The idealists don't understand that the realists also believe in the ideal

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I be arguing with the good, idealistic Brehs on here.

On various topics. The idealists take time to run down the moral argument. As if the realists are against the ideal.

I get it. I do. The people who pray and pray for reparations every day. The bothsiders who remind us that government, in general, is corrupt. The metoos that remind us that abuse is never cool.

I do not disagree with the ideals.

I have realized that the ideal is unobtainable. Why? Cause the mechanism for every ideal is a physical, material manifestation. And the material is corrupt. By definition.

Any physical car will break down. The idea of the car will never die.

See how that works? The ideal is something that drives us toward the good,

but

the pure form

will never

and

can never

be realized.

Once you condense an idea into any physical form it is going to decay.

What I am talking about most times on here usually skips the step of trying to uplift a pure ideal. That can never work. What we can do. What we have to do. Is work with the material that is here.

All the corrupt objects are the only handles we have. It's the only way to actually do active things.

Given the tools we can grab, how do we work.

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
8G69d3.gif

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
I be arguing with the good, idealistic Brehs on here.

On various topics. The idealists take time to run down the moral argument. As if the realists are against the ideal.

I get it. I do. The people who pray and pray for reparations every day. The bothsiders who remind us that government, in general, is corrupt. The metoos that remind us that abuse is never cool.

I do not disagree with the ideals.

I have realized that the ideal is unobtainable. Why? Cause the mechanism for every ideal is a physical, material manifestation. And the material is corrupt. By definition.

Any physical car will break down. The idea of the car will never die.

See how that works? The ideal is something that drives us toward the good,

but

the pure form

will never

and

can never

be realized.

Once you condense an idea into any physical form it is going to decay.

What I am talking about most times on here usually skips the step of trying to uplift a pure ideal. That can never work. What we can do. What we have to do. Is work with the material that is here.

All the corrupt objects are the only handles we have. It's the only way to actually do active things.

Given the tools we can grab, how do we work.

So, you’ve been reading Plato’s theory of forms?

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
be careful of the subtle nihilism in your thought process. working with only what we have can prevent a striving for a better having.

at best it creates neoliberal tendencies, at worst you take yourself out the game.

on the other hand, you are right, the perfect/pure is never to be obtained. thats a fool's errand.

This world is a world of Perfecting/Purifying. Perfection/Purity is not the way we as black folks think. This is quite evident in all of our traditional art forms.

Consider the advanced courses that Plato did not take and study real African philosophy. Platonism creates abstraction. Our Deep Thought creates Harmony.

books:
Yurugu
Socrates and Orunmila: Two Patron Saints of Classical Philosophy
Aráàrààrá: Wondrous Inhabitor of Thunder
In Praise of Our Mothers/Souls of Black Folks
Dr. Carver's Bulletins

darkmanp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
VA
I used to be an idealist, but living in the real world long enough, and with age, one becomes a realist. The older you get, your circle of care gets smaller, and you focus more on protecting you and your family. Basically, you become more selfish. You're willing to help others, but not to the point that it will become a detriment to you or your loved ones.

Another thing, Idealist don't understand/take into consideration the SACRIFICES that have to be made to achieve ideals.

During MLK days of the bus boycotts, blacks had to sacrifice not having a reliable form of transportation in not taking the bus because of the racist policy of blacks having to sit in the back. That meant that they had to walk miles to the store or work, or rely on someone else to lend a helping hand and give a ride. The boycott lasted over a year. That's a year of walking instead of having transportation. That's sacrifice.

Today's "idealists" have not shown that they are willing to make such sacrifices. Sure, they will post on Twitter and attend protests, but no true sacrifice such as giving up a convenience. Look at the people calling out Elon Musk for being racist. They still post on Twitter and will drive a Tesla. They support Kapernick in his protest, but can't give up watching their favorite team in the NFL. Demand reparations, but allow people in office who vow they will never allow reparations for black people.

For those who say we should just burn it all down and start over, you're not being serious. You're damn sure not thinking or willing to accept the sacrifice and inconvenience that would entail in your personal life.

That's one thing I can give props to those middle eastern cats. They are willing to sacrifice their life for their cause. In the Western hemisphere, we're not willing to sacrifice posting on Twitter.

I'll add at to summarize, the idealist expects change to occur instantly, while the realist realizes change is gradual. The seeds of the ideal goal have to be planted and allowed to grow over a period of time. You don't get the tree at the drop of a dime.

Last edited:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
I agree in being realistic but optimism is a higher vibration
people rarely conflate realism with pessimism, but fundamentally they are the same imo

because what is real for you, isnt always whats real for me because of perception. So the optimist is like the realist salvation because the realist is always oriented towards claims about the contrary. Which is an endless loop