The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
This game is so much better than OOT and I am someone who generally thinks OOT is the GOAT game...

One of the first things I did when I built a high end gaming PC a few years ago was put N64 roms on it just so I could play OOT...

And now that BOTW came out I tried to play OOT earlier this week...couldn't do it...all I could do was compare it to BOTW and it was just so much worse in every aspect of the game...

Some of these criticisms of the game don't make a lot of since to me. You knocked BOTW story then said LTTP was better but LTTP story is nothing more than your father leaves, you follow him into a hole, he gives you his stuff and you have to kill Agahim...who is Ganon...then kill Ganon...that story is much more simplistic than BOTW...the part of BOTW where you gather all your old memories has more depth to it the LTTP entire story...

I see this a lot with this game for some reason...a criticism of it and then a comparison to another zelda game...but then BOTW does it better than whatever Zelda game they are comparing it to...cause I just don't see how anyone can look at BOTW story and look at LTTP story and think LTTP story is better...

You also make it sound like giving the players the option to beat the game in a day or two or beat it in a few months is a bad thing...like their is some downside to that which lessens the experience of the game...
as much as i dislike that the story in botw isn't as fleshed out initially, it has a certain charm to it thanks to the relationship dynamic between link and zelda although wind waker did a better job at that. as far as overall motivation, the nes and snes zeldas did it best. you felt the pressure. don't feel any pressure in botw, but thats zelda's english voice actress fault. japanese zelda voice actress did it best. glad they kept link silent. i hope they do the same in the movie.

ocarina of time's story is the best tho. u can tell nintendo spent a lot of time on it. not so much on botw. they spent more time on the physics engine and it shows but im ok with that because it has a higher replayability than oot

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm like close to 30 hours in and it feels like nothing happened yet. I just got to Vah Ruta and died because I had no weapons. I don't like this "dungeon" though it just feels like a big shrine.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I bought a Switch a year later but I knew I was going to do that eventually regardless.
I've said it a bunch of times on this board, I'm a pessimist. Nintendo made it easy for me to hate on them with the Wii and Wii U being such casual systems with lackluster support when it comes to the more serious gamers that wanted something outside of Mario and Yoshi.
I've never called Zelda BOTW game of the year and honestly I think the game is over rated.
It is not a 10/10 game. I know you love the game, I'm not saying it's a bad game by any stretch, but as a life long Zelda fan, there's no way in the world I'm putting BOTW over Ocarina of Time or Link to the past.
BOTW's biggest sin to me is the complete lack of real/traditional dungeons. Those divine beast "dungeons" are laughable in comparison to the dungeons of Ocarina of Time and even Link to the past. The scale of BOTW is impressive, but there isn't enough going on story wise to warrant me spending countless hours traveling.
BOTW boils down to 4 "dungeons" (which are not dungeons at all in the traditional sense of the game), how ever many shrines (which are just quick puzzles), and a billion korok seeds.
Another major problem I have with BOTW is that on the whole it seems like what you do in the game regarding all those side activities, is of no major consequence to the core game.
Previous Zeldas had specific weapons and items you had to find to proceed. In BOTW that isn't necessarily the case. They made it to where if you wanted to beat the game in a day or two you could, and if you wanted to spend months with the game, you could as well.
IMO, I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn much more. (And I'm very conscious of the words I use)
Not that one game is better than the other. I enjoyed Horizon more than BOTW.
BOTW to me, is not GOTY. A lot of the games short comings are being ignored due to nostalgia, and the nintendo effect where their flagship titles are deemed above many others for no objective reason.
This game has a lot that most players won't see from what I'm reading online. It's just so open that you can beat it and not even see anything story heavy because they're rewards for players who care about that.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
The old man is cutting wood at the same time as link in this trailer. I never encountered this moment in the game. Either they took it out or i missed it

I learned this in the game i just missed it. Fml I ain't starting a new game to experience that moment

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Yeah I bought a Switch a year later but I knew I was going to do that eventually regardless.
I've said it a bunch of times on this board, I'm a pessimist. Nintendo made it easy for me to hate on them with the Wii and Wii U being such casual systems with lackluster support when it comes to the more serious gamers that wanted something outside of Mario and Yoshi.
I've never called Zelda BOTW game of the year and honestly I think the game is over rated.
It is not a 10/10 game. I know you love the game, I'm not saying it's a bad game by any stretch, but as a life long Zelda fan, there's no way in the world I'm putting BOTW over Ocarina of Time or Link to the past.
BOTW's biggest sin to me is the complete lack of real/traditional dungeons. Those divine beast "dungeons" are laughable in comparison to the dungeons of Ocarina of Time and even Link to the past. The scale of BOTW is impressive, but there isn't enough going on story wise to warrant me spending countless hours traveling.
BOTW boils down to 4 "dungeons" (which are not dungeons at all in the traditional sense of the game), how ever many shrines (which are just quick puzzles), and a billion korok seeds.
Another major problem I have with BOTW is that on the whole it seems like what you do in the game regarding all those side activities, is of no major consequence to the core game.
Previous Zeldas had specific weapons and items you had to find to proceed. In BOTW that isn't necessarily the case. They made it to where if you wanted to beat the game in a day or two you could, and if you wanted to spend months with the game, you could as well.
IMO, I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn much more. (And I'm very conscious of the words I use)
Not that one game is better than the other. I enjoyed Horizon more than BOTW.
BOTW to me, is not GOTY. A lot of the games short comings are being ignored due to nostalgia, and the nintendo effect where their flagship titles are deemed above many others for no objective reason.
Holy shyt IDK how I skipped this.

The game has a lot of issues for a10/10 but so do other 10/10 games. I've complained about story, rain, weapon durability, enemy variety, the uselessness of Hetsu's Gift, the wasted potential of awesome areas (akkala citadel for one), zelda's english voice acting, slowdown while fighting moblins....but for everything that's bad about the game I find that the pros outweigh the cons and even though my completion rate is at 100% and I've collected everything I am finding there is still more depth and strategy for me to master.

For example, someone said they killed all 22 Lynels before a blood moon and another person said you can reset blood moons by warping to hyrule castles shrine. That's a new goal of mine but my current goal is finding weapons with the max modifier and duplicating them with the duplication trick. For example, I have a Savage Lynel Sword whose Combat Power is 100. That is the strongest one-handed weapon in the game. I do not want to lose it. So I duplicate it and keep the first one in pristine condition. The other duplicates get used up until it's time to create more duplicates.

I haven't perfected the timing of perfect dodge and parrying. That's something I work on. I haven't perfect stasis in combat or learned to capitalize background objects to kill enemies with. I've seen lots of trick videos that I haven't done yet such as stasis shooting a crate to kill enemies while I ride the crate.

There are different arrow types spawning spots I can create routes for so that I never have to buy arrows again. Enemy camps with bomb arrows I can run around and collect when its raining cause it won't explode for example. Zora's domain for regular arrows.

I've found better recipes and areas to farm more of the same type of item I'm looking for. shyt a nikka had 999 guardian screws and almost 999 apples. I mark these places on the map.

There's a traveling tactic called speed parasailing. Basically you hit something in stasis and either stand, crouch or hang from it. Once you're have this high forward momentum, when you parasail you'll still be going very fast.

I'm gonna call bullshyt on you saying a lot of puzzles are quick. Not all the shrines are that easy, ESPECIALLY when it comes to trying to get every chest within the shrine. Also, you haven't experienced the true puzzles and thinking man's game of Breath of the Wild until you start collecting all the Koroks. Some of these motherfukkers REQUIRE you to perfect your shield surfing skills and magic techniques.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
This game has a lot that most players won't see from what I'm reading online. It's just so open that you can beat it and not even see anything story heavy because they're rewards for players who care about that.
Yeah the story is more in depth than i thought but it requires you to read shyt and talk to random npcs to learn more about it. That kind of pisses me off in a way cause i would have preferred to have more story missions to flesh it out

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Whoops haven't captured Link's horse from the trailers yet. There's a variant of that horse with a speed rating of 5 that I want to find. Will have to save scum until I get it. The other variants of Links BOTW horse have ratings like 4/4/5.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Anyone here been to the Fang and Bone? I was surprised that the monster masks actually have a real use. I was just on that mission where you take that godforsaken rock roast allllll the waaaaay uuuuuup the cliiiiiiff while trying to avoid/kill all those Moblins and falling boulders. Couldn't do anything about the boulders, but w/the Moblin mask, I walked right past all of them, no problem. I just hate that you can't sneak attack w/it on, b/c they're always sniffing you and they never turn around for that one-hitta quitta. I have the Moblin mask and the Bokoblin mask...I hope there's a Lizalfos mask, b/c I'm sick of those fast little fukkers.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Anyone here been to the Fang and Bone? I was surprised that the monster masks actually have a real use. I was just on that mission where you take that godforsaken rock roast allllll the waaaaay uuuuuup the cliiiiiiff while trying to avoid/kill all those Moblins and falling boulders. Couldn't do anything about the boulders, but w/the Moblin mask, I walked right past all of them, no problem. I just hate that you can't sneak attack w/it on, b/c they're always sniffing you and they never turn around for that one-hitta quitta. I have the Moblin mask and the Bokoblin mask...I hope there's a Lizalfos mask, b/c I'm sick of those fast little fukkers.
Yeah there's a lizaldos and lynel mask too.