Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
I respect Xhaka's refusal to apologize to the AFTV lot. Man has a lot of pride.

Emery's in a no-win situation.

He didn't apologize to anyone mate.
He said he is sorry if we took offense to him telling every fan in the stadium to fukk off, throwing the armband and shirt (implied) on the floor as disrespect.:francis:

Fukk him and anyone that stands with this lil bullshyt statement. :ufdup:

Tha Gawd Amen

Mamba Mentality
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
He didn't apologize to anyone mate.
He said he is sorry if we took offense to him telling every fan in the stadium to fukk off, throwing the armband and shirt (implied) on the floor as disrespect.:francis:

Fukk him and anyone that stands with this lil bullshyt statement. :ufdup:
He's being abused to an unnecessary extent for something he can't control. The players or Emery made him captain. Emery is the one trotting him out there every week and expecting different results. He should be stripped of his captaincy but to think he's completely unjustified in responding to the abuse hes been taking week in and week out is too far imo.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
This is really clever on Xhaka’s part because he’s changed the narrative to this new being bout fans “abusing” him online so now, even if he does play shyt (which is likely), no one is gonna wanna boo him because they won’t want to be labelled as problematic.

Rashford and Pogba were getting called ******s by online trolls and I didn’t see any public statements from them. In fact, the narrative was “those online trolls don’t represent Man Utd fans” so this should be treated in the same manner and I’m not gonna sit here and feel sorry for Xhaka. In 2019, you can log off social media and not see any of that shyt.

Just waiting to see what Troopz says :pachaha:

Troopz is gonna pivot like he always does :lolbron:

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
:francis:
this might be the cynic in me, but this has 'Xhaka's PR team' written all over it

having said that, the abuse is over the top
:mjtf:wishing cancer on someones kid,come on, what kind of sick/fukked up shyt is that.

:manny:let's just sell him in the next window and move forward. he's not it.

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
This is really clever on Xhaka’s part because he’s changed the narrative to this new being bout fans “abusing” him online so now, even if he does play shyt (which is likely), no one is gonna wanna boo him because they won’t want to be labelled as problematic.

Rashford and Pogba were getting called ******s by online trolls and I didn’t see any public statements from them. In fact, the narrative was “those online trolls don’t represent Man Utd fans” so this should be treated in the same manner and I’m not gonna sit here and feel sorry for Xhaka. In 2019, you can log off social media and not see any of that shyt.

Troopz is gonna pivot like he always does :lolbron:

Yeah it's worked as well, because now every idiot is now talking about how bad his online abuse is, when the two incidents are totally separate issues that have nothing to do with each other :francis:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Can we talk about how Chris Smalling is the best defender in Serie A?
ts07acw.png
And does this mean Koulibally is just a black Metresacker and Chiellini just a David Luiz with male pattern baldness?

Roma has to do the right thing now and sign my boy Welback :wow:

He did a great interview with The Athletic. Excerpt about social media:

Smalling has often been a scapegoat. Criticism has not been short from United fans in recent seasons and the defender is one of many players who have found themselves under the microscope.

“It’s unfair at times,” he says. “There have been times where I’ve played well and yet still you see the same one or two players picked on. It’s tough. I’m mentally strong and I don’t go into my shell, but I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t affect you.”

He notices the vicious criticism from people purporting to be United fans on social media, yet stays engaged in the hope of getting something positive from it.

“Social media can be a dangerous place,” he said. “We have the beauty of being able to share our message or opinions, but people can get too drawn on it. I wasn’t on social media until three or four years ago. I’m quite private I didn’t want to share everything about myself, but I also felt I could use my platform to help some of the things I’m involved in like FBB (Football Beyond Borders), a social education charity which tries to get struggling kids to focus in the classroom. Maybe people can relate to what I’ve been through — growing up without a father or missing out on a trial because we couldn’t get there as there was no car in the family as we couldn’t afford one.”

“My mum felt she was letting us down because she couldn’t get us to trials. I was released from Millwall because I couldn’t get there to train. Good can come from social media as we’ve seen from Raheem (Sterling) who spoke well about racism or Danny Rose about mental health.”

People don’t know Smalling, the person. Or they don’t know the detail. He hasn’t really spoken about his dad, who died when he was five.

“I can’t remember him,” he says. “I have a few pictures and had he died in modern times I would have had a lot more.”

Smalling opens his phone and shows a picture of his dad with his brother. “I look at it and it fuels me,” he says. “Dad had cancer. Lung. Smoker. He died in his early forties. I was lucky to have my brother when we grew up. We could share our problems, even if we weren’t the most open.

“Maybe I wish I was more open when I was younger. Mentioning dad was almost a taboo subject. My brother and I lied in school to pretend dad hadn’t died. We said he’d moved away. Mum was trying to shield us so it wasn’t discussed.”

Smalling’s first years were spent in Greenwich, but when dad his passed away, the three moved to Chatham and a council estate in the working-class Medway town.

“Mum had family there,” he explains. “She didn’t marry again. She raised us two. My brother and I wanted mum to be more sociable, to meet other people and live a little bit. She did have one friend, but we always came first to her. She sacrificed her life seeing us both through to 18 and finishing our A levels with good results. Mum pushed and encouraged us. She would be the one on the doorstep before it was even dark shouting ‘Christopher! Jason!’ because she wanted us in to do our homework. It was so annoying and a bit embarrassing.”

Theresa Smalling instilled punctuality, the importance of homework, and humility, it seems. “My brother did even better because he’s a bit smarter than me,” adds Smalling. “He got two As and a B. I had school teachers like Mr Emilino helping me too. He put me forward for trials and drove me to them — which got me into Millwall.”

Smalling was six weeks away from going to university while also working, riding his bike to a nearby hotel where he was initially a kitchen porter, before graduating to waiter. But this childhood Arsenal fan, who’d idolised Ian Wright, played for Millwall and joined another London club, Fulham, instead. It went so well that Arsenal wanted to sign him.

“In my head, I was going to Arsenal. Then Manchester United got in touch. I was leaving the team bus at Blackburn away and [Fulham boss] Roy Hodgson said: ‘we’ve accepted a bid from Man United’. That threw me. I felt there were more opportunities to play at Arsenal, but I spoke to Fergie and he said: ‘I wouldn’t sign you if I didn’t think you could play games.’ Maybe his aura felt right, but I made the right decision because I was soon playing alongside great players and winning the league.”

Smalling sits in the boardroom of the Trigoria training ground under an AS Roma badge. It’s where he signed his one-year loan deal two months previously. Pictures of the players sit above their lockers, there are more Roma logos on display than in the club shop at a training facility which has been updated with new pools and gyms. It’s also a place where supporters have made him feel welcome.

“The fans are crazy here, the stadium is very noisy, especially the ultras. People come up to me in the street and say “Forza Roma” all the time. Someone came to the training ground and presented me with a picture they’d drawn of my son Leo. You feel the love and that makes you more confident.”