Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
You know things are bad when you are losing 5-0 to a team that hasn't won a match in three months.

Dallas 5 Portland 0

Bring back Spenny :sadbron:

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Curiously oriental name for the little cockscratcher to have. Never noticed that before. Probably because all of his posts were an inexorable screed against consideration.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just finished listening, and it was just ok, too many fillers, and Nas's flow on many of the songs just seemed unnatural, rushed and lacking in composure. Daughters, Reach Out, You Wouldn't Understand(which went on a bit long, and was desperately crying out for an AZ verse), Stay, Roses, and the well crafted Cherry Wine were the standout tunes.

All in all, too many tracks, flow is too inconsistent, as well as the lyrics. Nas as a rapper has his comfort zone, it's rapping over smooth beats, and hard but Soulful beats, when he deviates from that, it doesn't work.

Yeah his flow was too choppy on a few songs and has been for years.

Just a realization after listening to that Nas album, so many rappers flow just falls off as they get older, LL is one of the few who flow got better has he aged.

AZ doesn't have that problem either. :myman:

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
I tried listening to the nas album. My reaction was more, "this just sounds old :what: " rather than "this sounds old :gladbron:"

While i've always massively preferred nas over jay, i don't think noz is capable of making the stuff jay makes now. A truly 1 era rapper. That's why i have to take my hat off to jay, maybe he is the goat :yeshrug:

Smarten up noz :smh:

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Oscar certainly cannot play the cm role, and Ramires thrives off of being a suprise attacker

He will develop into one, he's got all the attributes. Against GB he was dropping deep, dictating play and was the link between the d and the o.

The body feints :noah:

Last edited by a moderator:

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I tried listening to the nas album. My reaction was more, "this just sounds old :what: " rather than "this sounds old :gladbron:"

While i've always massively preferred nas over jay, i don't think noz is capable of making the stuff jay makes now. A truly 1 era rapper. That's why i have to take my hat off to jay, maybe he is the goat :yeshrug:

Smarten up noz :smh:

The album reminded me of God Son.

Some good songs and some meh ones. Decent enough album overall tbf.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Some gossip/articles for the bois

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Robin van Persie was ordered to miss Arsenal's pre-season tour by Arsene Wenger - and Manchester United have now emerged as favourites to sign the Dutch striker, 28, providing they can avoid a transfer auction.
Full story: Sunday Mirror

United's move to sign Van Persie is hanging in the balance because Arsenal are refusing to budge on their £30m valuation of the Dutch striker.
Full story: Mail on Sunday

United have a key advantage in the fight to sign Van Persie as it emerged that the Dutchman would prefer moving to United rather than to rivals Manchester City or Juventus.
Full story: Sunday Times (subscription required)

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been given the go-ahead to gamble more than £50m to win back the Premier League title next season.
Full story: Sunday Express

Nicklas Bendtner is set to leave Arsenal this week, with the 24-year-old Danish striker a £7.5m target for both AC Milan and Galatasaray.
Full story: Sunday Mirror

Barcelona forward Gerard Deulofeu, 18, is on the radar of both Liverpool and QPR.
Full story: Sunday People

Ryo Miyaichi, 19, could be set for first-team opportunities at Arsenal after Ajax manager Frank de Boer admitted defeat in his pursuit for the winger.
Full story: Goal.com

Everton are on the brink of re-signing midfielder Steven Pienaar, 30, from Tottenham.
Full story: Caughtoffside.com

Manager Michael Laudrup has revealed he won't stand in the way of Joe Allen, 22, should the midfielder wish to leave Swansea.
Full story: talkSPORT

Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill is to raid former club Aston Villa for defensive duo Stephen Warnock, 30, and James Collins, 28.
Full story: Sun on Sunday

Sean O'Driscoll's first task as new Nottingham Forest chief will be to run the rule over Kuwait star striker Bader Al-Mutawa, 27.
Full story: Star on Sunday

Ambitious QPR are *making a £6m move for Celtic's South Korean midfield star Ki Sung-Yeung, 23.
Full story: Sunday People

RvP Latest, seems a bit like what i was saying on a hunch. Knows what he's about the dutchman.

MANCHESTER UNITED have a key advantage in the fight to sign Robin van Persie as it emerged that the Dutchman would prefer moving to United rather than to rivals Manchester City or Juventus.

On Friday United confirmed their offer, believed to be £10m, had been rejected for the current Footballer of the Year and it is thought they were encouraged to table it by signals that Van Persie favours an Old Trafford move.

Van Persie is a romantic and sees United as a club of history and tradition, similar to Arsenal and his original team, Feyenoord. Working under Sir Alex Ferguson also appeals. Ferguson made tentative efforts to land Van Persie in 2009 before he signed his current deal — which expires next season and he is not extending. He is flattered that Ferguson has coveted him for years.

A further factor in United’s favour is City’s difficulty in offloading Emmanuel Adebayor. Van Persie and Adebayor did not get on as Arsenal teammates and Van Persie’s dislike for the Togolese intensified after Adebayor, playing for City in 2009, was banned for stamping on the Holland striker’s face. Van Persie branded the action “mindless and malicious” and would not consider sharing a dressing room with Adebayor. City have agreed to sell Adebayor to Tottenham for a £5m and would also subsidise some of the player’s salary, but the transfer is endangered because Spurs still cannot meet Adebayor’s wage demands.

United’s stumbling block, regarding Van Persie, is also financial. Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, differs with his board over the player’s valuation. Wenger would price Van Persie at £30m in an attempt to scare off suitors and force him to see out his contract but the board, concerned they could lose him for nothing next summer, are keen to provoke an auction.

They want a minimum of £20m and believe they may be able to raise as much as £25m with such tactics — having pulled off a similar trick in 2011 with Samir Nasri. Not only is United’s bid at least £10m below the mark at which Arsenal would even consider dealing, spending big on Van Persie, who is 29 next month, would signify a huge change in policy. Only once in 15 years, when buying Dimitar Berbatov in 2008, has Ferguson paid a fee for an outfield played older than 26.

City’s trump card is wages after striking a provisional agreement early this year to give Van Persie a contract worth £225,000-per-week. United could not match that and would also be unlikely to go as far as Juventus, who are offering £190,000-per-week.

City, who have had a £12m offer for Van Persie rejected, persuaded Nasri to join them rather than United by offering a better package but Van Persie has told friends that winning honours, not money, will not be the driving factor.

Complicating the situation is believed to be a difference of opinion between two agents working on his behalf. One favours him moving to City, who would be likely to pay a higher commission. The other sees United as a better option.

Wenger, who omitted the player from his touring squad that flew to the Far East yesterday, indicated he is reluctantly resigned to the idea that he may lose his captain. His priority now is to avoid a protracted departure — having seen the damage similar sagas involving Nasri and Cesc Fabregas did to preparations for last season. “It’s more important that we focus on the season to come. We’ve learnt that it’s vital to focus on the start of the season rather than any transfers. If the transfers happen they happen.”

Wenger’s preference would seem to be the player moving to Juventus, who have had an £8m bid rejected. Van Persie, however, is lukewarm about playing in Serie A, and does not want to move his young family away from England. Wenger would be loath to sell to Ferguson, his old rival, but it is said he would be even more squeamish about losing yet another player to City.

Fergie interview/article from Bob Cass at the times, talks about the future/youth, greedy agents, the glazers etc

he Indian Ocean foaming past a lighthouse to his left has been likened to Govan Cross. Banter is directed over one interviewer’s “tatty” shirt and another’s “depressing” home town. Sir Alex Ferguson is recharged, relaxed and in his accustomed position of control.

It’s not where you might expect the Scot to be. Two months ago Manchester City appeared to have begun the end for Ferguson with their stoppage-time purloining of the Premier League. Over the summer, he’s got himself embroiled in a Manchester bidding war for Robin van Persie that United do not seem to possess the financial weaponry to win.

The theory is that City, the psychological hurdle of winning cleared, should now sprint away and force Ferguson to finally call time on his peerless career. The 70-year-old is having none of it. “I’m no worried about that at all. The team that everyone will worry about is Manchester United because our record at coming back is great.” He details the coming season as just another period of recovery, like the ones he coaxed United through when Arsenal and Chelsea temporarily outpointed them, and is so calm about it all, so convinced of the youthful abilities of his United squad, that he’s even prepared to address the vexed question of his succession. If Ferguson were a young manager again, would he fancy the challenge of taking over from himself?

“Yes, definitely,” is his instant reply. “Why not? No-one would refuse this job after me, whatever. To come to a club like this, based on solid foundations. A great stadium, great training ground, a lot of young players.

“If you look at the team I could play under 23. You could play De Gea; Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Evans as the back four.Cleverley, Powell, Chicharito, Lingard; Welbeck, Kagawa. You could play a premier division team of young players. So the future is absolutely solid.” Cannily acquired from Crewe this summer, Nick Powell is being converted to a central midfielder who, Ferguson says, “could be a big surprise for us even though he is only 18”. Jesse Lingard, 15 months older, excelled in last week’s defeat of Amazulu. “He will become a player when he’s 22, 24, he has got great talent, the boy.” Ferguson also talks highly of Tyler Blackett, 18, a left-back.

Asked about supporters’ complaints that they have waited four years for a purchase of the magnitude of Dimitar Berbatov’s £30m capture from Tottenham, his response is brutally direct. “Aye, well they can wait,” he says. “We buy the right way. Kagawa will be a really good signing for us and the boy Powell will be a player. You see, the difference between Manchester United and the rest is that we can play 18-year-olds if they are good enough, because it is part of our history. It seems to be a sort of destiny for us that when a young player emerges, play him. It’s never failed us.

“There’s not many clubs can do that. City won’t do it. They definitely won’t play any young players. All the buys are 25-, 26-, 27-year-old players, good maturity, right type of experience, good ages.But they don’t play any young players.”

While Ferguson is not against buying in City’s age bracket, he will not overpay. Last summer United agreed personal terms that would have made Samir Nasri one of the best-paid players at Old Trafford, only for the midfielder to move from Arsenal to City when they offered £185,000 a week. This year he pursued Eden Hazard until the Belgian’s financial demands repelled.

“What we’re finding is that the climate of buying these top players is that it’s not just the transfer fee; the salary and the agents’ fees are getting ridiculous now. I mean Hazard, Chelsea paid the agent £6m. I mean, you make a phone call, say, ‘Are you interested in a player?’, a couple of hours of negotiations, you get £6m. Seems absolutely ridiculous, doesn’t it?” Nasri’s agents, says Ferguson, “were the same”.

What he does not have a problem with is the financial support he has received from the Glazer family. United’s owners have been persistent targets of criticism from supporters angered by the £425m net debt the Americans’ leveraged takeover has saddled the club with.

“If you’re asking me for my view, I don’t have any complaints,” says Ferguson. “They’ve always been as helpful as they can in terms of financing the team. They’ve been great. You look at the money they are spending on our training ground this summer, it’s been fantastic.

“With United it is a wee bit different from the other clubs. There are a lot of factions at United who think that they own the club. Martin Edwards was always getting pelters because he was going to sell to [Robert Maxwell], then to [Rupert] Murdoch, then to Michael Knighton.

“And then when they went plc, there was this disaffection there. Then when the Glazers took over there was disaffection there. But the majority of the real fans will look at it in a more realistic way and say, ‘Look, its not affected the team, we’ve won four championships since they’ve been there; we’ve won the European Cup’.”

Ferguson thinks the squad he’s built for the Glazers is capable of taking another Champions League next May. He expects it to have taken back the Premier League by then as well.