The Impact Slavery Had on the American Economy

Lifejennings

Superstar
Daps
I was reading somewhere about how slavery affected the American economy. It had numbers, and figures, and basically stated that it was because of slavery that the American economy grew to be what it is today. It also had a nice breakdown of reparations owed due to the money being generated by slavery. Does anyone have any links or resources about this?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I was reading somewhere about how slavery affected the American economy. It had numbers, and figures, and basically stated that it was because of slavery that the American economy grew to be what it is today. It also had a nice breakdown of reparations owed due to the money being generated by slavery. Does anyone have any links or resources about this?

The most commonly used phrase describing the growth of the American economy in the 1830s and 1840s was “Cotton Is King.” We think of this slogan today as describing the plantation economy of the slavery states in the Deep South, which led to the creation of “the second Middle Passage.” But it is important to understand that this was not simply a Southern phenomenon. Cotton was one of the world’s first luxury commodities, after sugar and tobacco, and was also the commodity whose production most dramatically turned millions of black human beings in the United States themselves into commodities. Cotton became the first mass consumer commodity.

Understanding both how extraordinarily profitable cotton was and how interconnected and overlapping were the economies of the cotton plantation, the Northern banking industry, New England textile factories and a huge proportion of the economy of Great Britain helps us to understand why it was something of a miracle that slavery was finally abolished in this country at all.

Let me try to break this down quickly, since it is so fascinating:

Let’s start with the value of the slave population. Steven Deyle shows that in 1860, the value of the slaves was “roughly three times greater than the total amount invested in banks,” and it was “equal to about seven times the total value of all currency in circulation in the country, three times the value of the entire livestock population, twelve times the value of the entire U.S. cotton crop and forty-eight times the total expenditure of the federal government that year.” As mentioned here in a previous column, the invention of the cotton gin greatly increased the productivity of cotton harvesting by slaves. This resulted in dramatically higher profits for planters, which in turn led to a seemingly insatiable increase in the demand for more slaves, in a savage, brutal and vicious cycle.

Now, the value of cotton: Slave-produced cotton “brought commercial ascendancy to New York City, was the driving force for territorial expansion in the Old Southwest and fostered trade between Europe and the United States,” according to Gene Dattel. In fact, cotton productivity, no doubt due to the sharecropping system that replaced slavery, remained central to the American economy for a very long time: “Cotton was the leading American export from 1803 to 1937.”

What did cotton production and slavery have to do with Great Britain? The figures are astonishing. As Dattel explains: “Britain, the most powerful nation in the world, relied on slave-produced American cotton for over 80 per cent of its essential industrial raw material. English textile mills accounted for 40 percent of Britain’s exports. One-fifth of Britain’s twenty-two million people were directly or indirectly involved with cotton textiles.”

“First cotton gin” from Harpers Weekly. 1869 illustration depicting event of some 70 years earlier by William L. Sheppard. (Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs division)

And, finally, New England? As Ronald Bailey shows, cotton fed the textile revolution in the United States. “In 1860, for example, New England had 52 percent of the manufacturing establishments and 75 percent of the 5.14 million spindles in operation,” he explains. The same goes for looms. In fact, Massachusetts “alone had 30 percent of all spindles, and Rhode Island another 18 percent.” Most impressively of all, “New England mills consumed 283.7 million pounds of cotton, or 67 percent of the 422.6 million pounds of cotton used by U.S. mills in 1860.” In other words, on the eve of the Civil War, New England’s economy, so fundamentally dependent upon the textile industry, was inextricably intertwined, as Bailey puts it, “to the labor of black people working as slaves in the U.S. South.”

The Role Cotton Played in the 1800s Economy | African American History Blog | The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross

Aviso

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
University of Connecticut researcher Thomas Craemer said reparations should cost America between $5.9 trillion and $14.2 trillion.

Craemer came up with those figures by tabulating how many hours all slaves—men, women and children—worked in the United States from when the country was officially established in 1776 until 1865, when slavery was officially abolished. He multiplied the amount of time they worked by average wage prices at the time, and then a compounding interest rate of 3 percent per year (more than making up for inflation).

Slavery Reparations Could Cost Up to $14 Trillion, According to New Calculation

fairfax12

Pro
Daps
Through slavery some of America's most wealthy 17th/18th century cities are born. Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans (and many more) all owe their whole existence to black slavery.

This is just talking about America too. There were many cities in Europe which were shytty outposts until the commerce generated by our ancestors work built them up. Liverpool and Birmingham owe everything to the islands in the Caribbean. The British at one point called Jamaica "The Crown Jewel of the British Empire".

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
OP,

I don't F with Henry Louis Gates, but I think everybody should own a copy of Encyclopedia Africana in the homes.
It's as good of a starting point for general information about our global history as I can think of. Was expensive when it came out but mad cheap now, so no good reason not to pick it up.

I think you read the general information first, then when you have the basics down, you can search out more detailed information.

If not that one, then search out a big reference book about African history.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
OP,

I don't F with Henry Louis Gates, but I think everybody should own a copy of Encyclopedia Africana in the homes.
It's as good of a starting point for general information about our global history as I can think of. Was expensive when it came out but mad cheap now, so no good reason not to pick it up.

I think you read the general information first, then when you have the basics down, you can search out more detailed information.

If not that one, then search out a big reference book about African history.
What's your issue with HLGJr.?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
What's your issue with HLGJr.?
Followed this guy and his work for years.
I ran out of passes to give to him.
When he was publicly caping for Jews involved in the transatlantic slave trade....I gave him a pass.
When he did the PBS special about Africa..and he met descendant of African slave merchant and said all kind of nonsense to HER about feeling uncomfortable around person who sold his people(yet is married to white woman who probably descends from European slavers /plantation owners)....I cringed

When he put the African Encyclopedia together and dismissed criticism from BLACK scholars that he was using too many non Black scholars to put it together....again..I cringed. Purchased the Encyclopedia but I cringed.....

Final straw was when this happened.

A PBS Show, a Frustrated Ben Affleck, and a Loss of Face

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Followed this guy and his work for years.
I ran out of passes to give to him.
When he was publicly caping for Jews involved in the transatlantic slave trade....I gave him a pass.
When he did the PBS special about Africa..and he met descendant of African slave merchant and said all kind of nonsense to HER about feeling uncomfortable around person who sold his people(yet is married to white woman who probably descends from European slavers /plantation owners)....I cringed

When he put the African Encyclopedia together and dismissed criticism from BLACK scholars that he was using too many non Black scholars to put it together....again..I cringed. Purchased the Encyclopedia but I cringed.....

Final straw was when this happened.

A PBS Show, a Frustrated Ben Affleck, and a Loss of Face

:snoop: Didn't know about any of this. Pretty embarrassing stuff :snoop:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

As the guy says in the video "Every body was getting a piece.....bankers...marketing people...those who owned the ships that transported the cotton.....everyone was getting piece of the pie"

Another reason why Gates is a master tap dancer. The caping he was doing for the jewish community was to obscure the points that were made in the first NOI book about blacks and jews. The second volume covers the cotton industry EXTENSIVELY......and expands on the guy's point about EVERYBODY getting a piece of the pie.

Also, like I've written before, the first volume got a lot of backlash.....barely a peep about volume 2.

What insulted my intelligence about Gates caping was...any book about jewish history in Europe will point out that they were relegated to certain industries because of christian prejudice. It was against "church" principles to charge interest on loans.....usury it was called. Jews had no religious such rule and became bankers and merchants out of necessity.

If you occupy the positions of merchants and bankers in Europe, there is no possible way that you are not involved in the slave trade when it begins. Especially when jews also have no rule preventing them from becoming slavers.Even as a teenager, it puzzled me that pressure was being applied to hide what's an obvious observation.

Last edited: