Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
George Best quotes - ‘I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep’

‘In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life’

‘If I had to choose between dribbling past 5 players and scoring from 40 yards at Anfield or shagging Miss World, it’d be a hard choice. Thankfully I’ve done both’

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
George Best quotes - ‘I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep’

‘In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life’

‘If I had to choose between dribbling past 5 players and scoring from 40 yards at Anfield or shagging Miss World, it’d be a hard choice. Thankfully I’ve done both’

I used to go missing a lot........Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss world

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
thats big on flex part
cac admitted he was wrong :mjpls:

Just finished watching this. He didn’t really apologise to Flex and his stance on mainstream media treating on-air talent as quotas reeks of :mjpls:. Especially when criticising the replacement of Le Tissier and Charlie Nicholas because it’s not like they were known for their educated football takes. They were personalities just as much as these YouTube personalities.

This guy is just old, out of touch and afraid of the fact that traditional sports journalism doesn’t have a monopoly over what fans are consuming. Besides that, I don’t give anyone that works for The Sun the benefit of the doubt as far as not being prejudice.

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London

G Nev- "Harry Maguire’s problem is Lindelof and Lindelof’s problem is Harry Maguire "

Been saying what we've been complaining about for a year now.

Lindelof would do well for Liverpool with VVD next to him.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
What's Naby got to do with anything? :heh:

Keep his name out ya mouth :ufdup:

You have preconceived notions about Kloppo, his methods and the narrative of his last season at Dortmund, I know exactly what you are saying bro but it's pure confirmation bias.

11/12 season Dortmund won the league. 12/13 CL Final and finished 25 points behind Bayern can blame that on making and concentrating on CL. Next season finished 19 points behind Bayern and went out Q/F stage. Last season 14/15 The team went to shyt in the first half of the season and came back strong because Klopp didnt trust any of his new signings barring Auba and finished 7th. And while the stats said they were playing fine and hitting high numbers but they werent converting their chances pretty much like how Liverpool have struggled this season in the run vs the bottom half of the table team. You never guess what is a known cause of teams not taking chances but ill save that for later. Rumblings of Klopp/Dortmund being burnt out go back as far as the 13/14 season. Picked up a lot more in 14/15. He did resign 18 months into a 5 year contract citing he was the reason why he had to go.

You're wrong about rotation, I've complained myself I wish it was better at times cause I lean towards the Rafa school of though but he has done it, especially over December/January and for a lot of his tenure the quality just hasn't been there to be able to do it as much as you'd like. It's laughable trying to use Watford the first time we had lost all season and Atletico which is all on that clown Adrian, like I said confirmation bias.

What season? This one? last one? the year before?

Now the reason why i said you could argue Watford and Atletico. December 19 Liverpool over the most busiest period in the football calendar were playing every 3 days. They had 6 PL games + 3 international games (CL & WCC) + travel to Qatar that month. January they had another 6 PL games up till the Winter break. And that isnt including the Cup games where you played your u10's in. You dont think after a heavy intense schedule wont catch up with sooner or later especially on the results side of things. Everything has a catalyst to it. You can point to Spurs losing to Burnley as the starting point of Poch and the teams decline even if they did get to a CL final that season.

Pickford taking out VVD isn't burnout, or Joe who has extended time out damn near every season (before he'd ever played a game for Klopp) or Joel who just can't stay fit, it isn't the reason why Jota in his first season with us gets injured :comeon: having no cbs and then having to pull Hendo and Fab out of mf so fundamentally changes how we are able to play because not only the defence but also the mf is affected and the knock on effect to the attack, yesterday was the 17th cb pairing we have used this season, it's self inflicted (just not the way you think it is) but that's gonna be too much to overcome for any team in the world eventually, I'm just not hearing it's burnout, don't act like we weren't top at Christmas even with all that, don't act like most people in here didn't think we were running away with it again up until recently :comeon: the injuries and the way it has forced us to change how we play is why we are seeing what we are, Hendo has played in mf 15 times (really 16 but I'm not gonna count Lincoln) we haven't lost a single one of those games, I'm not using it as an excuse because it was foreseeable but it is the reason, nikkas just being wilfully obtuse trying to pretend otherwise. You ignored it last time, be honest and you tell me who in the top half would be forced to use their 2 best midfielders and a 19 yo kid that was on loan in the conference north the season before for the majority of the season and would even be within touching distance let alone still be Top 4 at this point and that's after losing 3 straight and then come tell me it's burnout and fatigue :martin:

Miss me with all that it's not fair talk cause you know you ain't heard that from me once :usure: injuries are what they are, as you say we've been lucky with them in the past, everyone deals with them, part and parcel of the game but again you being disingenuous

lineup-2020-10-15T093922.119.png

That was the team in his first match, Bogdan, Toure, Sinclair, Texiera and Randall were on the bench :mjlol:

I have Hendo, Bobby, Dejan and Danny as the only significant players missing and Danny was hardly available, he inherited a team and squad that was miles away from winning the league or cl. The only Top 4 first xi quality players there are Hendo, Bobby, Danny, Phil and Clyney and all of those bar Danny (who was never fit) I would think are gonna be debatable af (you yourself don't rate Hendo at all :mjpls: I like Nat but I think I'm being generous) to a lot of man and another 5 that are Top 4 squad quality (Dejan, Lucas, Jimmy, Emre and Lallana) and I'm probably being generous again and having red tinted glasses with a couple of these guys. It needed a hell of a lot of surgery, of course the focus needed to be improving the xi at first

Scouse Babble which has nothing to do with what im saying

but I must have missed us buying squad players like Klavan, Taki, Shaq and Tsimikas. Jota wasn't bought to start but to improve the squad and push the front 3 and provide depth, as was bringing in 3 midfielders in 2 seasons.

He has nothing to do with what im on about. He was gone before 18/19 season Summer window closed. Shaqiri missed 11 games thru injury last season out of the 57 games played and barely played after football commenced after lockdown. 7mins out of the 5 games he was on the bench after lockdown. Taki last 9 games of the season post lockdown. He started 2 games left on the bench for another 2 games and came on for 16, 5, 3, 29 and 3 mins in the other 5 games. Thats really rotating the squad when youve already won the league. Tsimikas a player who has about 5 games for you?

A team built to counterattack and hit with quick transitions will sometimes struggle with teams sitting and parking? that's profound :ohhh: and while that is all true and we have in the past, the team and the system has changed and we are a much more possession orientated side now and that hasn't been a problem for the last 2 seasons really until recently and our whole way of playing and system has been altered with our current selection problems
That's any team though man that isn't exclusive to a Klopp team :francis: I don't disagree with that and it's clear that even before this season's fukkry Kloppo's first team was coming to an end and we would be transitioning to his second team.

These were Klopp problems in years 6 and 7 at Dortmund. Surely he should have a gameplan for this no?. I mean after all Dortmund and Liverpool were blitzing parking the bus and countering teams before. Why isnt it working now? Is it the system been found out or could it be something else? Like mental fatigue.

“With the exception of military combat, it has been suggested that team sports such as football [soccer] place more stress on the brain than any other activity,” writes Dr. Andrew Coutts in recent Journal of Sports Sciences article. “Indeed, football players are required to remain vigilant for long periods before and during matches, adhering to tactical strategies, constantly adjusting to changes in the opposition and their teammates.”

Those demanding game situations—in combination with factors like training, sleep and stress—challenge an athlete physically and mentally and lead to the development of fatigue. But while physical fatigue has long been considered a factor in performance, diminishing an athlete’s capacity to react, run faster and jump higher, researchers are beginning to understand that a tired brain can negatively affect performance as much as a tired muscle.

Researchers have suggested that the sensation of fatigue, once considered solely a physical phenomenon, might also arise from the brain. Meaning that the brain is responsible for collecting the physical sensations of the body—the burning legs and heaving lungs—and deciding how much is too much. This research has demonstrated that mental fatigue—produced by sustained periods of demanding cognitive activity, and described by feelings of “tiredness” and “lack of energy”—can reduce the time it takes to reach exhaustion during exercise.

Dr. Samuele Marcora has studied the effects of mental fatigue on soccer performance and discovered that mentally tired athletes don’t perform as well. After inducing mental fatigue with a demanding cognitive test, Marcora and his team of researchers found that the mentally fatigued soccer players couldn’t run as far or kick a ball as skillfully as their mentally-fresh counterparts.

It is important to note that even though the mentally fatigued athletes were performing at an equal level of physical exertion as a control group, those mentally fatigued players perceived the effort as more difficult than those not asked to take a mentally demanding test. Meaning their effort wasn’t physically harder, it just felt harder.

“Physiologically you may be fine but mentally fatigued athletes find the same task much more effortful,” says Marcora.

Similarly, a recent study by Coutts and Dr. Mitchell Smith from the University of Technology Sydney found that mental fatigue impaired the accuracy and speed of soccer-specific decision-making.

But for soccer players, and all team sport athletes, prevention of mental fatigue is more than just avoiding a math exam before activity. While research requires that mental fatigue be artificially produced with a test, mental fatigue can be developed through a variety of natural activities.

Brain training: Inside mental fatigue in sports

Didnt one of your players vs Southampton loses the ball over 30 times in a game? Havent Liverpool struggled to score vs team in the bottom half of the table recently? THey use to smash these teams and now :manny: Your defence and midfield might of changed but your forwards havent. You know the forwards who after playing a World Cup one summer then the next summer have another international tournament where 2 of those players made the final. b2b summers of football and lack of extended rest before coming back to play in the most physically and mentally demanding league all before lockdown happened. Surely their has to be some form of mental drop off at some point going to well too many times. And thats not even getting into the mental aspect of the pandemic and the fallout from that emotionally and mentally since then. And on top of that playing in a condensed calendar both club and country level and having a even shorter season to season break. But yet you Liverpool fans still want to try and go oh our CB's our CB's is why we have failed this year to me. When I havent said anything about your CB's injuries in this whole debate, nor pinned the blame on Klopp for those said injuries. All i have said and maintained that Klopp has a history and his teams look burnt out/fatigued and all of your replies are the same damn thing its the CB's. Have the CB's missing been a problem yes, but it isnt the only problem wrong with your team. Without even getting to the Hedge Fund side of things.

Where we goofed is the inactivity 2 summers ago after winning the CL we should have struck while the iron was hot,

Spurs comparison when they signed no one and look what happened to them the following seasons.