The irony of ODB saying "This aint no commercial song" because the Neptunes sound wasn't commercial yet in 1999 but in 2024 it sounds very commercial

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Was doing an ODB album binge and threw on his 2nd album and when Track #1 popped up, Dirty says "This ain't no commercial song." But when you hear the beat it sounds very commercial in 2024. That's because in 1999 when Dirty said those words the Neptunes sound wasn't commercial yet. In 1999 that sound was still the new Hip Hop wave, it hadn't gone pop yet.

This song dropped before Snoop and Jay Z had the Neptunes sound all over MTV and before Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Kelis and Gwen Stefani would have the Neptunes sound as pop song staples that would be all over the USA as well as being a signature sound of the 2000's. I just found it ironic that Dirty would say those words not knowing that the Neptunes sound would be a very commercial sound in the future. The song "Recognize" sounds like something Justin Timberlake would be on.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah they knew that shyt sounded commercial. This was after Note's "Superthug" was already a smash and Kelis was doing her thing. Neptune's was always commercial.

But the comment is more about Dirty still being grimey as fukk even on a commercial ass track

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
Nah they knew that shyt sounded commercial. This was after Note's "Superthug" was already a smash and Kelis was doing her thing. Neptune's was always commercial.

But the comment is more about Dirty still being grimey as fukk even on a commercial ass track
its pretty weird how rappers went from admonishing claims of 'going solo' or 'selling out' to its modern hypercapitalist form where the average rap song's lyrics read like a luxury brands shopping list

nowadays a rapper cant wait to 'sell out'

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom

:patrice:
Nah. Your math is off. Got Your Money came out before Kelis' first single. The first time we ever heard of Kelis was on Dirtys first single from this album. We were wondering who she was when Dirtys video first dropped. And SuperThug did not have a commercial sound. At the time their sound was futuristic and video games'ish.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. Your math is off. Got Your Money came out before Kelis' first single. The first time we ever heard of Kelis was on Dirtys first single from this album. We were wondering who she was when Dirtys video first dropped. And SuperThug did not have a commercial sound. At the time their sound was futuristic and video games'ish.
You right about Kelis, but Superthug was a commercial ass track. Neptune's always had a commercial sound. Their drums was mad commercial. There was "radio commercial" and "club commercial". Neptune's was "club commercial"

They also had joints on Harlem World

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
You right about Kelis, but Superthug was a commercial ass track. Neptune's always had a commercial sound. Their drums was mad commercial. There was "radio commercial" and "club commercial". Neptune's was "club commercial"

They also had joints on Harlem World

I'm starting to question if you were even around during the late 90s because your words aren't matching what I remember. You said Neptunes "always had a commercial sound" but they only had 2 popular songs prior to late 1999. They weren't commercial yet which is the whole point of why I made this thread. That Neptunes sound was new and secluded to hip hop only, it wasn't a popular commercial sound like it would be by mid 2000s. I am seriously convinced you either weren't around or old enough by 1999 and are talking from the perspective of after their sound became commercial not before. There is no way by 1999 you could say that Neptunes sound was commercial. Absolutely no way because there was only 2 popular songs from the Neptunes by late 1999 and SuperThug was considered "hardcore" not "commercial."

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps

I'm starting to question if you were even around during the late 90s because your words aren't matching what I remember. You said Neptunes "always had a commercial sound" but they only had 2 popular songs prior to late 1999. They weren't commercial yet which is the whole point of why I made this thread. That Neptunes sound was new and secluded to hip hop only, it wasn't a popular commercial sound like it would be by mid 2000s. I am seriously convinced you either weren't around or old enough by 1999 and are talking from the perspective of after their sound became commercial not before. There is no way by 1999 you could say that Neptunes sound was commercial. Absolutely no way because there was only 2 popular songs from the Neptunes by late 1999 and SuperThug was considered "hardcore" not "commercial."
Not knowing who someone is doesnt take away from their sound being obviously pop and commercial. Neptunes as a name was new but they had been working in the industry for some time at that point.
They were obviously chosen for odb to work with because of their fommercial sound. The album had irv gotti for same reason and had rza blend in wu stuff that matched.

Odb said it cause at the time the commercial vs hardcore thing was still fresh and odb kinda started it himself saying puffy was good but wutang the best

But neptunes is blatantly commercial. Odb always showed love to diff coasts and sounds other hardcore nyc mcs did not. He was the one of rhe first open to that sound.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Odb was ahead of his time in many regards but everyone in ny were saying "isnt the same sound as that noriega song?"

That song was boomin and then you had Bad Boy copying it and then came Odb