Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
You talking about Paul Kariya? Absolutely not. I meant that Hockey Players and Football players don't flop and it takes a lot for them to stay on the ground/ice for more than 5 seconds

Thing about hockey and football is that the field of play is smaller and contact is not just "a part of the game", you literally cannot play the sport without touching another human.
Also, in hockey specifically you have more inertia/speed, so expecting people to pull out of a check is physically impossible in most cases.
In soccer, there more opportunity to not have contact at all. But in the case of flopping, that could EASILY be changed by enforcement. If the officials let men play, there would be less flopping. But looking for fouls and penalties is so much of a viable strategy that there's no reason NOT to.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Hockey players be like that too.
RectangularVigilantDegu-max-1mb.gif

paul kariya (guy who got hit) came back like a shift later even though his brains were scrambled.

He said he doesn't even remember that game

The most infamous concussion of Kariya’s career came in Game 6 of 2003 Stanley Cup Final, when the Anaheim Ducks captain took a blindside headshot from Scott Stevens after dumping the puck into the New Jersey Devils' zone. He spent 48 seconds lying on the ice motionless after hitting the ice.

“So many people remember just that moment because it was so startling,” Farber told TSN 1200. “I’m sitting there in the building and I thought he was dead. Honest to goodness, I thought he was dead. Or could have been dead. He didn’t breathe, most people in the Honda Center didn’t breathe as well because there was that fear.”

Kariya eventually took a deep breathe, fogging his visor, and opening his eyes. He left for the dressing room, but returned just minutes later. He went on to score the game’s winning goal on a slapshot as the Ducks kept their season alive. Fourteen years later, Kariya told Farber he has no recollection of the game.

“Speaking to Mike Babcock about it, who was coaching the Ducks then, he said if that had happened now, we wouldn’t have seen Paul forever,” Farber explained. “Paul went into the dressing room, came back to the bench scored a goal and has no recollection of scoring it and doesn’t remember playing in Game 7 back in New Jersey, either.

“It’s pretty frightening.”

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
paul kariya (guy who got hit) came back like a shift later even though his brains were scrambled.

He said he doesn't even remember that game

The most infamous concussion of Kariya’s career came in Game 6 of 2003 Stanley Cup Final, when the Anaheim Ducks captain took a blindside headshot from Scott Stevens after dumping the puck into the New Jersey Devils' zone. He spent 48 seconds lying on the ice motionless after hitting the ice.

“So many people remember just that moment because it was so startling,” Farber told TSN 1200. “I’m sitting there in the building and I thought he was dead. Honest to goodness, I thought he was dead. Or could have been dead. He didn’t breathe, most people in the Honda Center didn’t breathe as well because there was that fear.”

Kariya eventually took a deep breathe, fogging his visor, and opening his eyes. He left for the dressing room, but returned just minutes later. He went on to score the game’s winning goal on a slapshot as the Ducks kept their season alive. Fourteen years later, Kariya told Farber he has no recollection of the game.

“Speaking to Mike Babcock about it, who was coaching the Ducks then, he said if that had happened now, we wouldn’t have seen Paul forever,” Farber explained. “Paul went into the dressing room, came back to the bench scored a goal and has no recollection of scoring it and doesn’t remember playing in Game 7 back in New Jersey, either.

“It’s pretty frightening.”
I remember seeing it live. On one hand, back then watching Scott Stevens demolish players coming through that area of the ice during the Stanley cup runs were cool, but I'm glad they got rid of those hits. Reading this post and watching that gif are pretty frightening.

I'll take my 3 Stanley Cup finals wins tho.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I remember seeing it live. On one hand, back then watching Scott Stevens demolish players coming through that area of the ice during the Stanley cup runs were cool, but I'm glad they got rid of those hits. Reading this post and watching that gif are pretty frightening.

I'll take my 3 Stanley Cup finals wins tho.

that ron francis hit is my fav
:wow:

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really hope this news that the Rabiot deal is off is true.

We were willing to make him one of our highest earners.

Can't believe we are this thick and desperate.