Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Carlos Huerta

Just keep my rep red
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure if this was already posted - thought it was kinda interesting :ehh:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/what...-formations-in-the-premier-1638574322/+kylenw

What Are The Most Successful Formations In The Premier League?

Soccer formations are hard to pin down. They come in and out of fashion almost seasonally; their success will largely rest on which top teams adopt or abandon them; and there are an infinite number of permutations of each. All that said, why not poke our heads in on a broad survey of how various formations have performed in the EPL?

The numbers below are from a post on Bloomberg's Stats Insights blog from last week. It tracked the instances of each formation being used—note the fall of the 4-4-2 and the rise of the 4-2-3-1—and then tracked the results of each match. We've added a scrollable table with the number of uses and average result side-by-side at the bottom of the post, so you can easily cross-reference how many games the average points number is representing, but it's a little hard to read. Here's Stats Insights's table for appearances:

These tables come with the usual qualifiers about formation. Arsenal has been playing a 4-1-4-1 this year, for instance, which on the surface should boost that formation's performance. But the Gunners' personnel hasn't taken to it, with Mikel Arteta or Mathieu Flamini miscast as defensive midfielders. Meanwhile, Chelsea is drifting between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1, depending largely on the strength of its opponents, which obviously shades the results for both of those formations. And United has already dropped its three-man back line, dinging the performance on those formations without chance of recovery.

Anyway, the best result in the past five years for a formation that had at least 20 games started (just over half of a Premier League season), was the diamond midfield 4-1-2-1-2 in 2009-10, with an average of 1.88 points in 33 games. Last season, the 4-4-2 actually out-performed the 4-2-3-1, 1.58 points to 1.55 on average, stopping the bleeding after three years of decline.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
jozy being slated today despite everyone hating him cause he didnt score goals

he scored a goal and still gets massive "....but but but" criticism. still has the best stats of any sunderland striker this season despite playing the least minutes

breh is never gonna win the fans over, pretty funny stuff

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I get about £1500 a month in shanghai, but i work weekends which sucks diiiiiick. Can save about 600 a month though. Gonna try and push for a little more over the next few maybe, tryna go Colombia(not to teach) then Canada (if I can get the visa.) I don't really have saving because I lost about £3k on visa fukkeries when I came out and dropped about £3k on my vacation, actually about to western union my visa off later today. I can't speak much at all on anything outside Shanghai, but personally knowing what I know now, if I were to come here I would get a dodgy business visa rather than rely on getting a work visa, and wait it out till I could get one of the rare ridic jobs which I hear the rare person getting with less bullshyt office hours, less/no weekends and equal/better pay. I'd hate doing what a lot of my mates were, 12-8ish three non consecutive weekdays then 9-6 sat-sun. Least mine starts at 4 weekdays and they're consecutive.

From what I'd read about Colombia teaching there sounded a 'mare because of the split shifts and generally low pay, but did see a guy who lives there on an f365 thread saying he saves £600-£7000 teaching there 10 months a year. Also a Brazilian lad was telling me I could make bank in Sao Paolo but I can't remember the names of the companies he mentioned, so yeah, um, look into that I
Sounds like you're doing alright :tu:

Regarding the bold you're talking about teaching jobs but are there opportunities for getting involved in other stuff? Brehs always talk about going out there and other places initially just to teach but wanting to see what else is out there.

Diddly Drogba

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#FreeEva
:dwillhuh: Gyan is being accused of sacrificing Castro?
Imagine losing one of your friends after they reportedly drowned while trying to rescue their girlfriend from the same fate. Being accused of ritually sacrificing them for the sake of acquiring magical powers would make you feel even worse about the entire tragedy, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, Ghanaian soccer player Asamoah Gyan is currently facing this problem after the death of his friend Castro the Destroyer, a Ghanaian rapper who died in a suspected drowning accident while taking a jet-ski out with his girlfriend. At the time, the two were vacationing with Gyan at a Ghanaian resort.

However, the story didn't end there. Rumors began to circulate that Castro hadn't drowned, but that he had been ritually sacrificed by Gyan. Eventually, the public curiosity became so great that, in response to these rumors, a journalist named Daniel Kenu asked Gyan for his thoughts on the allegations at a recent press conference. Furious about the accusation, Gyan had to be restrained from physically confronting Kenu. However, just a couple days later, Gyan's brother and a group of his friends took down Kenu themselves, severely beating the journalist, almost to the point of death.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/...e-denying-link-to-human-sacrifice-black-magic

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
:dwillhuh: Gyan is being accused of sacrificing Castro?
UceX8XW.jpg

:mindblown:

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Sounds like you're doing alright :tu:

Regarding the bold you're talking about teaching jobs but are there opportunities for getting involved in other stuff? Brehs always talk about going out there and other places initially just to teach but wanting to see what else is out there.
Yeah I know a lad who was working teaching adults here for a year-ish, probs less, then got a job with Ogilvy. Pretty sure he has a niiice cv though, wanted to be a lawyer but claims the arse fell out the US for that. Supposedly pretty easy to get copywriting jobs here, but initially your taking little less money, and I'm not sure of the career path with doing that, and presumably it's much less of a fukk around than teaching, so the people who use it to easily eclipse a teaching salary and/or move back 'west' higher on the career ladder would presumably have some passion or flair for it. (Workmate used to live with a guy who thought it was great he got one of those jobs just cos he could say he wasn't a techer. Definitely the brains of the operation.) I know a lass who started doing this recently as well.

Another lad I know is working doing some sort of marketing for a chinese school to Japs and laoweis, he knows a fair bit of Japanese.

A mate quit his teaching job but then found out that the new job he had lined up couldn't secure him a visa, so now is back doing some weird teaching, including bending a doll about to show parents how to move there kids or something. Another lad who worked for that company quit with a job lined up, found out it was only part-time, so told his bosses he was unquitting, they told him they didn't like him so they'd rather he didn't:mjlol:, yelling match ensued. Still works there as far as i know:skip:

Lad I work with has decent experience inspecting worker conditions in factories in quite a few countries, currently looking at something with H&M that he'd be partially qualified for he reckons, presumably would dwarf our current salary, but he's had looks at a few things since i've been here, and he's half way through his third year here.

Was talking to some ABC about 9 pints in after the Liverpool game saturday, said he used to teach, can't remember what he was saying he now does, but basically he'd bought a house a few years ago and it's now worth a million dollars or more (land here is very, very expensive to buy, rent is okay i guess) but he can't get the money out the country due to tax. Was a thread on f365 the other day about chinese investors throwing millions at a uk guys car dealership, told my mate studying chinese at uni here that he need to get into a 'get the money out' role. He told me a few hours later after footy that he'd bought £100 worth of shares in man u this summer. :troll: Not sure he's gonna do it really.

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Don't you get tired of teaching though? I've been doing it for almost a decade now and i'm sick of it. I've been getting alot of gigs doing simultaneous and consecutive translations with mining companies, now those pays but there arent enough events, hopefully one od them hires the kid so i could get out of town, translated for a scottish thang the other day..my god...:whew:
Tbh I barely teach. Atm I work 37ish hours a week. But I only have eight classes that last an hour and a half each, of which I teach approx forty minutes. Basically I get bored sitting in a classroom with my ipad hidden in a file as kids yell A a Apple.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I know a lad who was working teaching adults here for a year-ish, probs less, then got a job with Ogilvy. Pretty sure he has a niiice cv though, wanted to be a lawyer but claims the arse fell out the US for that. Supposedly pretty easy to get copywriting jobs here, but initially your taking little less money, and I'm not sure of the career path with doing that, and presumably it's much less of a fukk around than teaching, so the people who use it to easily eclipse a teaching salary and/or move back 'west' higher on the career ladder would presumably have some passion or flair for it. (Workmate used to live with a guy who thought it was great he got one of those jobs just cos he could say he wasn't a techer. Definitely the brains of the operation.) I know a lass who started doing this recently as well.

Another lad I know is working doing some sort of marketing for a chinese school to Japs and laoweis, he knows a fair bit of Japanese.

A mate quit his teaching job but then found out that the new job he had lined up couldn't secure him a visa, so now is back doing some weird teaching, including bending a doll about to show parents how to move there kids or something. Another lad who worked for that company quit with a job lined up, found out it was only part-time, so told his bosses he was unquitting, they told him they didn't like him so they'd rather he didn't:mjlol:, yelling match ensued. Still works there as far as i know:skip:

Lad I work with has decent experience inspecting worker conditions in factories in quite a few countries, currently looking at something with H&M that he'd be partially qualified for he reckons, presumably would dwarf our current salary, but he's had looks at a few things since i've been here, and he's half way through his third year here.

Was talking to some ABC about 9 pints in after the Liverpool game saturday, said he used to teach, can't remember what he was saying he now does, but basically he'd bought a house a few years ago and it's now worth a million dollars or more (land here is very, very expensive to buy, rent is okay i guess) but he can't get the money out the country due to tax. Was a thread on f365 the other day about chinese investors throwing millions at a uk guys car dealership, told my mate studying chinese at uni here that he need to get into a 'get the money out' role. He told me a few hours later after footy that he'd bought £100 worth of shares in man u this summer. :troll: Not sure he's gonna do it really.

:heh: at the bold :mjlol:

There's this one breh I know that has tried to buy mad goods (electronics, furniture, clothes etc) from China and take them to Africa, but apparently he didn't cough up enough money and his container was seized (about 10k down the drain or so he says :mjcry:). Breh is intent on doing another run and says he's got it figured all out this time. :russ:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Drake aint running out of steam... That last album was
QkqAYyB.png
though. Breh is already at the bitter mad people don't like him Blueprint 2 phase.

I've never listened to another album thats so bitter and upset :dahell: breh still talking about the people that wronged him in high school :mjlol:

I Suppose I was talking subject matter wise he's running out of steam. He has nothing to talk about. And I guess Jay would be a good comparison, but problem is he's not as good a rapper as Jay.

Kendrick creatively is ahead of Drake but even though his stuff is creative he can sometimes be hampered by corniness and concepts that aren't really pulled off. I will fight anyone who says "Backseat Freestlye" is a good song :birdman: