Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
The pronunciations in this song really threw me all the way off, starting at the very top. "Viens dancer" sounds like it got slurred into 1 word.

@Liu Kang - you ever heard an accent like that?
Sorry breh, couldn't answer earlier because I get no alert when I'm tagged :ld:

So about that Jennifer Dias song, the accent is not weird, it's even pretty clear french. There are some portuguese phrases because she's cape verdean but still, it's pretty understandable. In the chorus, she says "Prends ma main, viens danser, hé !" (Take my hand and come to dance, hey !").
It's hard to phonetize that because you english speakers don't have nasal vowels like us French or Portuguese speakers do... even Spanish and Italian people have huge problems with those even though with have the same root language-wise (latin) because in theirs, all their vowels are pronounced.
For example, prends, main, viens, danser : all the underlined letters constitute a nasal vowel (like in croissant) so that may be why you can't properly decipher the lyrics even when reading them. But holla at me if you need some translations : zouk love tracks are pretty easy lyrics wise.

And about the music itself. It's from the french west Indies (Guadeloupe and Martinique mostly) and was popularized by Kassav', La Compagnie Créole and Francky Vincent in the late 80's/ early 90's. It's more high tempo, made to party to dance and bring positive mood through positive lyrics (the carribean way). But Zouk also can be about sad things with a little slower tempo and Kassav' did that pretty well through lead singer Jocelyn Beroard.
The links you and @horse.kills showed were not really Zouk in fact, it was more "Zouk love", a slowed down, RnB'd, modern version of Zouk which content is mostly about love, or other sentimental soft bullshyt :laugh:
As you can see, I'm not really a fan of zouk love because I think it's not a diverse enough type of music (same rhythm, same content over and over...) but still, here's one of my fav Zouk Love songs and one of my fav artists (Slaï) from this genre :

We french west indians had our own Michael Jackson with Jean-Michel Rotin (listen to his voice and vocalizes in the following links :laugh:). He was the first real zouk love artist, the real godfather. I liked him too as a youngin (Slaï came way after him) :

Then if you want the real zouk, here are a few Kassav tracks which shows some diversity and why they the GOAT at it.

:ahh: Grew up with those tracks :ahh:

(to be continued)

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
(continuing)

The triple OG though is Francky Vincent, which his colorful sex lyrics made him the leading figure of the genre in the metropole :

Three of the most known Zouk songs :

None of those are in french by the way, because what you hear is french creole, so don't try to look up to any dictionary, you won't find anything. :jawalrus:

Last edited:

concise

Veteran
Daps
Sorry breh, couldn't answer earlier because I get no alert when I'm tagged :ld:

So about that Jennifer Dias song, the accent is not weird, it's even pretty clear french. There are some portuguese phrases because she's cape verdean but still, it's pretty understandable. In the chorus, she says "Prends ma main, viens danser, hé !" (Take my hand and come to dance, hey !").
It's hard to phonetize that because you english speakers don't have nasal vowels like us French or Portuguese speakers do... even Spanish and Italian people have huge problems with those even though with have the same root language-wise (latin) because in theirs, all their vowels are pronounced.
For example, prends, main, viens, danser : all the underlined letters constitute a nasal vowel (like in croissant) so that may be why you can't properly decipher the lyrics even when reading them. But holla at me if you need some translations : zouk love tracks are pretty easy lyrics wise.

And about the music itself. It's from the french west Indies (Guadeloupe and Martinique mostly) and was popularized by Kassav', La Compagnie Créole and Francky Vincent in the late 80's/ early 90's. It's more high tempo, made to party to dance and bring positive mood through positive lyrics (the carribean way). But Zouk also can be about sad things with a little slower tempo and Kassav' did that pretty well through lead singer Jocelyn Beroard.
The links you and @horse.kills showed were not really Zouk in fact, it was more "Zouk love", a slowed down, RnB'd, modern version of Zouk which content is mostly about love, or other sentimental soft bullshyt :laugh:
As you can see, I'm not really a fan of zouk love because I think it's not a diverse enough type of music (same rhythm, same content over and over...) but still, here's one of my fav Zouk Love songs and one of my fav artists (Slaï) from this genre :

We french west indians had our own Michael Jackson with Jean-Michel Rotin (listen to his voice and vocalizes in the following links :laugh:). He was the first real zouk love artist, the real godfather. I liked him too as a youngin (Slaï came way after him) :

Then if you want the real zouk, here are a few Kassav tracks which shows some diversity and why they the GOAT at it.

:ahh: Grew up with those tracks :ahh:

(to be continued)

- no alert when tagged? You turned that off?

- her accent isn't weird?
gif.png
To my ears, it sounds weird as hell, especially compared to something like that Flamme remake. :ld: And I'm very familiar with nasal vowels, breh. My family's from Haiti, and we always have a laugh when some names are repeated on American television. :laugh: Hell, most of these songs I had to find by googling lyrics, because the main station I listen to refuses to identify artists.
Funny thing, I asked one of my younger cousins whether or not he listens to zouk, replied, "Oh non. Sa se vye muzik gran moun". :laugh: I don't mind this kind of zouk anyway. I like R&B a lot. :ld: Though, what else should I be checking out like in terms of stations, other artists, whatever?

concise

Veteran
Daps
speaking of Francky Vincent, what is with this song? Innuendos all over the place. :deadmanny:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Liu Kang, where you from in the French West Indies? Are there big differences between Haitian Creole and the Guadeloupe/ Martinique version?

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
- no alert when tagged? You turned that off?

- her accent isn't weird?
gif.png
To my ears, it sounds weird as hell, especially compared to something like that Flamme remake. :ld: And I'm very familiar with nasal vowels, breh. My family's from Haiti, and we always have a laugh when some names are repeated on American television. :laugh: Hell, most of these songs I had to find by googling lyrics, because the main station I listen to refuses to identify artists.
Funny thing, I asked one of my younger cousins whether or not he listens to zouk, replied, "Oh non. Sa se vye muzik gran moun". :laugh: I don't mind this kind of zouk anyway. I like R&B a lot. :ld: Though, what else should I be checking out like in terms of stations, other artists, whatever?
Nah it's a bug, I don't why I ask about it in Event Staff.
But I forgot you were haitian (thought you were a 100% english speaker), my bad, I explained stuff you already knew :beli:
About Jennifer Dias, I don't hear any accent honestly. She seems like a "perfect" french speaker and she articulates well so she's clear to me... When do you have problems in the song ? There are parts in portuguese that I don't understand but on the french parts I have no problems :ld:
About Zouk, yeah they don't make it anymore (or I don't about, but I no longer listen to zouk so that may be why I don't know) so that's why it's considered oldies but that's still goodes to me :laugh:.
But I was not hating on you liking zouk love, I was just hating the genre which is too bland to me... So I can't really give you any artists to follow but in France there is one main radio for everything west indian related, 92.6 FM aka Tropiques Fm (ex-Média Tropical) : http://www.tropiquesfm.net/.
Here the online player, if you want to listen on your computer : http://www.tropiquesfm.net/?page=player
Mai @concise, si ou pé compren kréyol, nou pé palé i, pa ni pwoblem frè :shaq: Com ou sé an haitien é Kompa sé mizik a zot', fo an di ou ké pè an mwen émè kompa com zouk pask i té émè toute mizik antillez (i té ka joué piano évè toute katé groupe antiyé é i meme jouéy évè Tabou !). Nou té ni toute katé cds a miziciens haitiens mè an pa raplé mwen toute c nom la mè sèl choz an pé di cé : Kompa :lawd:
T-Vice :lawd:

14:30 !

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Liu Kang, where you from in the French West Indies? Are there big differences between Haitian Creole and the Guadeloupe/ Martinique version?
Guadeloupe & Martinique (pop & mom).
Between haitians, we can understand ourselves with no real problems even if there are strong differences sometimes ( well even between martinican and guadeloupean creoles, there are differences), but haitians are not really liked in Guadeloupe. I don't have anything against them personnally but there are few people who really hate them. I still remember when I was younger there that this Ibo Simon guy had a 1hr segment on the fifth channel straight shytting on haitians the whole time. :russ:
It was funny, but it's not really. That just black on black racism and this Ibo Simon is just a far right, xenophovic guadeloupean :merchant:
Guadeloupean feels very french when confronted to haitian immigration but love to be guadeloupean when facing metropolitan french (white or west indian born there, whom they called negropolitans which is a kind of "metropolitan black sellouts" IMO).
In France, you are french by birth and on those islands there is an important immigration for people fleeing poverty to obtain french economic aids through children (unfortunately). that's why Haitians are hated by a part of Guadeloupeans but it's been awhile since I've been there so my view on this issue may be dated :whoa:
speaking of Francky Vincent, what is with this song? Innuendos all over the place. :deadmanny:

:dead:
Lately dude has been all over the place (I just can listen to it without laughing :laugh:)

"You want my ding dong"

"Your ass stanks"

"Restaurant (you scumbags)"

It's a diss to his former employees of the restaurant he had to close 6 monts after opening it. Hilarious, shots fired all around, Battle Royale style :russ:

Last edited:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interesting stuff brehs, I feel like the French West Indies gets really overlooked in the Anglophone world, could be the opposite in France.

I know he's Congolese, but this was a fire party track :whew: