Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

I keep telling people about Germany. Lehmann would only do that if he thought he could get away with it. It is only the international limelight that has led to his release.

:ufdup:

Social media and the change in international tone will slowly expose them.

In general it is illegal to film people and publish it in Germany (privacy laws), but even that is slowly changing.

Once it does and once this gets going people are going to be shocked at what has remained hidden for so long.

WWII attitudes still live in the heads of far too many of them AND they lack filters and social grace.

:picard:

-

Arsenal legend Jens Lehmann is given the SACK by Sky in Germany and from Hertha Berlin's board after calling ex-German international Dennis Aogo TV punditry's 'token black guy' in a WhatsApp message
  • Jens Lehmann has become embroiled in a racism storm in Germany this morning
  • Arsenal Invincibles goalkeeper sent Sky Sport pundit Dennis Aogo a message asking if he was the company's 'token black guy' on Tuesday evening
  • Aogo posted screenshot and said the message 'probably wasn't meant for him'
  • Lehmann has since been sacked from Hertha Berlin's board as fans urge companies to cut ties with footballer-turned-pundit in wake of racism storm
Jens Lehmann has been sacked by both Hertha Berlin and Sky Germany after appearing to accidentally text fellow TV pundit Dennis Aogo asking if he was the company's 'token black guy'.

In what appears to be a WhatsApp message mistakenly sent to Aogo, Germany and Arsenal legend Lehmann - translated literally - says: 'Is Dennis actually your "black" one?,' following it with a laughing emoji.

Aogo posted a screenshot to his Instagram story shortly after, alongside the caption: 'WOW... The message was probably not meant for me!!!'

It is not yet clear who Lehmann meant to send the message to, but it has resulted in him being sacked from his position as an advisor on Hertha Berlin's board, while a statement from Sky said the company would no longer have the ex-goalkeeper on their platform.

Executive vice president of Sky Sport Charly Classen said: 'Dennis Aogo is a valued colleague and excellent expert and we are very happy to have him on our team. At Sky, we condemn all forms of racism and we don't give racism space or a platform.

'We often had Jens Lehmann as a guest on Sky on our program, are very disappointed with his behaviour and are now planning not to invite him as a guest on our programs.'

Jens Lehmann is SACKED from Hertha Berlin's board after calling Dennis Aogo 'a token black guy' | Daily Mail Online

The Bookie

I live by two words: Fcuk you, pay me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
Lehman has apologised and said he meant that, as ex-Germany defender Aogo was "very knowledgeable", he had helped increase the "quota".

:dead: :dead:

Lehman is definitely an AFD voter.

I remember him basically saying that London made him more tolerant because his son had a black friend, and back in Germany, he wouldn't let that run.

The Bookie

I live by two words: Fcuk you, pay me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
Lehmann: England Made Me Tolerant | Goal.com

Lehmann: England Made Me Tolerant

30120_gallery.jpg

German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has spoken fondly of his time in England, after ending his five-year stay in the Premier League…
AdvertisementScroll to continue with content
The 38-year-old recently completed his move to Stuttgart on a free transfer, having lost his place as Arsenal’s No. 1 last season after some early-season blunders.

The one-time AC Milan keeper, who is currently preparing for this month’s European Championship finals, had a somewhat tumultuous relationship with his Gunners team-mates, especially during his latter years at the club.

But Lehmann enjoyed life in London, and believes his five years in the English capital have helped he and his family become more adaptable and accepting of other cultures.

Tolerant

"First we learnt English well,” he told German magazine Cicero. “We moved three times and always had to adapt to new things.

"You become much, much more tolerant [in England]. Through the many people of different origins you get more cosmopolitan. You realise that as a German you have been accustomed to certain procedures and a way of thinking, such as everything needs to be on time and needs to work. In England it is different. If you've lived five years in London you're used to a different life.

"My children have become small Europeans. They speak English and have – due to their language skills – no problems in adapting at all. At the beginning, the best friends of my small son were Afro-Americans. You don't often have that in Germany. But in England you learn that you are a foreigner yourself and need to adapt. You approach 'so-called foreigners' much more tolerantly and unprejudiced.

"In England everything is liberalised. Within certain boundaries and rules everybody can do what he likes. Maybe London's society has a different tempo, a different dynamic. London is fast, productive, creative but it is not England. If you want to transfer that to football, you could say: in the four big English clubs and maybe in the one or two behind them there is a top level.

“Everything that comes after that rather mirrors English society. It's honest, fair and hard, sometimes also fast, but not always so perfect."

Globalisation

While Lehmann praised the flexibility of the English people, he noted that such a way of life is not without its drawbacks.

"People need to drive longer to reach their place of work or they even have to move," he said. "Old habits are abandoned for the benefit of things that are doable.

"That's different in Germany where there is fear of change, of globalisation. Nowhere in Europe do you feel globalisation as strong as in England.

"The English have similar angst like the Germans. The average Englishman often feels unsettled because he sees more and more – qualified – foreigners coming into the country. They take something away from him. For example, I took away the position of an English goalkeeper.

"On the other hand it's good that foreign capital has been coming into the Premier League. The TV ratings are higher, the attendance figures are bigger, the turnovers have increased. Nobody can say that the engagement of foreign investors has had negative effects."

Respect

There were times during Lehmann’s Arsenal career when the English people were not so tolerant of the foreign invasion he represented.

The former Schalke shot-stopper admitted to suffering some strong verbal abuse on occasions, but insisted it was nothing more than a few bad apples.

He said: "At every away game, behind the goal, there were spectators who shouted: 'You Nazi pig'. But you must not take that too seriously. It's only very few fans who shout something like that. Basically the fans respect every player."

Mike Maguire

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
We play Leicester on a Tuesday then Liverpool on a Thursday. :lupe:

8* Days

Donny will still be on the bench and Rashford is going to die on the pitch....:francis:

Last edited:

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
Lehman speaks like most cacs,anything nikkas get is because of tokenism /affirmative action

british cacs cant stand MIcah or Alex scott and they make no bones about why they dont:mjpls:

Anyway congrats to city:mjgrin: they did not choke this time:skip: Anyway i think chelsea will regret not beating madrid last week , this madrid team aint as good as the 3 peat but the experience is still there

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
Lehman speaks like most cacs,anything nikkas get is because of tokenism /affirmative action

british cacs cant stand MIcah or Alex scott and they make no bones about why they dont:mjpls:

Anyway congrats to city:mjgrin: they did not choke this time:skip: Anyway i think chelsea will regret not beating madrid last week , this madrid team aint as good as the 3 peat but the experience is still there
Mic00n is awful though :manny: