Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

concise

Veteran
Daps
the end of that América v Tigres shootout ... :whew: if anyone has a realistic shot of playing league games in the States, it's LMX.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Liga MX season starts on Friday? :picard: It hasn't even been 2 months since the last season ended. They don't care about player fatigue down there at all.

And Copa America and the Gold Cup literally just ended a week ago, so many players in the league were in both tournaments. wtf :dead:
Mexico like a few latin countries have the Apertura and Clasura format(Opening and Closure)..

Mexico is July-December then January-May

But if you look..most european leagues take a few weeks off in the winter anyway.

I think it was started mostly for weather reasons but mainly it's money.

It's 18 matches each tournament so every match counts..more attendance,excitement= more money.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Liga MX season starts on Friday? :picard: It hasn't even been 2 months since the last season ended. They don't care about player fatigue down there at all.

And Copa America and the Gold Cup literally just ended a week ago, so many players in the league were in both tournaments. wtf :dead:

That’s how most Central/South American countries operate. The Brasileirão resumed play last week after the Copa America. And the players only get a few weeks off at the end of the season before the state tournaments begin and then they roll into the start of the new season.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
That’s how most Central/South American countries operate. The Brasileirão resumed play last week after the Copa America. And the players only get a few weeks off at the end of the season before the state tournaments begin and then they roll into the start of the new season.
How much does the general public care about state tournaments? And how well supported are the lower level state clubs?

concise

Veteran
Daps
Mexico like a few latin countries have the Apertura and Clasura format(Opening and Closure)..

Mexico is July-December then January-May

But if you look..most european leagues take a few weeks off in the winter anyway.

I think it was started mostly for weather reasons but mainly it's money.

It's 18 matches each tournament so every match counts..more attendance,excitement= more money.

I already knew about the split seasons as I been following the league with varying degrees of interest over the years, just hit me as to how how fast their turnaround is. I could have sworn they started the Apertura in August back in the days.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
How much does the general public care about state tournaments? And how well supported are the lower level state clubs?

It’s huge for the smaller clubs and their fans, because it’s one of the few chances they get to win something significant and play against the best. The bigger clubs kind of see it as an afterthought in comparison to winning the league or the Libertadores. A lot of them use it as an opportunity to play the young guys and experiment with new things, but it’s still something worth bragging about if you win it.

I can only speak for the Paulista, but the lower level clubs typically tend to have the craziest fans even though there might not be that many of them.