Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
The USWNT commentary is always funny. People just skip the fact that College football subsidized the sport which is why the US had such a head start over everybody else with few exceptions.

Explain the bolded please :ohhh:....?

USWNT 13 - Thailand 0
Germany 8 - Estonia 0
France 4 - Andorra 0

Man I got some highlights to catch up on

But to be honest, I always see the biggest blowouts in women's sports. I mean in NCAA Women's basket ball it's not uncommon to see the 1st seed beat the 2nd or 3rd seed by 40-50 pts. The gulf in ability is mindblowing.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I mean the chances were there off routine play, what else are they supposed to do? Switch kick for 28 minutes?

Daps
Explain the bolded please :ohhh:....?

USWNT 13 - Thailand 0
Germany 8 - Estonia 0
France 4 - Andorra 0

Man I got some highlights to catch up on

But to be honest, I always see the biggest blowouts in women's sports. I mean in NCAA Women's basket ball it's not uncommon to see the 1st seed beat the 2nd or 3rd seed by 40-50 pts. The gulf in ability is mindblowing.

You ever heard of Title IX?

Title IX - Wikipedia

It's a law that passed to enforce gender equality in offering sports opportunities to men and women. If a school offers a men's sport, they have to offer a women's version.

Men's bb and American football make the most money in college sports, so the profits from those sports are used to fund the other sports, including the women's versions of those sports. So you see a rise in women playing soccer for scholarship opportunities after that law comes about. Gave us a huge head start.

Last edited:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
You ever heard of Title IX?

Title IX - Wikipedia

It's a law that passed to enforce gender equality in offering sports opportunities to men and women. If a school offers a men's sport, they have to offer a women's version.

Men's bb and American football make the most money in college sports, so the profits from those sports are used to fund the other sports, including the women's versions of those sports. So you see a rise in women playing soccer for scholarship opportunities after that law comes about. Gave us a huge head start.
What he said. It’s not a diss to the US but people should understand the full context.