Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
That PL TV money + the parachute payments that ease things if you go down makes some of these clubs go wild.

Nottingham Forest is moving out here like they're Barca or something. :pachaha:

This is why I didn't get why the PL clubs were in on the Super League thing. Why risk their position as the top dogs of what is going to easily be the biggest and richest football league in the world because of its cultural reach just to squeeze a little more money out of continental club competition?

Because the American owners (United Arsenal Liverpool) are about making more money without any jeopardy attached to the league much like US sports. Spurs want to be a bigger club and out of the 6 they are the poor relation in terms of success. Too good of an opportunity and like Citeh and Chelsea the 2 oil clubs only wanted in so they didn't get left out of it.

Last edited:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Its tough being a big club with historic reputation like United.

Don’t want to reset and go through a rebuild process because its painful, so you scramble to make splash signings. It keeps the team and fanbase temporarily afloat but doesn’t solve the real problems. If the new signings don’t fit, because they didn’t fit any type of strategy, you’re stuck with an angry, nonperforming player with a shytty contract you can’t dump. :francis:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
there is nothing that says there is anything wrong with casimiro's motivation.

that's pure conjecture.

the media is always trying to spin a narrative. and it is normally one of the simple ones.

do you have "ulterior" motives for everything you do? maybe he just wants to play in another league.

ronny and varane are already at the club.

if i was a footballer i would want to play in the top leagues and i would want to play in the US and brazil as well.

why not? you only live once and they have short careers.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Man utd trying to sign Casemiro is stupid.
In normal circumstances paying over 60m and giving a 5 year contract to a 30 year old is not smart. But when you take a step back and study Man United's transfer strategy going for Casemiro is the best they can do.

There are two things at play with Murtough and rest of the leadership. One is incompetence (which we already knew) but now the second thing is they are in protecting their jobs mode, there is too much heat and no one wants to take the blame for transfer failures. Their thought process is 'Real Madrid is a great team, they keep winning, so they have to know what a great defensive midfielder is', so in practice Real did the the scouting for them.

They passed on Bruno Guimares in January, they passed on Caicedo for cheap, they passed on Boubacar Kamara on a free, they were never in for Matheus Nunes or Vitinha.

But they're bidding 80m on Anthony and 50m on Gakpo because with them they can blame ETH if they're failures. There's no way you can tell me they had no scouting report on Nkunku but know enough about Gakpo to put in a 50m bid :heh:

Last edited:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Casemiro is a quality signing but I'm not sure how he fits in ETH vision. He isnt really the press resistant midfielder that will kickstart the possession play. He doesnt really make progressive/line breaking passes which is what United needs for their 6 and usually what McFred is critised for lacking.

He'll definitely help with pressing duties and stabilizing the midfield which is partly what United needs though. I do feel Casemiro would have been a nice addition had Pogba stayed as it would have relieved him of some defensive duties.

Anyway, I'm thinking Casemiro/Fred in a double pivot with Bruno/Eriksen as 10 ? I can see it working if ETH temporary gives up at building from the back and chase results in the meanwhile.

Because unless they change De Gea and bring bring a creative 8 around Case, I can't see how United will be a possession team.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Casemiro is a quality signing but I'm not sure how he fits in ETH vision. He isnt really the press resistant midfielder that will kickstart the possession play. He doesnt really make progressive/line breaking passes which is what United needs for their 6 and usually what McFred is critised for lacking.

He'll definitely help with pressing duties and stabilizing the midfield which is partly what United needs though. I do feel Casemiro would have been a nice addition had Pogba stayed as it would have relieved him of some defensive duties.

Anyway, I'm thinking Casemiro/Fred in a double pivot with Bruno/Eriksen as 10 ? I can see it working if ETH temporary gives up at building from the back and chase results in the meanwhile.

Because unless they change De Gea and bring bring a creative 8 around Case, I can't see how United will be a possession team.
We still need someone to dictate the play. Ideally one more midfielder alongside Casemiro.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
Because the American owners (United Arsenal Liverpool) are about making more money without any jeopardy attached to the league much like US sports. Spurs want to be a bigger club and out of the 6 they are the poor relation in terms of success. Too good of an opportunity and like Citeh and Chelsea the 2 oil clubs only wanted in so they didn't get left out of it.

This is a good summary. Super league was really a United and Liverpool collab with Madrid and some other non English clubs pushing for it. It makes a lot of sense for Madrid etc because they spent decades killing any competition in their leagues with lopsided deals, but never made sense for any English team, unless they are in 20th place..