'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 (7 Episodes) | Season 2 Official Teaser Released

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I will. This is basic human psychology. There's a reason why most famous actors and actress are at least moderately pleasing to look at.

I remember reading about a study where they had a beautiful woman carrying bags through a crowded mall or something, and she was told to stumble, and drop everything at a certain mark. People would fall over themselves to try to help this attractive person. When they replaced the subject with someone most would consider unattractive, people looked the other way and walked right past.

My point is ... whether we want to admit it or not, most of us are biased in favor of beautiful people. And in the case of a TV horror/drama, it's much easier to get the general population to care about and root for the well-being of a moderately good-looking protagonist.

Now, I never thought of video game Ellie as especially beautiful or hot or cute -- just the average ordinary teen girl. TV Ellie is, quite frankly, odd looking, and audiences care about that stuff. I thought the actress did a great job episode 1, I just hope people don't stop watching because they can't empathize with her, or they don't care about what happens to her.
Change beautiful with white and ugly with black.

Now do you see how y’all sound?

:mjpls:

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Yeah, I definitely could see that. Do you think movies and advertisements might have played a role in the public's expectation to see traditionally beautiful people on the screen though?

I don't know, but my instinct tells me that TV & ad people want eyeballs on the screen, and have figured out that they can attract more eyes with beautiful people than not so beautiful ones. So rather than entertainment & media conditioning people, I think it's the market and society incentivizing media to showcase people whom others want to see.
Change beautiful with white and ugly with black.

Now do you see how y’all sound?

:mjpls:

That doesn't refute my point though. It's silly to scoff at people pointing out Ramsey's looks as if it doesn't matter to audiences. Clearly it does matter, or no one would have mentioned it.

But I'm really not sure exactly what point you're trying to make here? That only bigots care about the physical attractiveness of tv stars?

Would an all white TLoU cast garnered more public interest? I don't know... I'd guess it would garner a negative reaction, given the culture we live in today.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
:manny:
This is everything we’ve asked for in an adaption and people are still crying. Looking forward to every Sunday until the finale. I might even re-play both games for a 4th time around the halfway mark.
Y’all gotta stop being so defensive and let people have they critics lol

dfresh

Pro
Daps
Well Tommy has to be a Spanish guy because Pedro is Joel. Makes sense.

Eh..they should have went in a different direction then because he sticks out like a sore thumb . Completely takes you out of the moment.

Horrible casting choice

Anna Torv is a human block of wood. was on Fringe. Was on Mindhunter, and probably will be on this.

She comes across like she’s just going through the motions.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cool lil theory I read about the source of the outbreak….

Its possible that the virus comes from infected grain. From the games we know for sure the source was some type of food. In the show we saw them not make pancakes in the morning because they didn’t have the mix. Then they passed on those dry ass biscuits the neighbors had and Sarah didn’t eat them nasty ass raisin cookies. Finally Joel didn’t bring the birthday cake home.

Could be a reach but the director did say they would leave breadcrumbs to reveal the source of the infection in the show.