Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
well, the point of this game is that it wasn't elite-level MLS. if they were elite, they'd have gotten in directly

in league terms it was the 9th best against the 10th best team
Oh, didn't know. My bad then, I had in mind that KC were 1st of the league and the defending champions. :snoop:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Oh, didn't know. My bad then, I had in mind that KC were 1st of the league and the defending champions. :snoop:
not your bad, you dedicated way more words than you should've breaking it down, that's why you're so loved :leon:

they are defending champs, but parity is a hell of a thing

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Finished that Mourinho Casillas article :heh:

Article glosses over so many aspects of Mourinho's tenure for Real that it's hard to take it serious.

And it never really explained the coward jibe in the headline. From my reading Jose was never really cowardly, except for the eye-poke maybe.
the worst part is that it stated Casillias was "unquestionably the best goalkeeper in teh world" back in 2010.

Not only is that absurdly not true, he was falling off before that point

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Finished that Mourinho Casillas article :heh:

Article glosses over so many aspects of Mourinho's tenure for Real that it's hard to take it serious.

And it never really explained the coward jibe in the headline. From my reading Jose was never really cowardly, except for the eye-poke maybe.
I need to get into footy blogging. I think I will soon start a blog talking about the most meaningless stuff happening in football but in 5K characters (I will call it something like "Musings of a football profane" just to fukk with footy "experts"). My first entry might even be about Dortmund an the quasi quantic state of the start of their season throwing Schrodinger or Planck's names and Alice in Wonderland references all the way to make it look like I know what I'm talmbout. I think I kinda have a gift to put hella words into saying nothing which is really important in nowadays journalism, it seems.

not your bad, you dedicated way more words than you should've breaking it down, that's why you're so loved :leon:

they are defending champs, but parity is a hell of a thing
Oh I was not totally unaware of the situation then. :heh:
But it's good to witness a proper following by the US fans, stadiums not full yet but it may have been at 50/60% on a thursday which is nice considering what footy represents in the US. Pretty soon, football will be top 4 in the US... within a decade ? :mjpls: And do the US teams take part in the Copa Libertadores ?

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
yesterday walking to the train (from the match) I actually heard a proper discussion about Arsenal

proper englishmen with proper accents talking to each other about their team

it was such a novelty that i slowed down my walking pace a bit to hear more :heh:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Oh I was not totally unaware of the situation then. :heh:
But it's good to witness a proper following by the US fans, stadiums not full yet but it may have been at 50/60% on a thursday which is nice considering what footy represents in the US. Pretty soon, football will be top 4 in the US... within a decade ? :mjpls: And do the US teams take part in the Copa Libertadores ?

you actually touched on an interesting point

there is always an argument about this... is it better to get 25,000 (if this was a weekend game, it would have gotten that number) - but that 25,000 has a lot of 'casual fans' in there. more kids and families, less atmosphere

or... a night like last night. 15,000 but everyone single one of them caring, making noise, ooooh when its a good pass, ahhhhh after a through ball, clap after a good tackle.. players said yesterday they couldn't hear each other sometimes- and this is only at 50/60% capacity

personally i will always enjoy the smaller attendance more

US teams don't do libertadores, not yet anyway

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
the "long form" that passes for intellectual football writing these days :heh:

its fukking shyt. and it has become a parody of itself cause everyone is so serious about it. no breh, writing 5,000 words on something everyone already knows about doesn't mean you're special

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I need to get into footy blogging. I think I will soon start a blog talking about the most meaningless stuff happening in football but in 5K characters (I will call it something like "Musings of a football profane" just to fukk with footy "experts"). My first entry might even be about Dortmund an the quasi quantic state of the start of their season throwing Schrodinger or Planck's names and Alice in Wonderland references all the way to make it look like I know what I'm talmbout. I think I kinda have a gift to put hella words into saying nothing which is really important in nowadays journalism, it seems.

Brian Phillips already beat you to the punch in that regard.

the worst part is that it stated Casillias was "unquestionably the best goalkeeper in teh world" back in 2010.

Not only is that absurdly not true, he was falling off before that point

There a bunch of smh moments and selective language to prove the author's point. Sad thing is I bet the kid felt like he was writing a grand opus and shyt :ffs:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
you actually touched on an interesting point

there is always an argument about this... is it better to get 25,000 (if this was a weekend game, it would have gotten that number) - but that 25,000 has a lot of 'casual fans' in there. more kids and families, less atmosphere

or... a night like last night. 15,000 but everyone single one of them caring, making noise, ooooh when its a good pass, ahhhhh after a through ball, clap after a good tackle.. players said yesterday they couldn't hear each other sometimes- and this is only at 50/60% capacity

personally i will always enjoy the smaller attendance more

US teams don't do libertadores, not yet anyway
IMO, it's always better to see a full arena but obviously with both casual and proper fans. Empty seats kinda make the whole ambiance less enjoyable, at least from a viewer's POV. Usually it's proper supps who make the noise and casuals who fill the stadium. It's like that anyway in France. And I do think that casual fans are needed... they are the one who buy the most expensive tickets ! :lolbron: Are US stadiums organized with Kops by the way ?

And why no Libertadores ? Not good enough ? :lolbron: Or is about federation stuff ?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Brian Phillips already beat you to the punch in that regard.

There a bunch of smh moments and selective language to prove the author's point. Sad thing is I bet the kid felt like he was writing a grand opus and shyt :ffs:
the smile on his face when he hit submit tho :banderas:

his reaction he has after reading the comments eviscerating his article :whoo:

concise

Veteran
Daps
IMO, it's always better to see a full arena but obviously with both casual and proper fans. Empty seats kinda make the whole ambiance less enjoyable, at least from a viewer's POV. Usually it's proper supps who make the noise and casuals who fill the stadium. It's like that anyway in France. And I do think that casual fans are needed... they are the one who buy the most expensive tickets ! :lolbron: Are US stadiums organized with Kops by the way ?

And why no Libertadores ? Not good enough ? :lolbron: Or is about federation stuff ?

Mainly fed stuff, but the travel would be a disaster. DC had to travel 5,000 miles to play this game. Flying from DC to Moscow would have been a shorter flight.

Imagine having to do that for a whole group stage during the MLS offseason. :huhldup:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
a AUTHENTIC FRENCHMAN writing like that in english though?????? any person wanting an authentic european source would easily choose him over brian phillips

Yeah there is a lane for a European like that, even though Scott Oliver does it a lot actually. Breh will drop Deleuze and Guattari and the Myth of Charisma like it's nothing :dwillhuh: