The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

Ronald

Daps
Lighting kills you instantly.
You can throw metal weapons at enemies which will attract the lightning.
Random avalanche snowballs can kill enemies too.
You can pick up an explosive barrell with stasis, hit it several times, send it to an enemy and let stasis go so the barrel can kill them.

- killing a wild animal in the snow gives you frozen meat
- fire arrows don't work in the rain

:ohlawd: so many nice little details in this game

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
But how the hell are you gonna know where to find Ganon on your first go in a world this big? I think there will be a lot of Youtubers and speed runners trying to figure that out as fast as possible for their precious clicks but if you're a regular gamer playing without a walkthrough I doubt you'll just walk into Ganon's lair within an hour like :why:
that swirling black cloud in the sky above death mountain is ganon nikka are yall blind :gucci:

-always have an empty bottle for storing fairies
-take your time in temples and explore every room
i dont think there's fairies this time since there's all this food now and i know i havent seen any gameplay with link collecting any

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
that swirling black cloud in the sky above death mountain is ganon nikka are yall blind :gucci:

i dont think there's fairies this time since there's all this food now and i know i havent seen any gameplay with link collecting any
I'm pretty sure it's not a straight path right to him.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When I first saw footage of this game years ago I instantly thought, "Hmm looks like Monolith Soft is working on this game". They're the perfect company to help Nintendo make an open world game.

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
I'm pretty sure it's not a straight path right to him.
he said "how are we gonna know where to find gannon"

...gannon is right there atop death mountain soon as u come out the cave...

he didnt say "how are u gonna get to ganon to fight him"

:gucci:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps

Pictured: concept art for the dungeon we played.

One of the highlights of our time with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for our cover story was the opportunity to play through one of the game’s dungeons. The world is full of more than 100 shrines, which Nintendo has shown in detail during many of its Treehouse live streams, but those are different than dungeons. The shrines are small, offering a few puzzles, usually in one large room. The dungeon we played is more in line with what we have come to expect from a traditional Zelda dungeon – a large area with a series of interconnected rooms and puzzles followed by a boss.

SHRINE_5F00_610.jpg

A shrine entrance, seen from the outside.

Below, you will find some of our discoveries from our time in the dungeon, whose location in the world and surrounding story remains a mystery. It’s not guaranteed that all of these elements will appear in all of the game’s dungeons, but these are some of the elements and mechanics we saw when we played.

The map is different
Dungeon maps in the Legend of Zelda haven’t changed much over the years. You swap between floors, locked doors are identified, and you can usually see where the boss is located early in your exploration. In Breath of the Wild, the dungeon map appeared as a 3D model. Specific locations you need to pursue are marked, but we couldn’t see the floor-by-floor layout we’ve come to expect.

There is no compass
The compass, an item that shows assorted chests and secrets in a dungeon, was nowhere to be found. We asked Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma about this and he said, “Dungeons have always been like mazes, so we needed that compass to let the user know where the bosses were placed. But then, as you probably saw, you can kind of see the goal right away. You won’t get lost – you just have to figure out how to get there.” Aonuma’s quote ties into another aspect, which is that…

botwdungeon_5F00_610b.jpg

Link uses the Sheikah Slate to activate a Sheikah Tower in the open Hyrule.

The dungeons are smaller and less labyrinthine
As a point of comparison, I have been playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, which has some of the largest dungeons in the series. The dungeon I played in Breath of the Wild was smaller overall. That’s not to say it was shallow or easy – there were just fewer avenues for getting lost.

You may not be alone
Nintendo would not tell us whose voice we were hearing, but there was definitely a friendly voice guiding us through the dungeon. He offered general hints and told us to be careful of the boss. We never heard his voice outside of the dungeon, however, so it does not seem to be a consistent companion.

You won't find a singular, dungeon-focused item
In the past, dungeons have typically been designed around a singular item. Doors block your progress until you find, say, the hookshot. In our playthrough of Breath of the Wild, we did not find any new items. I had everything I needed to complete the dungeon when I walked in. Which leads us to another point…

The boss won't be based around a singular dungeon-focused item
Since we didn’t find an item specific to that dungeon, we only had the weapons we came in with to use against the boss.

SHRINE_5F00_610A.jpg

An example of a Shrine, which has a noticeably different color aesthetic from the dungeon.

You need to prepare
While fighting the dungeon’s boss, I ran out of arrows. I was still able to defeat it using a combination of bombs and my sword, but it made one thing clear – when you find a dungeon, you need to make sure you have everything you need, and lots of it, before going inside.

Malice
This is an aspect that might not be in every dungeon, but throughout the one we played were pockets of a poisonous, sentient liquid that hurt to touch. This substance was called malice. Little eyeballs would sprout from these patches of malice, but attacking the eyeball would clear away the malice and sometimes constituted a small puzzle.

Crystal switches
The diamond-shaped switches that can be activated with an attack were present in our dungeon. Similar to past titles, they responded to sword swipes, arrows, and bombs.

Link had some control over the dungeon
This falls in line with malice, in the sense that we don’t know if it will be an aspect of every dungeon, but after activating a switch with his Sheikah Slate, Link was able to control the dungeon slightly. When looking at the map, he could tilt the dungeon in order to open new paths or to make blocks and switches slide around.

Everything We Know About The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild’s Dungeons

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
自由な行動と受け止めるフィールドが生む“掛け算の遊び”。『ゼルダの伝説 ブレス オブ ザ ワイルド』開発者インタビュー【Nintendo Switchインタビュー特集】 - ファミ通.com

● "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" director Mr. Fujibayashi Hideyuro(F)

⊙In the recently released video(the 3rd trailer), Stronger story elements could be found.how will the story go in the game this time?

F: That's the special part this time. It's incompatible to have a heavy story within an "open air" game, in which adventures take place on vast field. Naturally it was the main concern in the beginning of the development. In order to overcome it, our team made a unique system this time. I can't tell you much about it now. But it will be something worth expecting. In the beginning of the game, you will be able to know what I am talking about. So please wait and see how the story elements are put in an open air game.

⊙We expect it very much. By the way, is there any short term mission such as "quest" in the game?

F: Yes. We call them "challenges", which can be found everywhere. Sometimes players would like to follow the main line but the game is so open that they don't know what to do next. These challenges would imply players how to continue the story. So it doesn't matter you are beginner or fast runner who can't wait to know the whole story, you can enjoy the essence of the game if you just follow those challenges, even if some of them guide you to places where appear to be meaningless.

⊙ Like you said before, it's not impossible to fight the final boss in the beginning of the game?

F: Yes. As soon as gliding down from the plateau, you can head for the final boss. It's our insistence in the beginning of development that players must be able to do it in this game. This mechanism was decided even before the structure of this game. It's also the result of reviewing everything we took for granted.

⊙ In the trailer, villages are found in the game. Is that mean there are stores for shopping?

F: Yes, there are stores for shopping. You can find lots of messages in all the 3 trailers, including those videos released in other countries. We will be very happy if people created many theories after watching those videos before the game was released.

⊙ It's true that after watching them, people would be amazed that "what appears there is actually that thing we knew before!" or "I can do that for real?"

F: That's right. Basically you can do almost everything you can imagine. Also it's the joy that you might think " this is exactly what I thought!" after playing this game.

⊙You mean if we watch those videos again and again, we might discover something new.

F: Sure. please watch them carefully.

⊙Ok. now we all knew that you might get hurt by the low temperature on the snow peak. In Ruriko Aoki's gameplay, we saw she climbed the snow peak naked. What if someone wants to climb the snow peak naked, how can he do it?

F: We talked about that when engage a mountain you can choose to climb over it or bypass it and if you choose to climb over it, there must be places for resting. But when it comes to the low temperature, we can consider how cave men used to deal with it. The first thing that came to you mind could be fire, maybe a torch, or clothing. However if you grabbed a torch, you might not be able to use weapons. So what is the best way... This is the core of the game. You can experience the multiplication of playing as soon as starting to play this game. And along with the expanding of the game, it becomes more and more various. It's the fun of the game.

⊙Also in Ruriko Aoki's gameplay, there was a scene that a bokoblin tried to hunt a wild hog. Is there so called ecosystems in BoTW world?

F: I mentioned there's villages before. It means there are humans as well as monsters(enemies). Also there is third kind of force in the game, the animals. That means you might be attacked by animals, or in some cases the enemies attack the animals as we saw in Ruriko Aoki's gameplay. You could consider it as part of their lives. Sometimes it's very fun to do nothing but peek their interactions far from them.

⊙It means you can beat the enemies or steal their weapons while they are dealing with the animals?

F: Yes. Besides, they get angry while you pick up their weapons.

⊙Many reactions can be seen. Speaking of monsters, while walking around on the field, I met a boss-like monster made of rocks. Does this kind of enemies exist all over the world?

F: There are regular monsters and those mimicking to other forms. The situations how you engage them are different. And I think the moments engaging each enemies would likely differ from players.

⊙Did you mean the enemies you meet might have nothing to do with your current purpose.

F: Yes. You might meet them all of sudden.

⊙It sounds terrible. By the way, the word "100 years ago" was mentioned in the story. Did something happen 100 years ago?

F: It's keyword related to the story.

⊙ The Sheikah tribe which appeared in Oot are out there this time, as well as the Sheikah Eye symbol.

F: Sheikah tribe is also a keyword. The inherited symbols are useful in a lot of places and closely connect the main story. Those elements including "100 years" in the newest trailer play important roles in the game.

⊙We can see Zelda in the trailer not only in white clothing but the blue tunic, which is similar to Link in certain scene. Also there are characters like Gorons, Zoras, and Ritos. It is very exciting to the fans of Zelda series.

F: Thank you. The blue tunic Zelda wore actually means many things. The tribes we have seen take part in the game, however as friends or foes? Please use your imagination.

⊙So they might possibly be enemies and maybe we have to defeat them! There's lots of space for imagination. Another question. This game was released both on Switch and WiiU. Is there any difference between the 2 versions?

F: The Switch version is better in image quality because the software is different. But the experiences of both versions are the same. So to anyone who can't decide which version to choose, just pick the console you like.

⊙So as for the WiiU version, there is no specific development for the gamepad control?

F: Since we'll release the game on both consoles at the same time and we decided to maintain the same gameplay experience, we didn't do any adjustment to the Wii U gamepad.

⊙So as you said, there will only be difference in image qualities?

F: Also, with the better digital audio on the Switch version the audio performance will be more excellent compared to the Wii U version. Especially when putting on the earphones, the presence of sound would be very good. To those customers who choose the Switch version, please play it with the earphones. It will be more fun. Besides, you can take out the game with you. It is what you can do only with the Switch.

⊙Speaking of audio performance. There seems to be a lot of piano plays. You can hear some environmental sound from the background when you're on the field.

F: We thought about what kind of background music is suitable for this open air game. In the end we chose those which can create the feeling of immersion. There will only be environmental sound in normal circumstances. When something is going on, it turns into exciting music. Also when you trigger the tricks on the field, there will also be sound effects. If everyone enjoys it, our work would be worth.

⊙The amiibos which could be used in the game, like Zelda and bokoblin, were released on E3 last year. In addition to the 30 anniversary ones, there are many other amiibos corresponding to this game. Do they have different functions?

F: Yes. Of course you can play the game without them. They just add more funs in the adventure. We will explain it later on. Please wait and see.

⊙The logo of this game, which was also released on E3 last year, returned to those in the early series before Ocarina of time. Did it mean you wanted to create the impression of " back to where it began"?

⊙As to this, in the discussion of development we mentioned that after so many years we had been adopted the English logo, it's time to go back to the traditional Japanese logo in the early series. "Back to the beginning" has a symbolic meaning to "reviewing everything we took for granted in LoZ".

⊙Indeed, when I saw this logo I was like "WOW!"

F: To those who never played any Zelda game or thought they were not suitable for the game, we want to make them think it's different and easier to master it this time.

⊙In the end, what would you like to say to players expecting this game?

F: As a one of Zelda series, this game was added many other elements. For instance, Link's actions are still familiar to us, but it would be a whole new experience when they're shown on the field we carefully designed. This time you won't face very difficult puzzles. However you will be considering how you should do in real life to the puzzles. There will be 10 different ways to do it when 10 different people play it.Within so many solutions, you only need to solve them by your own means at the same time explore more possibilities. This is what BoTW are about this time. We hope you enjoy the joy of multiplication of playing, which has never been made so far and the modified gameplay after reviewing everything we took for granted.

Last edited: