The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I disagree. The transition to highly linear game to completely free open world game is just as big as going from 2D to 3D especially in an age where 2D as a standard just isn't as relevant to people who didn't grow up with it. This will forever be the game that got this series out of Oot's shadow. They've been copying portions of that game for a very long time and now they'll likely be copying this game in some form.

No....hell no.:mjlol:

It's not remotely on the same level, from any angle. There was open world games back then ("Tomb Raider", "OOT"), all any subsequent open world titles did after that is refine the formula.

2D to 3D made everyone completely rethink video games....from fans to developers....people that had been programming games for decades were back to square one. The shift literally ended a few companies, including Sega.

And :what:at "2D as a standard isn't as relevant to people who didn't grow up on it". The historical significance exists totally independent of whether or not people are old enough to care about it. History doesn't get rewritten just because people were born too late to know about it first hand.

The only thing you said that I agree with is this is the game that got the series out of "OOT" shadow....and even then this game uses things (lock on camera) that were started by "OOT". Like I said, all these new games do is refine the formula. Going from "linear open world" to "actual open world" is not as big a leap as this:

Fred.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No....hell no.:mjlol:

It's not remotely on the same level, from any angle. There was open world games back then ("Tomb Raider", "OOT"), all any subsequent open world titles did after that is refine the formula.

2D to 3D made everyone completely rethink video games....from fans to developers....people that had been programming games for decades were back to square one. The shift literally ended a few companies, including Sega.

And :what:at "2D as a standard isn't as relevant to people who didn't grow up on it". The historical significance exists totally independent of whether or not people are old enough to care about it. History doesn't get rewritten just because people were born too late to know about it first hand.

The only thing you said that I agree with is this is the game that got the series out of "OOT" shadow....and even then this game uses things (lock on camera) that were started by "OOT". Like I said, all these new games do is refine the formula. Going from "linear open world" to "actual open world" is not as big a leap as this:

Fred.

So are you saying they didn't have to rethink Zelda's game design going from completely linear to completely nonlinear open world? Zelda OoT also was not the first 3D game. Are you saying Mario 64 for example didn't happen OoT released 1.5-2 years into 3D games.

The game required a complete redesign from the ground up to work as an open world completely nonlinear title and yeah it's just as revolutionary to the series as OoT was whether or not you wanna admit it. This will be viewed as a transitional title in this series just as OoT was.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Also there is a difference between "open world" and completely nonlinear open world. In a game like GTA V it's open world but it's not completely nonlinear. There are required story missions you have to do to finish the main quest. You will also do some of them in a linear fashion. You can't effectively turn on the game finish the tutorial and go right to the final mission whenever you like.

Breath of the Wild is completely nonlinear. You turn this on you can do the tutorial missions an any order you want and past that point whatever else you do is up to you. The game has a complete story in it to be experienced that is optional. In fact the majority of the game is optional. There is no 20 hour required linear quest line burried in the open world nature of the game. You beat that tutorial and feel free to march right up to the final boss whenever you feel like it.

That required completely rethinking and restructuring the series gameplay. To make a game where everything is optional after you're taught how to play as compelling as this one is is in my opinion just as big a feat as going from 2D to 3D.

I don't usually play much of open world games because they struggle to hold my attention. I've never in my life completed a GTA game for example because in the end open world games just get boring to me. Often times I get bored with them and I'm not far enough into the main quest line to actually complete them so I shelve them and move on.

That didn't happen here. When I reached that point with Zelda I was past 50 hours and when I decided I had enough I just went to Hyrule castle and beat the game.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Woah... I got the twilight bow after only 5 attempts. That took less than 5 minutes. The only thing I did differently than the guy in the video is face hyrule castle but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
it doesn't have infinite durability. I broke it but i had made a duplicate then reverted to an old save so im good. Need to test this shyt on guardians

Edit: this shyt is weak against guardians

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
it doesn't have infinite durability. I broke it but i had made a duplicate then reverted to an old save so im good. Need to test this shyt on guardians

Edit: this shyt is weak against guardians
Thats a major point I don't like about this game. They give you some really cool looking (and functioning) weapons just to have them break on you.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I was mad af. I put my switch up after that. Lol
I haven't gotten the master sword yet but I was curious if there were ANY unbreakable weapons in this game and they said the Master Sword is the ONLY weapon that doesn't break technically, but it does lose power and becomes unusable for a certain amount of time until it recharges. :gucci:
This is why I can't give this game a 10/10 or say its better than OOT.
If they were going to make EVERYTHING breakable they should have given us a way to repair weapons on the go. Some type of repair kit. Or at the very least, don't make the weapons evaporate into dust when they break, let me pick it up and take it to a blacksmith.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Thats a major point I don't like about this game. They give you some really cool looking (and functioning) weapons just to have them break on you.
I can see what they were going for, trying to get people to experiment and use different types of weapons but I think it would be cool to turn the option on or off. Maybe have that locked behind a hard mode.
I have my elemental blades that I love but I never use them cause I don't want them to break.
My thoughts are a bit mixed on the game, but certainly on the positive side. I love how there's more than one solution to a lot of the puzzles. You have no idea how many times I'm doing all types of things to solve a puzzle and after I finish it, I watch someone else's gameplay and they solve it in like 1 minute doing something else :snoop:

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
I'm cool with weapons breaking but i'm not cool with it raining all the damn time in Hyrule

It always seems to rain when you're thinking of climbing in an area you actually NEED to climb. :mjlol:

Is the reward for the horse trail worth it. I've been trying and can't seem to jump all 10 in time. almost took my horse out back because he keeps refusing to jump the one on the ramp.

:mjcry: lost almost 1000 rupees trying to beat this thing all because he promised cool gear.