Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

BOBN

Pro
Daps
Weve had this discussion. Football = a cowards game
f365 mailbox said:
...After all this talk of RVP moving on and whether it constitutes being a mercenary it got me thinking about the situation in the two other sports I love, American Football and Basketball. Whilst football will always be my first love it is an interesting comparison with the fans attitude towards player movement. A couple of years ago LeBron James (the Messi of Basketball) decided to move to Miami and player with two other players considered to be top 20 players at the time. The outcry from the fans was typical fury, but what was interesting was the attitude of older players. Their argument was that they never wanted to join up with their fellow stars, they wanted to beat them. There was no talk of joining up to create superstar teams, they would find a way to win on their own. This is where football falls woefully short.

Seems like every single player nowadays talks about 'ambition' as a catch-all for 'I want out'. Be it for more money, more comfortable conditions or just wanting to go to a better team. It's such a shame that players nowadays are so much more prepared to bolt for the door rather than stay, make their team better, and fight harder the next year. I'm not suggesting this is the case for all players and all transfers, but doesn't RVP want to try and beat these guys at Arsenal rather than throw his hands up and go 'F*** it, i'll just join them and take the challenge out of the game'. It's not like Arsenal were miles behind.

Do players look at Man City and Chelsea with envy, or anger? Do they not despise the idea of these bully clubs buying their way to success, or do they just want to hop the bandwagon if it comes rolling their way? Surely it's hypocritical of these players to bemoan the spending power of these clubs, then sign on the dotted line after angling for a transfer for months. You can't tell me Eden Hazard has always been a Chelsea fan and wanted to play with 'legends' and all that guff - he just wanted to join a sure thing.

This constant stacking of the deck is going to lead to a much smaller talent pool. There used to be a fear that the top 6 or so clubs would push on and separate themselves from the rest of the pack. Now I fear it's going to get even smaller than that. Look at Spain and there are only two teams in with a shout, in England it's soon to only be three. Across Europe there is a horrible sense that players would rather jump ship at the drop of a hat rather than make their own team better. As a Nottingham Forest fan I know they best I can hope for is promotion, but the chance of seeing my team win the league or get near the top 6? Not a chance, not when all the top talent are so desperate to play together in super-squads.

I'm starting to get nervous for the game, I don't think the fair play rules will make a blind bit of difference either. We can but hope.
Keith, Maidenhead.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
There's more reasons as to why that doesn't happen in other sports as much, namely a salary cap. The NBA and others are built so a team can only afford 1 or 2 star players and they have to carefully build the rest.

It's not the same in football. You get to move to better teams and get paid more. Lebron took a paycut to join Miami as did Bosh & Wade (or something like that). If Kobe could get twice the amount in Miami he would probably be there too.

If FIFA/UEFA didn't love Madrid/Barca so much they would implement better fair play rules.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

This is an Under-11 Barcelona academy squad in the US. They're building robots brehs. :wow:

That goal at 3:27 :ohlawd:

That English coach tho :pachaha:

Last edited by a moderator:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Sports fans crying about loyalty when they don't know what the word means :heh:

BIGDENNIS10UK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't even be that sad, cos after what we done with sol campbell, anything happens to us we can't really complain.

BIGDENNIS10UK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I ain't that bothered, like gos said, it's not like we was winning everything with him, if they can get a decent player in with the money, I'll take that.

Plus, as soon as a player says he ain't speaking about his contract, in my mind he's gone (which is exactly what Campbell and van persie did).

Walcott situation is strange, but I assume he will be gone as well, as long as anyone decent wants him, not exactly Like he's loved at the emirates anyway, he got booed at tottenham at half time.

BIGDENNIS10UK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol at this blogger taking time out of our misery to bury man u

A provocative headline designed to grab your attention? Yes, guilty but I believe there is a quite a lot of truth in it.

The change of direction that I am talking about is reflected in the kind of player that Podolski and Giroud are. These footballers are big powerful no nonsense types, they signal a change in style, perhaps even a return to the days when Arsenal fielded big strong powerful teams which included the likes of Vieira, Petit, Adams, Bould and Campbell; when those players took to the field the opposition were scared. What Podolski and Giroud are definitely not is a continuation of Arshavin, Nasri and Fàbregas; for example, the super skilful diminutive types which to me is vital clue that indicates the change in direction that I refer to above.

If you think you are upset about not winning a trophy in the last seven years I am prepared to bet it is only a fraction of the pain that Wenger feels about that statistic.

Personally I think we were unlucky, the Fàbregas era was worthy of a title or two but equally I can see the argument that the league title does not lie and the fact remains that that experiment did not work and a new way must be found. The reason I can see this side of the argument is that I do not believe that even the most accomplished proponents of the super quick passing game, no other than Barcelona would win the EPL year in and year out. The Catalans never seem to come up against teams in La Liga prepared to play with ten men behind the ball. I remember reading an interview with Cesc saying that that approach would not be tolerated by any team in Spain regardless of the relegation implications – Barcelona meet Sam Allardyce and there are plenty more, as we all know, of his ilk.

Passenal has not worked trophy wise, although, entertainment wise it has been a dream for a season ticket holder like myself but I accept it might be time for a bit of silverware to take up some space in the still bare Emirates trophy cabinet.

I am going to do something now that I have criticised many in the past for doing and that is sing the praises of manu so if you want to get your own back go ahead. The reason in my mind as to why manu kept on winning as much as they did with what seemed like an average team at times was because they had a good balance between power and skill. That’s enough praise, they are now on a down hill trajectory. The reasons are fairly obvious; they have an aging team and the manager does not know which way to turn. They are, in short, where we were a few years ago. There are a couple a key clues that back this up. If Rooney came on the market now do you think he would go to manu or City? When was the last time we could say at this point in the transfer window that we were happier with our signings than we would have been with manu’s? Would you prefer Kagawa and Powell or Podolski and Giroud?

We are coming out of that dip because Wenger has found a way to operate amongst the two obvious financial heavy weights: Chelsea and City. Ferguson on the other hand looks like a spent force; he doesn’t know which way to turn now that he no longer has the financial muscle to buy the top players in the EPL.

Manu we have you in our sites.

Next season’s Arsenal line up is going to be different: for the first time, in a long time we will be starting a new EPL season with power and strength as our main weapons.

————-Szczesny

Sagna, BFG, Koscielny, Vermaelen.

——-Song, Diaby, Arteta.

——The Ox, Giroud, Podolski.

This is not the team I expect to line up for the first game of the season but it could be.

And if it is, the message to any opposition will be – Be afraid, be very afraid.

Written by LB

We Major

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
U11 Possession Soccer - YouTube

This is an Under-11 Barcelona academy squad in the US. They're building robots brehs. :wow:

That goal at 3:27 :ohlawd:

That English coach tho :pachaha:

The right back/right winger get rinsed :leon:

Amazing, although why are they playing with a ball that big and on a pitch that big, at that age? That's what we do wrong here (UK/England).

Anyway, Modric is reportedly off to Real Madrid.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
The right back/right winger get rinsed :leon:

Amazing, although why are they playing with a ball that big and on a pitch that big, at that age? That's what we do wrong here (UK/England).

Anyway, Modric is reportedly off to Real Madrid.

Coz they stupid fukks. But it does go on about the pitch, im sure you'll find on youtube Messi and them playin on big size pitches. 6/7 aside pitches ftw at that age.

How much for Modric? Read that Real werent lookin to pay the £35m unless they can shot someone 1st