Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Daps
And even tho I want Waistcoat gone, I'll still say hes done a good job overall considering what other England managers/coaches have done both on and off (football related things) the pitch. It's just the evolution needs someone with a better vision and he isnt equipped as a coach to do it. The refusal to drill the defence into being a working unit as they look like strangers when they defend. Instead he's picking 7 defenders and even then that still doesnt work in the starting line ups and the chances created gets worst the better teams they play. Which doesnt make sense especially when you have flexible attacking players that are all comfortable on the ball and who can drive with the ball.

Yeah I agree he has done some good things , like getting rid of old dead wood other previous managers would never dream of doing.

It's strange he cant get the defence working well as he was a ok defender himself in his playing days, certainly a reliable one.

One of his problems is he has his favourites and continues to play them regardless like you said , even playing them out of positions ( but then previous managers have done the same mistakes)

Picking Walker and then playing him in a central 3 is just :what:

Probably get slated for this but I've never really rated him, sorry :hubie:

dont think he is that good of a right back so to then play him in a central 3 when you could play someone like Coady who plays in a central 3 has always left me like :jbhmm:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I'm sure he is a good coach on a training ground but he doesn't have the man management skills to lead a group of players, or at least right now.
All those famous ex players thinking coaching is easy. I really dont get how they just dont get themselves a second or third league team to coach with no stress and get the hang of things low key.

For every Zidane or Pep, there are too many Makelele and Henry. I like what Gerrard did (though Rangers is still a relatively known team but they were in rebuild mode) and man took his time and in 3 years he established himself as a legit coach.

I get they have an ego but jumping right to a first league team is risky as hell. Arteta should have gone coaching that City feeder team in La Liga.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I agree he has done some good things , like getting rid of old dead wood other previous managers would never dream of doing.

It's strange he cant get the defence working well as he was a ok defender himself in his playing days, certainly a reliable one.

One of his problems is he has his favourites and continues to play them regardless like you said , even playing them out of positions ( but then previous managers have done the same mistakes)

dont think he is that good of a right back so to then play him in a central 3 when you could play someone like Coady who plays in a central 3 has always left me like :jbhmm:
Walker is not a good right back same way Roberto Carlos was not a good left back I'd say.

He's not there to defend but to put pressure on the opposite side thanks to his speed/athleticism so the opposite FB is nullified. It's double-edged and that can backfired badly (Henry goal in the WC 06 is 100% Carlos' fault for example) but most of the time, it works.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
how does arteta still have a job it's maddening

breh could lose to west brom on sunday 5-0 and prob still keep his job

Daps
Walker is not a good right back same way Roberto Carlos was not a good left back I'd say.

He's not there to defend but to put pressure on the opposite side thanks to his speed/athleticism so the opposite FB is nullified. It's double-edged and that can backfired badly (Henry goal in the WC 06 is 100% Carlos' fault for example) but most of the time, it works.

That is Walker's only good thing he has imo,
He is not good at defending, not that good a crossing the ball like other full backs either

Often out of position so he has to peg it back at full pelt and then just normally fouls the opposition so not really good at tackling either

But for some reason he is one of Waistcoats favourite, it baffles me

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
He is not good at defending, not that good a crossing the ball like other full backs either

Often out of position so he has to peg it back at full pelt and then just normally fouls the opposition so not really good at tackling either

I totally agree with dude's weaknesses if he was of just above average speed, he would play with a bottom table club.

But that speed is money in today's game above all with all those speedy wingers. Plus I think he is also good at timing his runs so he will always be a threat for a team focusing on wing play.

Now it's obviously a balance between how many chances he will let on his wing and how many he can create :lolbron:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

I totally agree with dude's weaknesses if he was of just above average speed, he would play with a bottom table club.

But that speed is money in today's game above all with all those speedy wingers. Plus I think he is also good at timing his runs so he will always be a threat for a team focusing on wing play.

Now it's obviously a balance between how many chances he will let on his wing and how many he can create :lolbron:

I dont like Walker at all and youve pretty much said what I think about his defending. What I have noticed with Citeh tho is that he sometimes plays as a auxiliary 3rd CB/RCB especially when either Cancelo and Zinchenko play on the left so they can play higher up in their inverted position. Plus with the DM mainly Rodri or as it was on Tuesday Fernandinho leaves a diamond shape at the back so no one is flat. Which reminds me of Brazil's square of 94 World Cup the 2 CB's 2 DM and the FB's playing literally as WB/SM/W when attacking.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

Coady has to play as the central player in the 3. Walker plays as the side CB as its generally easier for a traditional FB to go to the flank when the forward pulls out there as a traditional CB lacking in pace struggles and is in a foreign defensive position in the back 3.

I just dont get why and it isnt complicated tbh to have your back 3 when attacking and transition to a back 4 pushing a WB into a SM position depending on what side of play they are on when defending.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
All those famous ex players thinking coaching is easy. I really dont get how they just dont get themselves a second or third league team to coach with no stress and get the hang of things low key.

For every Zidane or Pep, there are too many Makelele and Henry. I like what Gerrard did (though Rangers is still a relatively known team but they were in rebuild mode) and man took his time and in 3 years he established himself as a legit coach.

I get they have an ego but jumping right to a first league team is risky as hell. Arteta should have gone coaching that City feeder team in La Liga.

I think a lot of it has to with many greats players played on instinct and feel which is hard to replicate to mere mortals vs the analytical nature of players who wanted to understand and improve on their games consistently.