Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Montez

Superstar
Daps
article-2661297-1EE28C8C00000578-137_634x553.jpg

:noah: :noah: :noah:

Montez

Superstar
Daps
Uh, I don't want to get too tangential and weird during WORLD CUP time. But what you guys think.

I was (I quit today) working at this internship that was politically related. But with my full time job I was only able to get there basically one day a week and whenever they needed me on the weekends. Though the internship was straight bytch work and boring and it looked good on a resume, I was not motivated by it at all and thought it was a waste of time. And perhaps this was stupid. Perhaps I should have just done the work.

But this is what I've been grappling with lately. And I want to know if I'm wrong on this. But I just feel at this time in my life if I'm wasting my time on something that doesn't fully stimulate me or get me energized and motivated and it's something that I can be completely indifferent towards in terms of the outcome and results of it, I feel like fukk that, I don't want to waste time on that. But the flipside of that are the realities of needing experience, which if I'm gonna be honest, is one aspect of our rat race resume builder society that we live in that I genuinely hate. It's tough for me to look down the bridge of my nose at anyone, but I've been meeting a lot of go-getters lately. Those oiled up, preening, perfectly manicured careerists who work to attain that gleaming resume. I've grown to sort of despise them, because I've often found that they don't really have any aspirations beyond that. Beyond what? Money? A title? Doesn't make you a respectable person.

Especially in the political world. It's alarming. Based on my own experiences I've found that sections of our political apparatus is peopled entirely by individuals who are looking out for numero uno and have this almost upsetting lukewarm attitude about politics being not about helping people and changing the world but seeking stasis and compromise and of course furthering your career. Perhaps that's grotesquely romantic of me, but it almost makes you wonder what it's all for. :childplease:

And because of that I've been mad jaded lately. I'm about to call close on trying to do something and being involved. Go do some writing, maybe try to get into something like advertising, I dunno something else. Try to make some money and live life I guess with a job.

I remember I was talking to my friend's girlfriend who works at an ad agency in New York. She was talking about how she loves her job, the culture, blah blah blah but her tone turned plaintive and she went on about how at the end of the day it's not too fulfilling of a job, she's helping make ads for $5 Little Caeser's pizzas. And I'm not saying that in order to have a fulfilling job it must be in politics or whatever, a lot of good can be found in all sorts of fields, but, I didn't really have the heart to let her know that the other side may not be so green :avbehh:

I'm the same way.

I reevaluate my life every morning and evening on the train when I look around and just see unfulfilled lives. That sounds harsh but I don't see how this is life. I had this conversation this week. There is no way this is what life is suppose to be. I see other folks who go all in with work and I'm just like what's the point :manny: my heart isn't in this.

Even when you doing meaningful work, it becomes meaningless. I did not-profit work and work for Ciroc, after a while you start to feel the same way. The politics, culture, and your emotions eventually put the work in the same category. Unless, you're extremely driven by it, then it becomes an obsession and your ultimate being.

Only way I'm different is, the bytch work, networking, and resume building I don't have a problem with. I just see it as a way to get out the rat race. My entire reason for going to work is just to get the fukk outta there and moving to South America or back to the islands. If it's just a job, your heart won't be in it, every move just has to be part of way of achieving your goals.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Uh, I don't want to get too tangential and weird during WORLD CUP time. But what you guys think.

I was (I quit today) working at this internship that was politically related. But with my full time job I was only able to get there basically one day a week and whenever they needed me on the weekends. Though the internship was straight bytch work and boring and it looked good on a resume, I was not motivated by it at all and thought it was a waste of time. And perhaps this was stupid. Perhaps I should have just done the work.

But this is what I've been grappling with lately. And I want to know if I'm wrong on this. But I just feel at this time in my life if I'm wasting my time on something that doesn't fully stimulate me or get me energized and motivated and it's something that I can be completely indifferent towards in terms of the outcome and results of it, I feel like fukk that, I don't want to waste time on that. But the flipside of that are the realities of needing experience, which if I'm gonna be honest, is one aspect of our rat race resume builder society that we live in that I genuinely hate. It's tough for me to look down the bridge of my nose at anyone, but I've been meeting a lot of go-getters lately. Those oiled up, preening, perfectly manicured careerists who work to attain that gleaming resume. I've grown to sort of despise them, because I've often found that they don't really have any aspirations beyond that. Beyond what? Money? A title? Doesn't make you a respectable person.

Especially in the political world. It's alarming. Based on my own experiences I've found that sections of our political apparatus is peopled entirely by individuals who are looking out for numero uno and have this almost upsetting lukewarm attitude about politics being not about helping people and changing the world but seeking stasis and compromise and of course furthering your career. Perhaps that's grotesquely romantic of me, but it almost makes you wonder what it's all for. :childplease:

And because of that I've been mad jaded lately. I'm about to call close on trying to do something and being involved. Go do some writing, maybe try to get into something like advertising, I dunno something else. Try to make some money and live life I guess with a job.

I remember I was talking to my friend's girlfriend who works at an ad agency in New York. She was talking about how she loves her job, the culture, blah blah blah but her tone turned plaintive and she went on about how at the end of the day it's not too fulfilling of a job, she's helping make ads for $5 Little Caeser's pizzas. And I'm not saying that in order to have a fulfilling job it must be in politics or whatever, a lot of good can be found in all sorts of fields, but, I didn't really have the heart to let her know that the other side may not be so green :avbehh:
You still below 25 if I remember so you still have some time left to choose a field that fits you. I think the previous generations could settle for a job that doesn't fit them because times weren't so hard. These days it doesn't work anymore like that because having a job is not a guarantee for anything. So maybe, we'd rather do something we like and fulfill us if we're getting paid shyt. That's a minimum I guess.

But OFT could really do some good stuff IMO :lolbron:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
I got banned from the world cup thread :heh:

I bet an afric00n snitched on me, probably @Primetime21 :leostare:

I have to make an alias now:patrice:
Don't worry breh I got you. If the same poster that called you "this fukking spic" makes a post in the thread again I'm going Sharpton mode. It's been a while since I went on a crusade.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Am i wrong for genuinely believing our young lions are about to hand out a proper beating tonight?:lupe:

I'm setting myself up for heartbreak.
y'all got this one IMO i dont think uruguay will recover from that implosion :manny:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
You still below 25 if I remember so you still have some time left to choose a field that fits you. I think the previous generations could settle for a job that doesn't fit them because times weren't so hard. These days it doesn't work anymore like that because having a job is not a guarantee for anything. So maybe, we'd rather do something we like and fulfill us if we're getting paid shyt. That's a minimum I guess.

But OFT could really do some good stuff IMO :lolbron:

Just turned 25. And though I know I'm still young I still be feelin old as fukk out here, meet a lot of people a little younger than me that are more or less in the same situation of me, yet just having the benefit of being a few years younger

Must be this quarter life crisis everyone talks about :lupe:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
I once thought I'd play the game and be a nice boy, but once I got to a business-oriented college and saw a ridiculous amount of sucking up, people dressing in suits every day just in case and stereotypical wannabe-powerful people and that kinda thing, it officially put me off from even trying simply cause I'm not that type of person. And this wasn't at an Ivy or anything. I'd understand at an Ivy. These were people that were going to enter lower-level business jobs. Hardly the cream of the crop. I guess this was your own wake up call.

It's easy enough to do your own thing these days if you really want it I guess. The whole 'philosophizing about unfulfilled lives' is well-trodden by now so IDK.

If worst comes to worst you can do some great lying on a resume and skip all the nonsense.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Just turned 25. And though I know I'm still young I still be feelin old as fukk out here, meet a lot of people a little younger than me that are more or less in the same situation of me, yet just having the benefit of being a few years younger

Must be this quarter life crisis everyone talks about :lupe:
I don't give a fukk about a quarter life crisis, but I do start thinking that way like I got this ripe 19 year old here how am I gonna handle this :patrice: or is there anything TO handle :patrice: