get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

HBCUs at a Crossroads: Addressing the Decline in Black Male Enrollment​

Aug 22, 2024
DJ Windsor, Richard Reeves

A historically black college or university campus (HBCU)

Summary​

Black men account for only 26% of the students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), down from 38% in 1976. In fact, there are fewer Black men enrolled at HBCUs today than in 1976. HBCUs have long served as valuable institutions for Black students, offering a unique environment that fosters academic achievement, mental well-being, and economic mobility.
More non-Black students offset these declines, but the reduced presence of Black men means fewer are benefiting from the supportive environments that HBCUs provide to help students succeed during and after college

As many non-Black students as Black male students at HBCUs​

The enrollment of Black men and Black women at HBCUs has declined since 2010, but there has been a steady increase in the enrollment of non-Black students. This is not by accident. It is one of several responses by HBCUs to address Black enrollment declines and funding challenges.

images

Figure 2

The share of non-Black students at HBCUs has increased to 24%, compared to 15% in 1976. Since 2010, there have been significant increases in the share of Hispanic and Multi-racial students while the share of white students has slightly decreased and the share of Asian students has remained steady. Part of this increase may be due to changing practices around racial identification, for example the general increase in multiracial identities. However, the increase in the share of non-Black students at HBCUs has not resulted in a decline in the share of Black women on campus, who continue to account for around half the student body. Instead, the share of Black men at HBCUs has dropped sharply to 26%, down from 31% in 2005 and 38% in 1976. The share of non-Black students (25%) now matches that of Black men (26%).

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
So I dont think there is a huge conspiracy to demote black males like some other posters recently talked about in the other thread on this topic, but I do have some questions

1. Has black male enrollment increased in other areas? Mainly the military and trade jobs.

2. Are black males truly not interested in college or are they not academically qualified?

3. What are they interested in? What is the average young mans aspirations?

Probably not the place to get all these answers but if we want the whole picture I thinks its a place to start.

From what I hear in pop culture, there is a lot of talk of college being a scam and most young people wanting to be influencers/streamers/youtubers now. Do black men identify with these messages more than women because I feel both groups are receiving them but there seems to still be different outcomes.