The Mask (Jim Carrey)

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
So I rewatched The Mask for the first time in something like 10 years and I gotta say I was shocked how little I laughed. I remembered it as really funny movie.

The scenes with Jim Carrey as The Mask are still good and hold up, for the most part, but a big part of the movie is him not with the mask and almost all of the those scenes are terrible. Jim Carrey (Stanley) at this point can't handle drama acting wise in his career and Diaz (Tina) is making her film debut so that does not help things. Oscar nominated director Peter Riegert (Lt. Kellaway) stands out as the best actor. The Peggy character is underused. She clearly likes Stanley but at the halfway point she sells him out to the mob because her rent is high, I think, and never appears after that. I read on wiki she was killed in a deleted scene. Maybe it was a strange joke because in most movies the guy can't see the "ugly duckling" and likeable girl thats right in front of him because he's too busy trying to get the hot girl but figures it out in the end and starts dating the likeable girl so here they have the "ugly duckling" betray the guy and the guy ends up with the hot girl. Thats the only reason I can think of and its big setup/misdirect for a small payoff.

I feel the in world logic is all over the place. The Mask gets stopped by some street criminals and they comment on his strange look, the green face, but when The Mask goes to a high-end nightclub nobody looks at him and its like he's a normal dude. The cops have him on tape robbing the bank and its shows him basically having superpowers but the cops are like "whatever, we'll catch him" and after they suspect Stanley of being The Mask only two cops are sent to arrest him. This is also after the rape. Oh yeah, there is a rape scene.

The most fukked up scene is when The Mask rapes two car mechanics with exhaust pipes because they overcharge Stanley for repairs. I know the comic gets pretty dark but I'm only taking about the movie and the tone of it. I think its how its shot that bothers me then the rape itself (what a strange thing to write). The Mask breaks down the door with the pipes and is shown kinda like a silhouette and the dudes are shown almost shyting them with fear before a smash cut to black. Its by far the darkest scene in the movie. You could do that scene in a less dark way.

Dorian (Peter Greene), the bad guy, is a really weak villain. Dorian is a henchman of biggest crime lord in the city and Dorian runs a club for him. When Dorian is caught selling drugs in the club the boss gives him one week to get out of town. He fukked up and was given a chance to save himself from death and was gonna flee the city until he got the mask. Weeeeeak.

When Dorian has the mask on he uses its power, I think, once but besides that he makes his goons do everything he could do in 1 sec. He doesn't need goons! But the most shocking part is how cheap everything looks beside the mask CGI and its clear the biggest part of the budget went into that part of the film. Its also clear, and funny in a strange way, when they are cutting the CGI cost because Stanley hops behind a couch or a bar or something often when he puts on the mask. The sets are mostly awful, might be the cheapest looking jail I've seen in a big movie.

So, what says the Film Room, has anybody here seen The Mask recently?

The cartoon is still great tho.

Last edited:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Rewrote my OP, it deserved more details.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
I remember it but things like the rape scene didn't click as "a rape scene." trife shyt now that i think about it

Was a classic to me as a kid the way Ninja turtles 2 was :pachaha:

The in-world logic thing doesn't bother me as much...

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
i remember when this came out they had an episode of Martin where they had them eye ball popping cartoon effects they used in the movie :russ:

i think it was the episode when Pam had a twin sister that was in a mental institution :mjlol:

but yeah, I cant really get with the Jim Carrey joints now
like the above post said maybe Liar Liar and that it