Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Sooner or later in a penalty shootout a keeper is gonna get a second yellow for stepping 5 inches in front of the line. :snoop:

What a galactically stupid rule. BTW there's gonna be VAR in AFCON so the fukkery has only just begun.

I can't stand the over reliance on VAR by refs, along with the micro-reffing that is taking place through VAR. That's really my issue with it.

During the Uruguay game (I think) a player was offside by a mile and the ref still had to pause the game momentarily to listen to his headset and confirm the offside. Meanwhile the linesman never bothered to put up his flag, clearly thinking, "oh well if I don't make the call VAR will back me up" ... its the same shyt going on in baseball. Umpires half-ass a call knowing VAR will save them.

And that call against the Nigeria keeper the other day was criminal. I understand the rule of making sure the keeper stays on his line, but lets keep it 100, for decades keepers have always come off the line during penalties, the same way players run into the box before the penalty is taken. This is opening up pandoras box. Wait until it happens in a big match and people start yelling corruption.

Scurry was off the line before the ball was kicked. :skip:

That's my humble opinion, don't @ me with nonsense :birdman:

They need to figure out what VAR absolutely is needed for. I would use it for dangerous fouls the ref didn't see (elbow to head, cheap shots, etc.) and if a PK is a PK or is it a dive (but not if there was a handball in the area). I don't need a center ref looking at all the ticky tacky things. Also they're wasting too much time and they're definitely not making that time up in extra time.

Hell, watch any bad team beat a good team in a good league, they're so much time wasting and the ref never gives the full amount. The ref will give 5 - 6 minutes max rather than the 8-10 minutes that the bad team has wasted.

I can't wait for a Drogba style outburst at the end of a EPL game because of VAR fukkery:
B4OT6JF.gif

No VAR for keeper encroachment at penalties in Premier League

TheFryingDutchman

Grad School is killing me:damn:
Daps
Ref was waiting for the restart tho, then called the game. :mjlol:
I never seen anything like that before breh. There was a player who got carted off because she got hurt during the celebration and another player looked like she passed out because someone was fanning her with a towel:russ:

Ref was standing around like:beli: I'm done with y'all, game over

World cup finally starts today for America:blessed:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Nah. Aside from Mexico, concacaf is trash and would get embarassed.

Can you get 32 nations in there? Make it as big as the Euro Cup

Facts

One large cup would be more prestigious than one won every year by either Mexico or the US.

Look at the Euros finals. Has alsmost as many teams as the WC

Also only 10 members in the Copa America

They need to join that shyt

CONCACAF has 41 members, CONMEBOL has 10. You could get a proper 16 team tournament with a combined tournament. If CONCACAF is really trash, then you should in theory get all 10 of CONMEBOL nations qualify, with 6 spots left for CONCACAF to take. US and Mexico will def take two, then 4 left for everyone else :yeshrug:

The 'Copa Super America' qualifiers would be better practice for the Trinidads and Haitis of the footballing world than the Gold Cup.

I think the Copa America 2016 Centenario is a good blueprint for how the eventual tournament should be run. I'd also argue there'd be more interest in the US if people knew the USMNT was going up against the Brazils and Argentina's of the world. More TV revenue for CONCACAF and COMNEBOL to split.

The US should really champion this merge. They get nothing out of the Gold Cup. The tournament is really just trading hands between Mexico and USA. Copa Super America would actually test their national team development.