The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I just started my 3rd playthrough of the game this weekend and I now realize that after 120 hours of gameplay and 2 playthroughs I have pretty much just scratched the surface of this game :dead:

I'm about 12 hours in and I have already found about 7 different bugs and 7 different fruits I didn't even know was in the game :dead:

For some strange reason on my first two playthroughs I just tried to perfect dodge every attack...like I don't have shield :dead:

Didn't figure out what monster elixir does until the very end of my second playthrough and was like "why the fukk was I not using this before":dead:

Never realized you can actually shoot down the floating guardians until now :dead:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
so all this time later, do guys still rank this above OOT?....still haven't played it yet, but just wanna ask now that some of the hype has settled in.

This is easily the greatest Zelda game ever...and this is coming from a person who thinks OOT is the GOAT game...

Like...this shyt is art...you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game...cause this isn't a game...this shyt is more like an experience...

So good that I literally cannot imagine them creating another Zelda game after this...there..there just isn't anything left that they could possibly do...they'd have to go into the 4th dimension or some shyt to make this game any better...

If us as the human race were to put all of our achievements in a time capsule and shoot it into space for aliens to see...this the THE game you put in that time capsule so when aliens get it you can be like "yeah you can travel at the speed of light but can you make something as great as this game though?"

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
This is easily the greatest Zelda game ever...and this is coming from a person who thinks OOT is the GOAT game...

Like...this shyt is art...you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game...cause this isn't a game...this shyt is more like an experience...

So good that I literally cannot imagine them creating another Zelda game after this...there..there just isn't anything left that they could possibly do...they'd have to go into the 4th dimension or some shyt to make this game any better...

If us as the human race were to put all of our achievements in a time capsule and shoot it into space for aliens to see...this the THE game you put in that time capsule so when aliens get it you can be like "yeah you can travel at the speed of light but can you make something as great as this game though?"
Last night I realized why the 900 korok seed mission isn't as pointless as everyone made it out to be. It's not about the end of your destination or the reward, it's about the journey. During this journey I'm still discovering shyt I did not see or encounter before, amazing vistas and scenery that I have not seen online and variety that makes me feel like I'm playing another game entirely sometimes. This game has lots of fukking mini puzzles that after you accomplish them you be feeling like a genius. It really engages the mind. This is the first game where I literally feel like it's making me smarter. Both my creative and logic functions. Masterpiece.

Marci-Senpai

Prosperity, longevity and a sound mind.
Daps
Reppin
More Life, Truth & Accountability
I just started my 3rd playthrough of the game this weekend and I now realize that after 120 hours of gameplay and 2 playthroughs I have pretty much just scratched the surface of this game :dead:

I'm about 12 hours in and I have already found about 7 different bugs and 7 different fruits I didn't even know was in the game :dead:

For some strange reason on my first two playthroughs I just tried to perfect dodge every attack...like I don't have shield :dead:

Didn't figure out what monster elixir does until the very end of my second playthrough and was like "why the fukk was I not using this before":dead:

Never realized you can actually shoot down the floating guardians until now :dead:
:damn: how much playthroughs u gonna do bruh? :wow:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I'm still on the same file I started the game with, beat ganon with, it has a star, I just keep playing. I have no desire to start from the very beginning fukk dat shyt.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
I talked to this girl about being a believer of bringing horses back from the dead. That has to do with the Lord of the Mountain shyt. Then I talked to a dude about an all white horse from the Royal Family somewhere one Safula Hill which I wasn't able to spot. But I noticed on the map a mountain named Satori Mountain.

Where is the Lord of the Mountain. I swear he was supposed to be in the area of the mountain with the pink pedals. :mjcry: I have to see this with my own eyes.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps

those are some strong words:leon:

the MAIN thing i'm concerned with is not just the gameplay, but that feeling like you HAVE to play. every day you wake up, and you just want to get the shyt started up again. the reason OOT was goat to me was not even just cause of the gameplay, but more so the story. all the villages you go to and how complex the characters and back stories were. the shyt was deep. on top of that the soundtrack just really made the whole shyt complete. so you're telling me, this game surpasses OOT in every single area?

IslandG

All Star
Daps

What do monster elixirs do and how do you get them?

:lupe:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I talked to this girl about being a believer of bringing horses back from the dead. That has to do with the Lord of the Mountain shyt. Then I talked to a dude about an all white horse from the Royal Family somewhere one Safula Hill which I wasn't able to spot. But I noticed on the map a mountain named Satori Mountain.

Where is the Lord of the Mountain. I swear he was supposed to be in the area of the mountain with the pink pedals. :mjcry: I have to see this with my own eyes.
At night if the mountain is glowing blue then he's there. Otherwise no.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

the MAIN thing i'm concerned with is not just the gameplay, but that feeling like you HAVE to play. every day you wake up, and you just want to get the shyt started up again. the reason OOT was goat to me was not even just cause of the gameplay, but more so the story. all the villages you go to and how complex the characters and back stories were. the shyt was deep. on top of that the soundtrack just really made the whole shyt complete. so you're telling me, this game surpasses OOT in every single area?
I still don't think it's better than OOT, but on the other hand it might not even be fair to compare BOTW to the previous games. This game stands alone in that it's VERY different. The soul of Zelda games is still here but the game plays and feels very different. It's completely open world with no set structure at all. It can be engrossing or daunting depending on what you like. Breakable weapons and shields has also gotten a mixed reception. The music in this game is much more subtle. Generally you barely hear any music at all out side of a few single, light piano keys. Weather / Climate affects link greatly and changes the way you have to go about traveling. I've been enjoying this game a lot, but for ME, it hasn't had the pull OOT had. In some ways I prefer the A,B,C structure of previous Zeldas and I definitely would have preferred that they handled weapon / shield breaking different in this game.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
What do monster elixirs do and how do you get them?

:lupe:

I think it's actually called monster extract....

You get it consistently from Kilton store once you unlock it or you can randomly get it from other NPC's. There is some lady on the road to death mountain who will give it to you the first time you go up there.

It allows a 30 duration frame for when you cross add items that do similar thing instead of I think the max you can get which is something like 12 or 13 minutes...

So doing say 2 fortiifed pumpkins + 2 iron mushrooms + 1 monster extract = highest defense bonus you can get for 30 minutes

There does seem to be a bit of randomness to it and some ingredients work better than others...for example substituting an armor carp for the mushroom or the pumpkin got me the 30 minute duration maybe half the time...but doing the pumpkins and mushrooms got me the 30 minute duration every single time...

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW

It does not surpass it in story...because you have to explore a lot of the game to find a bunch of the cooler elements of the story...like how there is a mission to buy a house...and depending on how much exploring you do and who you talk to you actually come to find out something special about the house...and the game has a much more light hearted tone than OOT...

But when it comes to gameplay and scope...no other zelda game is on the same planet as this...i honestly don't think any other game ever created is touching this... you want to play it as a stealth game and sneak by enemies you can...you want to just button mash through combat you going to have to level up armor and do a lot of cooking but you can...you want to say fukk these shrines I don't want to do that no problem you can cook shyt up to give you up to 20+ extra hearts...you want to just skip the whole game and go straight to hyrule castle and fight ganon 5 minutes into the game you can...i actually semi did that after my first playthrough...one temporary heart elixer + one high defense elixer and I got through 3 and a half divine beast before I died...if I had just had one more of each I would have been able to "beat" the game about an hour and a half in...the vertical aspect of the game is just amazing and almost a game unto itself...i can't even count how many times on my first playthrough I thought I was good enough to fight some enemies...got my ass kicked...said fukk this and just climbed up a mountain and flew over them:mjlol:...

The soundtrack to me is second to none...I've legit gone to Hyrule castle just to listen to the main Zelda theme that I thought was flawless and they added to it in the game and now I like this version better...it wasn't until this playthrough that I am doing now that I realized the music for every town is different...because I had been to wrapped up in the gameplay to really notice it in my first two playthroughs...

I HATED the weapon break system when I first played this game...even the one weapon that doesn't "break" has a gimmick around it that I didn't like...but...as the game goes on and you get better and you fight stronger enemies they have stronger weapons...things get so durable that it becomes pretty difficult to break them...if you go the route of collecting some particular itmes you can get so many weapons slots that it doesn't even matter...by the end of my first playthrough I had 5 and 6 of the types of weapons and shields and bows in the game... the only real gripe I have with the gameplay is that you can eventually become overpowered if you explore to much and level up to much and always craft the best of the best things...by the end of my first play through i had gone from one guardian shot outright killing me to one guarding shot doing half a heart of damage and with added temp hearts I had 42 of them...and I had an ability to resurrect me after I died with extra temp hearts...and i had like 20 ferries to resurrect me again if I died again :mjlol:

Like...there are two versions of this game...the version you play when you don't know how to play it...and then the version you play when you do know how to play it...the way i am playing the game in my third playthrough is not even remotely close to how i played it in my second play through and it was not remotely close how i played it in my first playthrough...

You say you are not concerned with gameplay but I would wait and make that judgement until after I played the game enough to at least figure it out...it is so free and open to the point you can't REALLY start to appreciate the game until you figure out how to play it the way want to play it...

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It does not surpass it in story...because you have to explore a lot of the game to find a bunch of the cooler elements of the story...like how there is a mission to buy a house...and depending on how much exploring you do and who you talk to you actually come to find out something special about the house...and the game has a much more light hearted tone than OOT...

But when it comes to gameplay and scope...no other zelda game is on the same planet as this...i honestly don't think any other game ever created is touching this... you want to play it as a stealth game and sneak by enemies you can...you want to just button mash through combat you going to have to level up armor and do a lot of cooking but you can...you want to say fukk these shrines I don't want to do that no problem you can cook shyt up to give you up to 20+ extra hearts...you want to just skip the whole game and go straight to hyrule castle and fight ganon 5 minutes into the game you can...i actually semi did that after my first playthrough...one temporary heart elixer + one high defense elixer and I got through 3 and a half divine beast before I died...if I had just had one more of each I would have been able to "beat" the game about an hour and a half in...the vertical aspect of the game is just amazing and almost a game unto itself...i can't even count how many times on my first playthrough I thought I was good enough to fight some enemies...got my ass kicked...said fukk this and just climbed up a mountain and flew over them:mjlol:...

The soundtrack to me is second to none...I've legit gone to Hyrule castle just to listen to the main Zelda theme that I thought was flawless and they added to it in the game and now I like this version better...it wasn't until this playthrough that I am doing now that I realized the music for every town is different...because I had been to wrapped up in the gameplay to really notice it in my first two playthroughs...

I HATED the weapon break system when I first played this game...even the one weapon that doesn't "break" has a gimmick around it that I didn't like...but...as the game goes on and you get better and you fight stronger enemies they have stronger weapons...things get so durable that it becomes pretty difficult to break them...if you go the route of collecting some particular itmes you can get so many weapons slots that it doesn't even matter...by the end of my first playthrough I had 5 and 6 of the types of weapons and shields and bows in the game... the only real gripe I have with the gameplay is that you can eventually become overpowered if you explore to much and level up to much and always craft the best of the best things...by the end of my first play through i had gone from one guardian shot outright killing me to one guarding shot doing half a heart of damage and with added temp hearts I had 42 of them...and I had an ability to resurrect me after I died with extra temp hearts...and i had like 20 ferries to resurrect me again if I died again :mjlol:

Like...there are two versions of this game...the version you play when you don't know how to play it...and then the version you play when you do know how to play it...the way i am playing the game in my third playthrough is not even remotely close to how i played it in my second play through and it was not remotely close how i played it in my first playthrough...

You say you are not concerned with gameplay but I would wait and make that judgement until after I played the game enough to at least figure it out...it is so free and open to the point you can't REALLY start to appreciate the game until you figure out how to play it the way want to play it...

Great summary of the game. However there's one thing I 100% disagree with....this story is far darker than any other "Zelda" game. General plot spoilers:

Link is dead when the game starts, defeated by Ganon, and the world is effectively over. No other game in the series starts with you utterly defeated.

And for most of the game (via flashbacks I mean) Zelda doesn't even like Link. Which is obviously a huge departure for the series.

Fred.