Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Montez

Superstar
Daps
Real nikka post so it goes in OFT:

Brazil's failure was truly a colossal one. I think all the aggrandizing and rhetoric isn't grand enough. This was a colossal. Not for Brazil as a country or anything like that, but as a footballing nation.

They comitted to this. Hard. And they did it years ago. Neymar's career, staying in Santos much longer than any young phenom-to-be would have in the past, was all about this world cup. It was all about a reaction to the failure of 2006, and even worse, the unpretty failure of 2010. It was Brazil taking their game back. No not dominating the world or some shyt, but reclaiming their identity. Being Brazil again. Retreating within themselves and holding onto that belief that if they just believed, and played free, and did their best to be as Brazilian as possible. Everything would work. Even if they lost, it would only be to atypical European cynicism and other cacities they didn't co-sign.

This investment into the Brasileirão, this major push they've made to bring all their stars back home. It was all based in this thought that going the world over was hurting them. That their way was a righteous one, and borderline indomitable.

But now they stand on the Bolivian end of a 7-1 transaction...and it wasn't cynical. It wasn't the result of some dastardly technical innovation the undermined the games beauty.

They got swagged on.

Swagged on.

SWAGGED. By fukking GERMANS.

They got that fukking KRAFTWERK.

This wasn't a game between amateurs and professionals.

This was a game between professionals and professionals who thought this was a movie.

Look at them. All those swashbuckling runs. Shruggling off tackles. Tekkering themselves into dangerous position. They did it all game. They got the ball and they tried really fukking hard to be as Brazilian as they good. If there was a dictionary definition for Brazilian soccer, they followed it to the letter. This Brazilian team played like we all played with Brazil the first time we played FIFA.

These are the children of Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos. They believed in the myth, and tried to actualize it.

:wow: I'm rambling.

I love it (yes homo :noah:) when you post like this.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
if anything this is gonna redouble the "bring em home" efforts, and make it even more of a "keep em home"

i dont know too many folk that give a fukk what willian or oscar or luiz gustavo are doing with their club teams

honestly @Hollister is the first brazilian i've talked to that goes hard for a european club :manny: and even he would be happy to see cruzeiro destroy liverpool, and nah i aint asked him, i just know :birdman: :salute:

more money and more pressure will be poured into serie a development. this loss might end up making the domestic game :banderas: tbh

but yeah, this was slaughter. this shyt was like rambo. i was watching with a bunch of foreigners born in the 90s, but i wanted to yell "throw the damn towel"

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
i also didnt realize i posted this in the stupid WC thread, so im reposting it in here because this thread is its rightful home:

let's recap scolari's joke of a career
1998: brings a copa libertadores to palmeiras as they are crowned TEAM OF THE CENTURY :blessed: :banderas: in retrospect, it's
possibly the only time he's fooled people into thinking he can manage :ehh:
2002: pretends to coach a WC-winning team that has the greatest striker of all time and other legends scattered throughout
2004: tries to emulate previous "success" and fails with c. ronaldo, losing AT HOME (foreshadowing) to a bus full of greeks :why:
2006: maybe he's not an idiot..portugal reaches WC semis :gladbron: oh wait, they only had to beat england on pens. they were next in line for that tradition, mere papering over the cracks
2008: oh look, dominated by germany :heh:
2008: drummed out of chelsea by january, never even bothered to learn english or put on a fukking suit.
2009: coaches in uzbekistan, earns $20 mil worth of terrorist and oil money, but manages to make it to the hallowed round of 16 in the asian champions league :stopitslime:
2010: return to palmeiras, a copa do brasil :blessed: :blessed: ...just the dead rat bouncing off the floor, fukk off phil :stopitslime:
2013: confed cup victory! we did it! felipão and brazil are back!
2014: :camby: :camby: :camby:

:pacspit:

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
They about to destroy and rebuild, Germany did the same thing after Euro 2000.

Grant Wahl I think had an article about this years ago, Brazil started developing athletes and not footballers.

They fact they were playing Fred up top should've been enough evidence they were shyt. Argentina is another one that needs that wake up call. England...nvm they had theirs in 2010.

I was about to post about Germany commitment to academies. Happy to see MLS focusing on it instead of the Superdraft. US could only get better with it.

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whenever i saw Ramires being subbed in for one of the wide forwards i was:what:It had come to this for Brazil. The coaching lacks imagination too, after the 2010 WC they seemed to be in shock and did not know how to deal with the shock of the loss. Del Bosque and Scolari both preferred continuity and called up virtually the same players but they could have used some new ideas.The Confed cup was the peak for this current side as it was with the 2005/06 team that at least managed to put on a show. The current German team are like 8 years in the making, from the change in style instituted by Klinsman in 06 and players like Lahm,Podolski,Schweinsteiger ,Metersacker introduced then to successive generations that have been integrated in the team almost seamlessly and it did not look like they were going to be in a final with all the injuries.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i also didnt realize i posted this in the stupid WC thread, so im reposting it in here because this thread is its rightful home:

let's recap scolari's joke of a career
1998: brings a copa libertadores to palmeiras as they are crowned TEAM OF THE CENTURY :blessed: :banderas: in retrospect, it's
possibly the only time he's fooled people into thinking he can manage :ehh:
2002: pretends to coach a WC-winning team that has the greatest striker of all time and other legends scattered throughout
2004: tries to emulate previous "success" and fails with c. ronaldo, losing AT HOME (foreshadowing) to a bus full of greeks :why:
2006: maybe he's not an idiot..portugal reaches WC semis :gladbron: oh wait, they only had to beat england on pens. they were next in line for that tradition, mere papering over the cracks
2008: oh look, dominated by germany :heh:
2008: drummed out of chelsea by january, never even bothered to learn english or put on a fukking suit.
2009: coaches in uzbekistan, earns $20 mil worth of terrorist and oil money, but manages to make it to the hallowed round of 16 in the asian champions league :stopitslime:
2010: return to palmeiras, a copa do brasil :blessed: :blessed: ...just the dead rat bouncing off the floor, fukk off phil :stopitslime:
2013: confed cup victory! we did it! felipão and brazil are back!
2014: :camby: :camby: :camby:

:pacspit:
Winning the Confed Cup was the worst thing to happen to Brazil.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Brazil has shown the ability to restructure based on past defeats and change their style to whatever gives them results. Past Brazil teams always had a player who could take over a game particularly the forwards they had Romario,Ronaldo,Rivaldo and Ronaldinho in succession and a lot of those guys played together, even Kaka and Robinho could pull some strings when required. Current Brazil players are underwhelming they are like lab produced robotic dudes who do not have the imagination of their 90s players and that includes the 94 team that was very pragmatic.Other than Neymar a lot of those kids probably owe a lot more to Portuguese,French or Spanish sides for their football education whereas with the past generations Europe was more like a finishing school.
Except this isn't true. This is the problem. You thinking that this is the problem is the problem. It's why they lost today. Lost in 2010. Lost in 2006, each loss more alarming and damning in the process. Ranging from merely disappointing in 2006, to appalling in 2010, to an outright debacle on this very evening.

You name Ronaldinho as some sort of past solution. Ronaldinho is like a grandmothers herbal remedies. You remember some random leaves poured into boiling curing you of so many ailments but forget to consider that it was something so simple as a days worth of rest and balanced meals that actually did the trick.

Ronaldinho was there in 2006. As was Kaka. Two of the absolute, just, most BRILLIANT players ever. They were there. I know it's hard to remember. A defensive midfielder combined with a metronomic passer (granted, two of the very best at each position) rendered them invisible.

Ronaldinho is the issue. He symbolizes it, epitomizes it. We call Ronaldinho a great many things but have never paused to consider and call him unfortunate?

The game changed. Dramatically, and almost suddenly. I'm not breaking any new ground here. The death of the trequartista has been chronicled endlessly, but it's true, and it's what has spelled doom for Brazil. Because for the rest of the world that position dying meant it was time for something else, for Brazil, it meant their game had died.

Ronaldinho, like Brazil, retreated within himself, held onto his game, whilst on the opposite end of the very same midfield the modern standard began to blossom.

The world, and even worse Brazil, grew to believe there bread and butter wasn't bread and butter at all, but instead some beautiful delicacy worthy of a michelin star.

It wasn't there forwards taking over the game. It was that, before zonal marking and gegenpressing and defending dodecahedrons with angles of varying degrees, Brazil's midfield could take over the game on class alone.

But the definition of class has changed.

This result is every bit as telling, forboding, and apocalyptic as that day in London when Puskas forever placed a hand around the heart of English football. He didn't rip it you. You can never do that. Children will always dream, and eleven of those children grow up to be men who play for their country. He didn't rip the heart out, but his fingers remain clasped around it never allowing it to beat the same way ever again.

You can change a football team. You can change strategy.

You cannot change identity.

At their very core Brazil's footballing ideals are wrong.

Their religion is wrong.

Max B

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
tdot
Whenever i saw Ramires being subbed in for one of the wide forwards i was:what:It had come to this for Brazil. The coaching lacks imagination too, after the 2010 WC they seemed to be in shock and did not know how to deal with the shock of the loss. Del Bosque and Scolari both preferred continuity and called up virtually the same players but they could have used some new ideas.The Confed cup was the peak for this current side as it was with the 2005/06 team that at least managed to put on a show. The current German team are like 8 years in the making, from the change in style instituted by Klinsman in 06 and players like Lahm,Podolski,Schweinsteiger ,Metersacker introduced then to successive generations that have been integrated in the team almost seamlessly and it did not look like they were going to be in a final with all the injuries.
Look at the oranje squad all. Veterans mixed with first time world cup debutants. Scolari is a stubborn old man taking players like bernard over lucas moura(i dont care if he bad season lucas actually plays in respetable league compared to the ukranian league) Coutinho is another player who shouldve made it based on his form this past season alone. This lost is going to change brazilian footnball thats for sure.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Winning the Confed Cup was the worst thing to happen to Brazil.
hosting it was just as harmful imo. for myriad reasons

@Don Rhymus you are right in a way, but the most pressing ( :jawalrus: get it?) issue was the coaching.

i never expected brazil to win the cup, i didnt even expect them to beat germany today, but to lose like this falls on phil's shoulders. he just rolled the ball out with a slapped together xi and fell victim to what you're talking about - brazilian willpower and mindset would triumph

i dont think the problem is as deeply embedded as you think it is. i think it was deeply embedded into the staff

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
hosting it was just as harmful imo. for myriad reasons

@Don Rhymus you are right in a way, but the most pressing ( :jawalrus: get it?) issue was the coaching.

i never expected brazil to win the cup, i didnt even expect them to beat germany today, but to lose like this falls on phil's shoulders. he just rolled the ball out with a slapped together xi and fell victim to what you're talking about - brazilian willpower and mindset would triumph

i dont think the problem is as deeply embedded as you think it is. i think it was deeply embedded into the staff
Yeah, the coaching was the worst.

Question for you and @Hollister who would know this way more than I could poetically wax on about

Do you think there will be a mindset in the country to do as Germany did and commit, from ground up, to focus the nation towards one style of play geared towards success in the modern game to shape a new team? Do you think it's necessary? Clearly in my paragraphs I think it is.

Also, do you think there are midfielders right now who could make them proper dogs on the world stage and not the dog and pony show I fully fear them becoming?

I understand the Brazilian fear. Argentina is what happens when your national team has no identity and is just an amalgamation of various foreign ideals. Argentina are, and honestly since the 90's, playing really shyt football.

Do you think a footballing renessaince of the scale of the Germans is possible? Do you think it necessary?

dem bath salts

To be reckoned with
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broward
Just made out with a english chick whose a huge chelsea fan. Guess i have a premier team to support now :mjpls:

P.s. :mjlol: @ brazil