The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
The Divine Beast boss fights are laughably easy. The water, wind, and fire(especially this one) were all a joke. Heard the Thunder one is a massive step up in comp though. :lupe:

Lynels have been the hardest enemies so far and even then I beat them relatively easily now.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
The Divine Beast boss fights are laughably easy. The water, wind, and fire(especially this one) were all a joke. Heard the Thunder one is a massive step up in comp though. :lupe:

Lynels have been the hardest enemies so far and even then I beat them relatively easily now.
Yes, and that's unfortunate. It's not a good climax to dungeons that all start with very intense set pieces just to board the machine, and continue with stimulating puzzles you can toy with.

I love the approach they took with open dungeons with structures you can play with, it fits the theme of the game very well in that you have to think about how to get to areas beyond collecting a key and opening a door in the pre-designated way. I wish they went even more in that direction, but I guess that's unlikely given that a lot of fans want back to traditional linear architectures.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Yes, and that's unfortunate. It's not a good climax to dungeons that all start with very intense set pieces just to board the machine, and continue with stimulating puzzles you can toy with.

I love the approach they took with open dungeons with structures you can play with, it fits the theme of the game very well in that you have to think about how to get to areas beyond collecting a key and opening a door in the pre-designated way. I wish they went even more in that direction, but I guess that's unlikely given that a lot of fans want back to traditional linear architectures.

I like how they set up Hyrule Castle. That is how they should make the dungeon areas. These divine beasts have all been underwhelming.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I like how they set up Hyrule Castle. That is how they should make the dungeon areas. These divine beasts have all been underwhelming.
I saw some complaints about being able to skip pretty much all the castle to get to the boss, so I unfortunately don't see this type of open dungeon come back again.

Being able to enter it via many different ways and make your way through it as you wish was dope to me.

The problem I had with the Divine Beasts was more about the absence of combat. The monsters they set up in there were lame. There were no mini-bosses.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I saw some complaints about being able to skip pretty much all the castle to get to the boss, so I unfortunately don't see this type of open dungeon come back again.

Being able to enter it via many different ways and make your way through it as you wish was dope to me.

The problem I had with the Divine Beasts was more about the absence of combat. The monsters they set up in there were lame. There were no mini-bosses.

That's my gripe with the Divine Beasts. They all felt like drawn out shrines instead of dungeons, and the bosses for them are a joke.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition

Lol, what? BOTW's decision to abandon linear structure received universal praise from critics AND fans.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I just wanna see the triforce be a part of the story again
Maybe we see that in the sequel. It made a lot of sense for the Triforce to not even be MENTIONED in BOTW. We're at the "end of history" in Hyrule. Tales of powers like the Triforce fading from history makes a ton of sense.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Lol, what? BOTW's decision to abandon linear structure received universal praise from critics AND fans.
Not when it comes to dungeons, which are the structures I was referring to.

Many fans deplored the absence of traditional dungeons and thought Divine Beasts did not do a great job replacing them.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not when it comes to dungeons, which are the structures I was referring to.

Many fans deplored the absence of traditional dungeons and thought Divine Beasts did not do a great job replacing them.
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I would agree with that. I think it's also a scale thing..despite being large, it felt the like the beasts lacked scale. They were basically just super shrines.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I gave this game a second chance and played it with a different mindset. I just explored and did shyt and I realize why people like this game so much. It is a 100% fukkery game. If you want to go somewhere there is a way to get there, if you want to kill something there is a way to do it(still haven't figured out how or if I can kill dragons though). The game is all about just playing the game. Literally that is all you have tk do is do whatever you want and you will always make some sort of progress. While my complaints still stand, those complaints come from the mindset of a Zelda fan.

This game is not anything like any other Zelda game. I actually went and fought Ganon as soon as I left the great plateau. He whooped my ass but it was brilliant that I could literally go beat the game as soon as I beat the tutorial phase of the game. That level of freedom has never been in the franchise. The different ways you can use your Sheikah slate to interact with the world is incredible. Hitting stasis on a bomb barrel and sending it flying into a group is always satisfying. Dropping bombs from my paraglider is something I don't even know if I could live without in a Zelda game anymore. I love bombing the shyt out of camps. The art style is gorgeous and is more important than raw graphical power. From a technical standpoint this is easily one of the finest games I have ever played, especially with how fair and balanced the gameplay is given the variety of different ways you can approach just about any given situation.

I do feel like the divine beasts are underwhelming. All four of them should have been like Hyrule castle. Multi tiered areas with numerous things to do. The divine beasts in their current state is basically just an extended shrine. Hyrule castle is brilliant in it's design and execution.

Also the weapon degredation system, while I have learned how to work around it, I still feel like it could be implemented better. Maybe like Dying Light style where you can use raw materials you find(since they are everywhere) to repair them a certain amount of times(Dying Light is another incredible game you should try if you haven't, it's like 7 years old and still has like 250k+ online players everyday. shyt is a somewhat slept on gem.). There is no logical reason why they have an excellent cooking system and no crafting system. From a logic standpoint to me it just doesn't make sense.

As far as this being a game, I give it a 9 out of 10. Excellent and well technically crafted game that is immersive and once you figure it out somewhat addicting. I hope Nintendo adds co-op to part 2. The fukkery you could get with two Links would be legendary.

As far as being a STRICTLY A ZELDA game, it is a 6/10. Not the worst, but definitely not the best game that has that CLASSIC ZELDA FEEL to it(that goes to IMO aLTTP, OoT, and WW in no particular order). Hyrule Castle was the only place I felt like I was in a DUNGEON. The thing is Hyrule Castle is fukking great. I crave for more of it. The depth of it reminds me of a FromSoft level in a Souls game. The story is also presented in a very poor way. I'm sorry, but Nintendo will need to be a lot less lazy about the side quests. This is the perfect game to tell the entire lore and history of the world through side quests. Every side quests should have true meaning, even if it isn't related to the main story. Some of this is just lazy on their parts IMO. I don't care about the story of this game, but I actually want to. I think through BoTW I'm realizing why FFXII is so polarizing. FFXII tried a lot of the things with a pure JRPG that BoTW is trying to do with an action platformer with adventure and puzzle elements mixed into it. FFXII gave you more freedom than you ever had in a FF game. There was so many sidequests, equipment/items to get fetch, and creatures to fight, and they would give you access to a large amount of it at a time and the story which is actually one of the better FF stories, that shyt was GoT before it got big. Me and @Gizmo_Duck both have it top 3 FF's and we aren't the only ones. This game does the exact same thing except FFXII still was wide linear eventually you would run out of shyt to do unless you beat the game. This game is completely open fron the beginning and no other Zelda game has done that before. You literally can make beating the final boss the very last thing to do with no barriers to it, or it can be the very first thing you do. The freedom this game gives me is refreshing, to do whatever I want whenever I want is something that is missing in video games now a days where they try to tell movies through games or restrict your progress behind paywalls and MTX bullshyt, or like Destiny where they cap how much you fan farm per week to artificially lengthen the game. I love this game, it's went from being boring of the wild to BRUUUUUHHHHH of the wild to me.

Jim Cornette

The Cult of Meat with Extra Cheese...
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Bout 10hrs deep and I'm just about over this fukking game ...

Underpowered as hell, literally can't kill anything when I've only got 4 hearts. Takes 1 hit to fukking kill me.

Climbing fukking annoying as hell, climb for 5 seconds and half my stamina gone...

Running so fukking annoying when you run outta stamina in 5 seconds. Pretty much every horse I try get on top of just bucks me off smhh..

Just so frustrated with the fukking game.. started off fun, but dying every two seconds is pissing me off

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Underpowered as hell, literally can't kill anything when I've only got 4 hearts. Takes 1 hit to fukking kill me.

Climbing fukking annoying as hell, climb for 5 seconds and half my stamina gone...

Running so fukking annoying when you run outta stamina in 5 seconds. Pretty much every horse I try get on top of just bucks me off smhh..

Just so frustrated with the fukking game.. started off fun, but dying every two seconds is pissing me off

The game starts hard (honestly the best part of the game) once you upgrade your armor and stamina it gets a lot easier and less thrilling (imo) but still really fun

Daps
Reppin
809 & 347

Is this you right now? :lolbron:

Bruh i died like 30 times within the first 15 minutes of the game. Botw's link is the weakest link...