snooze: . Something about the way he delivers his line, his persona, his tepid production. I never listen to a J. Cole joint and am completely blown away from it. He just lacks impact and style, I guess.

Like that Wet Dreamz joint off his latest. Nobody gives a fukk about how you lost your virginity breh....... :dead:

He stays being the turkey sub on white bread with mayo of hip hop :ehh:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
I lump them together because I feel like they're part of the same temporary rap music that I'm so used to. I see really no value in most of it and they'll barely be a footnote at the end of the day, even if they're starting some movement or have their own sound and lane. I've just become so keenly aware over the past few years of identifying artists and rappers that won't have longevity.

Probably because I've hitched onto a lot of artists in the past that aren't shyt these days :mjcry:

Dave Matthews of rap :dead:

This might sound c00nish but that thread in the booth about how the pro-black movement we're seeing re-emerging in rap does sorta reek of calculated maneuvers by rappers. That's real cynical and c00nish like I said, but I never underestimate the ability of people to commodify their dissent :mjcry:
But I feel like the search to find something timeless only leads you to listening to things that have been done time and time before.

Longevity is super fukking overrated and really, really boring. How many great rock acts simply embodied the time they were from and the movement they were apart of and vanished and became irrelevant as shyt moved on, but we still love them for being these perfect time capsules for an era.

I'll be listening to A.D.H.D. my whole life, but it'll be hearing Thugga's "Givenchy" that'll remind me of life in 2014. Imperfections making something perfect and all that. Just like how I already get wistful when I hear any track from Dedication 2 or "Something You Forgot" from Tha Carter 3 sessions leak :mjcry:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I'd rather not get on Migos and Rae Sremmurd and them. While they aren't Nas, they have a lane. Nothing is wrong that lane.

A joint like Iggy, thats a problem. She is flagrantly appropriating and doesnt care that it offends people (and fukk TI for allowing this). She can do what she wants, but its horrible and people notice.

As for the genre itself, rap has been in a nadir for about 10 years or so for me. There are some roses that grow out of concrete but a most of the music is embarrassing and record sales reflect that. So what do record companies do? Push out more garbage, but at a faster pace. And miss me with digital sales, etc. Its not selling, people do not want it.

Aint shyt else to do but let it eat itself alive, which it has been doing for a while now, and wait for it to pick itself back up but on a smaller scale. It happened to rock music That genre is dead even tho its influences are everywhere. Its not mainstream at all anymore and hasnt been for damn near 20 years. Its currently happening to rap music, and I say cool. I have no problem with that because things may be better that way.

As for JCole. Breh is boring as music. Thats the other thing I dislike about rap fans. Just because he real and talks honest stuff, doesnt mean that I have to like him. I didnt really fukk with Joe Budden because I found him boring. That was okay 13 years ago, but its not okay now because there arent that many dope rappers out there? Miss me with that.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
But I feel like the search to find something timeless only leads you to listening to things that have been done time and time before.

Longevity is super fukking overrated and really, really boring. How many great rock acts simply embodied the time they were from and the movement they were apart of and vanished and became irrelevant as shyt moved on, but we still love them for being these perfect time capsules for an era.

I'll be listening to A.D.H.D. my whole life, but it'll be hearing Thugga's "Givenchy" that'll remind me of life in 2014. Imperfections making something perfect and all that. Just like how I already get wistful when I hear any track from Dedication 2 or "Something You Forgot" from Tha Carter 3 sessions leak :mjcry:

That's a way to find meaning and worth in piffle I suppose, but that's the extent of it, but then I feel that that gets into the whole nostalgia department of the internet.

And I gotta disagree with longevity being overrated and boring. To me if an artist is able to go from strength to strength and reinvent themselves while staying relevant, or someone who has the writing chops to peer outside themselves and report on the wider world, community, that's a true artist. Like I think of Bowie (just off the top of the head, one example) when I think that shyt, and there are very few out there who are capable of having that staying power, or releasing music that has that staying power.

Slightly tangential I guess all this is, but I suppose this could just be me wanting legitimate cultural footnotes and communal, musical classics that touch society in some ways beyond mimicry, spoofs, sarcasm and parodies. Instead we got Gangnam Style :mjcry:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
That's a way to find meaning and worth in piffle I suppose, but that's the extent of it, but then I feel that that gets into the whole nostalgia department of the internet.

And I gotta disagree with longevity being overrated and boring. To me if an artist is able to go from strength to strength and reinvent themselves while staying relevant, or someone who has the writing chops to peer outside themselves and report on the wider world, community, that's a true artist. Like I think of Bowie (just off the top of the head, one example) when I think that shyt, and there are very few out there who are capable of having that staying power, or releasing music that has that staying power.

Slightly tangential I guess all this is, but I suppose this could just be me wanting legitimate cultural footnotes and communal, musical classics that touch society in some ways beyond mimicry, spoofs, sarcasm and parodies. Instead we got Gangnam Style :mjcry:
But my point is, those are rare, and will only reveal themselves in time. Plus, again with Cole, someone who starts off being an anachronism I'm hardly going to give credit for being relevant through changing times. Like, what reason do we have to believe now that Kendrick will evolve more than Thugga other than historically based bias?

And I think I'd say longevity is overrated only because aritst who set out for that from the onset, like J fukking Cole, never dare take a musical risk. It's always very neat steps within the realm of already proven respectability.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
But my point is, those are rare, and will only reveal themselves in time. Plus, again with Cole, someone who starts off being an anachronism I'm hardly going to give credit for being relevant through changing times. Like, what reason do we have to believe now that Kendrick will evolve more than Thugga other than historically based bias?

And I think I'd say longevity is overrated only because aritst who set out for that from the onset, like J fukking Cole, never dare take a musical risk. It's always very neat steps within the realm of already proven respectability.

I see, good points. We'll just have to wait and see :manny:

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look at Outkast. Everyone now praises them up and down and claims to love all their shyt. But look at the tepid ass response the vast majority of their music got at their festival performances. :mjpls: For a generation of people who now swear up and down that they loved them it really seemed like they didn't know pretty much anything from their discography aside from the obvious.

The folks who were really fukking with Kast in their day, ain't the folks at them festivals tho

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The folks who were really fukking with Kast in their day, ain't the folks at them festivals tho
I know that, entirely. But the people at those festivals claim up and down Outkast is great when talking about the current state of hip-hop, especially to prove that they like southern shyt, too. Outkast is the token act any current writer or J.Cole fan trots out as "good" southern hip-hop. But it was those types at those festivals and they didn't know a thing.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here's my thing with cats like Thugga, Quan and em, beats are nice as shiit, but i can't really fuuc with them vocals too much tho. 1 or 2 songs cool, but after that, nah i'm good.

What I wanna with some of these new age acts is what they used to do with Reggae back in the days. Have the regular vocal version, and then a dub version, chop up the vox, put some affects stuff like that.

That'll be nice

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
Really good conversation going on in here right now.

I remember coming across Iggy in 2011 when she released the video for that song "p*ssy". Three minutes of a pretty (white) girl with a big ass rapping about her p*ssy. Cool. Found it appealing in a very ratchet way. Realized she wasn't that good of a rapper, and I'd be wasting my time investigating any further after hearing a couple of her other tracks. Loved the pic of her in some grey sweats with the ass poking out though.

Fast forward to her getting a major label deal (?) and dropping/flopping singles left and right (??), suddenly she's got a hit record that's hard to avoid unless you don't listen to the radio at all (???). I still think "Fancy" only got over because of Charli XCX (and payola), I haven't heard anything about a followup single to it (unless "No Mediocre" counts), and yet Iggy is still here. Nominated for an album of the year Grammy and everything. And the more "famous" she gets, the worse her mouth gets, the less of a fukk she gives, and the more she exposes herself as someone who only knows enough about hip hop to get paid off of it.

Honestly I'm not even mad at her. I can easily ignore her. I don't listen to the radio, the artists I like haven't worked with her, and unless I'm in a place where they play shytty music, I'll never hear her unless I choose to. I'm more mad at the people who prop her up, both on the industry side and the fan side. I agree with the sentiment that @Morning Scruuub and others have, that hip hop has run its course by and large, peaked a long time ago, and is slowly yet surely dying. I thought 2014 was a bad year for music in general, I can't think of an album that came out this year that I liked from start to finish, but I can barely think of 10 hip hop/rap songs that I cared for this year. And that's BAD. Yet, there's still a metric fukkton of music coming out, and there's people supporting it. I laughed when I read the Bobby Smurda charges the other day. I feel bad for laughing at a kid for getting caught up in looking hard for the streets. I feel GREAT for the fact that this might end his shytty little career though. He's "famous" for mumbling a freestyle, flipping a fukking cap, and shaking his ass. Seriously? fukk that, fukk this genre, and fukk you for supporting it.

I'm rambling. Twenty years from now when the majority of OFT is in our 40s, we're going to look back at Nas' "Hip Hop Is Dead" album/campaign as the words of a prophet. Someone post some house/electro that I need to hear, please.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know that, entirely. But the people at those festivals claim up and down Outkast is great when talking about the current state of hip-hop, especially to prove that they like southern shyt, too. Outkast is the token act any current writer or J.Cole fan trots out as "good" southern hip-hop. But it was those types at those festivals and they didn't know a thing.

But that's how it is with everything, you always got your poser, and fronting asss muffuccasss.

shyt before Kast, Face was the token Southern Rapper that those types claimed to love so much