Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
what are they doing differently? im a casual

18 team league. 34 games vs 38 in the other 4 leagues.

1 cup competition that starts in August finishes in May but is only 6 rounds to win it. No replays or legs format, just 1 game to get to the next round.

4-6 week winter break, obviously they play mid season friendlies in this window, but makes sense for fitness purposes. Also has its cons being so long, but you can find pros and cons in everything.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Problem is if season is shortened or pushed back it would only mean longer pre-season tours.

It would allow clubs to hit up China and US in the same summer :beli:

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
The problem with English football, is that it is handicapped by tradition from a bygone era.

The league cup, with so many teams playing in Europe now, they can either have not them enter or my personal choice is scrap the competition altogether. And put league fixtures in their place, thus freeing up space to get a winter break in at some point.

Xmas fixtures, they never get the spacing of the games right, some teams play 4 times in 7-8 days, some get 10-12 days over this period. They will never scrap this set of games, but they sure can make sure they schedule it properly.

FA Cup is played at the weekend, when every other cup competition is played thru the week. They finally decided to scrap replays after the 5th round, while not scrap replays altogether? Even more chances of cup upsets, with pens involved.

Too many phucking teams. No other country/sport that I know of and trust me I watch a lot of phucking various sports, has 92 professional teams. well 91 :rip: Bury (don't ask me how :skip: ) Half these teams are running at a loss and a handful could end up like Bury and Bolton situations if they have a bad couple of months.
Feel sorry for those teams in League 1 & 2 :picard:

Have to play in the EFL trophy, early rounds of the EFL and FA Cup..then the league fixtures...

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Feel sorry for those teams in League 1 & 2 :picard:

Have to play in the EFL trophy, early rounds of the EFL and FA Cup..then the league fixtures...

Portsmouth played 62 games last season. (46 league + 2 playoff semi, 8 EFL Trophy, 5 FA Cup and 1 League Cup games) And IIRC, League 1 and 2 teams don't gets games postponed due to international break, if they get call ups)

Could of been more if they made the play off final (lost in the semis) and did better in the League Cup.