Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
yet when he plays for france hes world class. Man U failed him with trash team and managers
You can make that argument but the biggest issue with Pogba is that he's missed 84 matches for United since 2016. That's almost two and a half seasons worth of matches. Doesn't matter who the team or manager is, that's just not viable.

Neymar missed 101 matches since 2017 for PSG but he's got a sister to visit :huhldup:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
You can make that argument but the biggest issue with Pogba is that he's missed 84 matches for United since 2016. That's almost two and a half seasons worth of matches. Doesn't matter who the team or manager is, that's just not viable.

Neymar missed 101 matches since 2017 for PSG but he's got a sister to visit :huhldup:

Thiago is missing for a lot of matches too but when available he is used well and adds something to the 'poo team.

Thiago - Injury history

Pogba has been misused. 3 years of Ole where Pogba went backwards. Mou did ok until season 3. We smashed Ajax in that final :blessed:

Piffiztheanswer

L'immortale
Daps
Reppin
The International Scene
He has laid the foundations and will be grateful for his contribution but...

The team isn't playing good football. There is a lack of energy in the team. The tactics are basically give the ball to the left and hope Theo and Leao work some magic. It's predictable even when the team was playing well and scoring freely earlier on in the season. Also what about all the injuries? Is it the medical staff or is he training them too hard?

Making Kessie captain is inexcusable tbh. He's being rewarded after telling the club to phuck off. That armband should of been Tomoris.
Yeah you right. He cant take us to the heights we were used to but the foundations he laid are important for that next step hopefully the next coach can unlock the Old AC. He def has his limits as a coach and makes questionable decisions.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
You aren't accounting for the pace at the international level is slower than in the PL. Xhaka looks a totally different player when he plays for Switzerland than he has ever done for Arsenal :manny:
I don't think pace of the game is the issue. Germany and Spain play with the fastest pace and pressing out of all the international teams and yet earlier this season and euro, he was the best midfielder on the field when he played while being consistently pressed. I think he just strive better with better players around him with somewhat technical skills. I think he just get discourage playing at United. Plus he's not a midfielder who countols matches so a chaotic team like United brings out his worst flaws. France doesn't play on the front foot but every player knows their role.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I don't think pace of the game is the issue. Germany and Spain play with the fastest pace and pressing out of all the international teams and yet earlier this season and euro, he was the best midfielder on the field when he played while being consistently pressed. I think he just strive better with better players around him with somewhat technical skills. I think he just get discourage playing at United. Plus he's not a midfielder who countols matches so a chaotic team like United brings out his worst flaws. France doesn't play on the front foot but every player knows their role.

:mjlol:

Spain's midfield vs France was Biscuits Rodri and 17 year old Gavi. What press? Whose making Pogba uncomfortable in midfield out of those 3? Rodri? Only because of the size :ld: None of those are making Pogba make quicker decisions like he has to do week in week out in the Prem.

Did you not see the pace that Chelsea played at vs Madrid the other day? Germany and Spain ain't putting that level of intensity in games like that. What about Liverpool and Citeh? Germany weren't pressing like the German clubs sides do under Low.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
:mjlol:

Spain's midfield vs France was Biscuits Rodri and 17 year old Gavi. What press? Whose making Pogba uncomfortable in midfield out of those 3? Rodri? Only because of the size :ld: None of those are making Pogba make quicker decisions like he has to do week in week out in the Prem.

Did you not see the pace that Chelsea played at vs Madrid the other day? Germany and Spain ain't putting that level of intensity in games like that. What about Liverpool and Citeh? Germany weren't pressing like the German clubs sides do under Low.
okay so what about Liepzig vs Man U last season champions league?
doesn't Rodri play for City? Gavi is a good presser. even if Germany and Spain don't press like Liverpool and City, they still press just as intense as or more than most PL teams. I think you are overstating PL pressing and pace by stating Germany and Spain are not as intense as them. Pogba was playing against them in competition, not friendlies. Spain had a 1199 km in distance covered that game. the average PL team is at 1014 km per game. and we all know it's mostly midfielders that do the most running. Germany also had a higher distance coverage than Spain when they played against France in the Euros. you can say those midfielders from these two teams he played against weren't making him uncomfortable but they are still superior than the average PL and bundesliga midfielder. and they ran and pressed harder than than the average midfielders from those league. Speaking of bundesliga, he was able to handle Leipzig press last season in the group stage.
and also before this season, Pogba had actually had good games against City. people forget that because he hadn't played against them for the past two seasons from of injuries.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
3-0 to crystal palace
2-1 to brighton
1-0 to southampton

drogba-disgrace.gif

Gotta defend Teta. Palace and today were happening no matter what. Palace under the lights and Chelsea winning 6-0 last week sealed our fate. Certain losses are baked into the calendar.

Saying all that. Someone gotta lose their job. Arsenal can't come 8th 3 years in a row and run everyone back. :demonic:

I backed off on my Arteta agenda because he was a young manager and mistakes will be made but January said a lot about the club.

Last edited:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
okay so what about Liepzig vs Man U last season champions league?
doesn't Rodri play for City? Gavi is a good presser. even if Germany and Spain don't press like Liverpool and City, they still press just as intense as or more than most PL teams. I think you are overstating PL pressing and pace by stating Germany and Spain are not as intense as them. Pogba was playing against them in competition, not friendlies. Spain had a 1199 km in distance covered that game. the average PL team is at 1014 km per game. and we all know it's mostly midfielders that do the most running. Germany also had a higher distance coverage than Spain when they played against France in the Euros. you can say those midfielders from these two teams he played against weren't making him uncomfortable but they are still superior than the average PL and bundesliga midfielder. and they ran and pressed harder than than the average midfielders from those league. Speaking of bundesliga, he was able to handle Leipzig press last season in the group stage.
and also before this season, Pogba had actually had good games against City. people forget that because he hadn't played against them for the past two seasons from of injuries.

:mjlol: you still don't get it. Cherry picking individual games vs the PL team average (the week in week out). Just to justify the juelzing of Pogba. Bu-bu-but Pogba had a 20 assist game vs Leeds. Leeds the team that played 1v1 marking on a full press. Only Leeds under Bielsa did that.

The Physicality. The sprints and the high intensity of those sprints is what makes the Prem different.

From 19/20 season pre covid. So no excuses :skip:

Intensity

fig1.png

Sprints

fiig2.png

Volume

fig3.png

See I'm even nice enough to put in the volume to give you a win. Just don't look at the high intensity distance tho :mjgrin:

In the words of a former EL winner.

Maurizio Sarri concurred. “In Italy, we run more in terms of quantity but the difference (with the Premier League) is the quality,”

Look at Werner Havertz coming from pressing league like Germany as soon as they come to the PL:damn: I didn't realise the league was so physical and intense.

This is Bryan Gill as you love Spain so much.

"[The physicality] is very noticeable, truly," he said. "It's a slightly higher level of intensity. I really noticed it physically.

"The adaptation for me was difficult. It's a very physical style of football, back and forth. But being there was good for me, even if I didn't play as much as I wanted, I have matured because of it.

"I changed habits like eating, I had a chef at home and I gained two kilos. Even so, I noticed that it was not enough for the physical level that exists in the Premier League. At Valencia, I continue to work hard on endurance, physicality, in case I have to come back, to be prepared."

Partey looks top quality when he has time and space when he's made to feel uncomfortable he makes mistakes and loses the ball/duels. Xhaka also has this problem.

Thiago struggled last season but has learnt you have to play quicker in the PL cannot hold on to the ball like you can do in Spain Germany and International football and he's looks a better player for it this season.

I'll let @SCORCH explain to you about Jorginho.

What about Ndombele? What was his excuse? Let me guess the coaches? :mjgrin:

Why should Ancelotti be playing Camavinga and Valverde alongside Modric instead of Casemiro and Kroos :jbhmm:

Jordi Cruyff explains why Barcelona targeted specifically Premier League players this January - Football Espana

:jbhmm:

You dilly dally on the ball you will get mugged and that's at all levels just more so in the PL.:manny:

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
even mark "copper" goldbridge :mjpls: talking more sense than some brehs on here.

pointing out how Pogba is being targetted and how the club is silent on it.

meanwhile when Maguire was booed the club/journos supported him.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
:mjlol: you still don't get it. Cherry picking individual games vs the PL team average (the week in week out). Just to justify the juelzing of Pogba. Bu-bu-but Pogba had a 20 assist game vs Leeds. Leeds the team that played 1v1 marking on a full press. Only Leeds under Bielsa did that.

The Physicality. The sprints and the high intensity of those sprints is what makes the Prem different.

From 19/20 season pre covid. So no excuses :skip:

Intensity

fig1.png

Sprints

fiig2.png

Volume

fig3.png

See I'm even nice enough to put in the volume to give you a win. Just don't look at the high intensity distance tho :mjgrin:

In the words of a former EL winner.

Look at Werner Havertz coming from pressing league like Germany as soon as they come to the PL:damn: I didn't realise the league was so physical and intense.

This is Bryan Gill as you love Spain so much.

Partey looks top quality when he has time and space when he's made to feel uncomfortable he makes mistakes and loses the ball/duels. Xhaka also has this problem.

Thiago struggled last season but has learnt you have to play quicker in the PL cannot hold on to the ball like you can do in Spain Germany and International football and he's looks a better player for it this season.

I'll let @SCORCH explain to you about Jorginho.

What about Ndombele? What was his excuse? Let me guess the coaches? :mjgrin:

Why should Ancelotti be playing Camavinga and Valverde alongside Modric instead of Casemiro and Kroos :jbhmm:

Jordi Cruyff explains why Barcelona targeted specifically Premier League players this January - Football Espana

:jbhmm:

You dilly dally on the ball you will get mugged and that's at all levels just more so in the PL.:manny:
I already said Pogba is not consistent, but I don't think it has to do with intensity because of the PL

as for Ndombele, everyone who watched him in ligue 1 before the transfer, will tell you he was inconsistent also