The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
How can anyone say Mario Odyssey is better than this? This is an open world game teeming with content. Mario Odyssey is a 5 hour platformer. shyt doesn't compare
several reasons:

1. the empty space in between content bothers them. valid reason though. most likely due to trying to make the release date deadline.

2. the game requires iniative in order to explore. they're too lazy for that and want to be told where to go or someone to hold their hand. this reason is pathetic.

3. a lot of the fun and content is hidden inside the game's sophisticated physics engine. this requires gamers to be curious and have an imagination. some people are just too stupid and lazy to figure shyt out. also a pathetic reason. why play games at all?

4. lack of story. they want a movie's worth of cutscenes, more fleshed out main characters, npc interaction, story missions and shyt. also a valid reason. most likely a deadline issue as well.

Last edited:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How can anyone say Mario Odyssey is better than this? This is an open world game teeming with content. Mario Odyssey is a 5 hour platformer. shyt doesn't compare
Like @Dre Space Age you do have to have an imagination. Unlike Mario where they create these imaginative environments, then say 'ok, this is ice world, figure out how to get from point a to b to c...." With Zelda you're just out there and it's up to you to use your brain like ":jbhmm: what am I going to do to get from here to there, :patrice:am I even sure I want to go there like this/right now/this way?"

Then you can go at it 100 different ways, walk/run in, sneak in, ride a horse/animal in, climb in, use an octoballoon and drop in, stasis a tree or object and fly in, surf in, walk all the way around. Wait until night, wait until rain, snipe (if you can), parasail, shield surf....

Just youtube some of the shyt people are doing to get from point a to point b and even point c using those methods or a combination, that shyt requires imagination.

Theres still meals I haven't cooked up, and shyt that I haven't done. This Zelda (other than the shrines) doesn't put you in a position where you're forced to adhere to a certain method you progress where as in Mario there's a time when it's designed for you to use a wall kick, a long jump, or a backflip.

It's literally choose your own adventure you can go into battle fully equipped or fight naked (not nude obviously) with the master sword or other weapons.

They are both great in their own rites. With Mario's sophisticated design you can see how they made those fun puzzles and obstacles and how they're like ":pachaha: wait til they do this" then you do it and you're like :russ:. It's great that they share that with you. Botw has those moments but the creators are literally sitting back like :banderas: watching people online put clips up of them using unconventional methods to progress through the game.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Like @Dre Space Age you do have to have an imagination. Unlike Mario where they create these imaginative environments, then say 'ok, this is ice world, figure out how to get from point a to b to c...." With Zelda you're just out there and it's up to you to use your brain like ":jbhmm: what am I going to do to get from here to there, :patrice:am I even sure I want to go there like this/right now/this way?"

Then you can go at it 100 different ways, walk/run in, sneak in, ride a horse/animal in, climb in, use an octoballoon and drop in, stasis a tree or object and fly in, surf in, walk all the way around. Wait until night, wait until rain, snipe (if you can), parasail, shield surf....

Just youtube some of the shyt people are doing to get from point a to point b and even point c using those methods or a combination, that shyt requires imagination.

Theres still meals I haven't cooked up, and shyt that I haven't done. This Zelda (other than the shrines) doesn't put you in a position where you're forced to adhere to a certain method you progress where as in Mario there's a time when it's designed for you to use a wall kick, a long jump, or a backflip.

It's literally choose your own adventure you can go into battle fully equipped or fight naked (not nude obviously) with the master sword or other weapons.

They are both great in their own rites. With Mario's sophisticated design you can see how they made those fun puzzles and obstacles and how they're like ":pachaha: wait til they do this" then you do it and you're like :russ:. It's great that they share that with you. Botw has those moments but the creators are literally sitting back like :banderas: watching people online put clips up of them using unconventional methods to progress through the game.
although the shrines are linear, they also have multiple ways to beat them as well.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Cause Odyssey is more fun to play?
That's why I think it's the better game.
The beginning of BOTW was a huge lull to me. Link can't climb or run for more than 2 seconds without falling over and every weapon breaks after like 5 hits.
Odyssey doesn't cock block you from having a good time at the beginning of the game

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
although the shrines are linear, they also have multiple ways to beat them as well.
Thats true.

To sum it up the game can be overwhelming when you're not trying to think.

I think about this burger restaurant that was around my way. You come in theyd give you a paper menu and you'd create your own burger.

You choose the meat patty and size, then go down a laundry list of toppings and choose what you want and they'd make it.

Sometimes you just want to say ill have a number 3 or the western burger, but they didn't have presets. You come in choose the patty, the bun, every topping, side and sauce. The freedom would cripple people, you could hear people saying "well I don't know....." And see them about to have a panic attack.

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave

I've always preferred Zelda over Mario every generation. Preferred LTTP over Super Mario World. Prefer OOT over Mario 64. Prefer Wind Waker to Sunshine. BOTW over Odyssey.

Guess I'm in the minority. Mario is fukking great but Zelda games are always uber god tier to me.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
Love both games. Odyssey's post game is great. the initial game is amazingly put together. It's like Nintendo wanted people to finish it quick so they can start exploring right away.

I look forward to more info of the BOTW second DLC. gonna hold out for at least one review that tells me the new dungeon isn't like a divine beat.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

DOADzH3VwAEhRXd.jpg:large

I like this area of the game(Rito Village/Hebra Mountain Range).

Last edited:

JetLife

/ SOHH /
Daps
Reppin
Golden State
Finished my playthru and ya'lls advice was spot on in terms of early game strat. It eased up the struggle of the early game and quickened the pace to get to the mid game where this game really shines.

Game is easily a modern era GOAT and it's good this generation got their Ocarina of Time.

I wish Nintendo had a junior dev team that they would allow to produce a BOTW 1.5. Literally just build missions and objectives in the current world ... I feel like they only really utilized ~40% of this huge world/map they built.

Like the Eventide Island shrine or the Shrouded Shrine behind the Lost Forest felt a lot more engaging and fun than the usual hunt a shrine and be done. But these types of shrines were in the minority.

Also, a ton of the big environmental set pieces ... were just there. Things like the big ass Forgotten Temple, the Coliseum, The East Gate, etc. ended up just sitting there when I wanted to interact with them for a mission or objective.

Hopefully we get two more games out of this game engine. A quick sequel a la OoT & Majora's Mask (maybe just run a prequel where all the ruins are reverted to their original state and let us go heads up vs. an OG Gannon) and then a full on Switch-Only re-factor and story so we can get full 1080 Zelda.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Finished my playthru and ya'lls advice was spot on in terms of early game strat. It eased up the struggle of the early game and quickened the pace to get to the mid game where this game really shines.

Game is easily a modern era GOAT and it's good this generation got their Ocarina of Time.

I wish Nintendo had a junior dev team that they would allow to produce a BOTW 1.5. Literally just build missions and objectives in the current world ... I feel like they only really utilized ~40% of this huge world/map they built.

Like the Eventide Island shrine or the Shrouded Shrine behind the Lost Forest felt a lot more engaging and fun than the usual hunt a shrine and be done. But these types of shrines were in the minority.

Also, a ton of the big environmental set pieces ... were just there. Things like the big ass Forgotten Temple, the Coliseum, The East Gate, etc. ended up just sitting there when I wanted to interact with them for a mission or objective.

Hopefully we get two more games out of this game engine. A quick sequel a la OoT & Majora's Mask (maybe just run a prequel where all the ruins are reverted to their original state and let us go heads up vs. an OG Gannon) and then a full on Switch-Only re-factor and story so we can get full 1080 Zelda.
the upcoming champions ballad dlc is kinda like a botw 1.5 that you want

speaking of dlc we getting a side mission and new costume 2 days from now that celebrates xenoblade chronicles 2

looks ugly as fukk tho

2.png

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just completed Rito Village's divine beast/dungeon. That was the easiest one puzzle wise imo. That whole area was great. Loved it. The game has def grown on me despite my earlier impressions. Now off to the last one..

• Dap
Reactions: hex