"The Iceman" and "The Place Beyond The Pines" were dope af!!!

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Red Box got a nikka eating good this week...watched both them bytches last night :noah:

Trance, 42 and The Company You Keep are up next :win:

One4Deuce

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Minnesota
Just got Trance and The Iceman on Blu-ray the other day, looking forward to checking them out. The Place Beyond the Pines was definitely nice.

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Iceman was kinda boring but it was a decent movie

I didnt like Pines after ******* got killed

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Pines was wack. Worst character development of all time, I didn't care about a single one of those people. And why was Gosling's son such an emo bytch about his dad? He grew up with a father, his character was acting like he grew up in a single mother household and had idolized Gosling the whole time, There was absolutely no reason that he would have acted the way he did towards Bradley Cooper.

Speaking of Bradley Cooper, how the fukk are you going to make his son and Gosling's son the 2 main characters when they weren't even introduced for the first 2/3 of the movie? (and no, a toddler in a crib doesn't count).

What a schizophrenic, smart dumb, poorly written piece of crap. Seems to have fooled the critics though. At least it was original, I will give them that, the characters and writing were just horrible.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Pines was wack. Worst character development of all time, I didn't care about a single one of those people. And why was Gosling's son such an emo bytch about his dad? He grew up with a father, his character was acting like he grew up in a single mother household and had idolized Gosling the whole time, There was absolutely no reason that he would have acted the way he did towards Bradley Cooper.

Speaking of Bradley Cooper, how the fukk are you going to make his son and Gosling's son the 2 main characters when they weren't even introduced for the first 2/3 of the movie? (and no, a toddler in a crib doesn't count).

What a schizophrenic, smart dumb, poorly written piece of crap. Seems to have fooled the critics though. At least it was original, I will give them that, the characters and writing were just horrible.
why so angry? :lupe:

Change

All Star
Daps
Trance and Pines were both wack. Haven't seen the rest.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
@Adam3000 - hated Pines, but couldn't say why. I like how you articulated it. I agree

I just decided to hop onto Amazon quick and see if I could find a review that better explained it, and this guys 2 star review is absolutely perfect:

A beautifully shot film with nicely understated performances, THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES is a curious, experimental flick that never really rises above its own heavy-handedness. The film is essentially three short stories, one of which focuses on a circus performer turned bank robber (Gosling). His violent encounter with a young cop (Cooper) propels the film's second act into the life of that officer. The final third of of the film reveals how the lives of these two men, already inextricably intertwined, become even further entangled by their teenage sons.

The allegory of the film (the sins of the father are passed down to the son) is ponderous almost to distraction. Although told with patient, sumptuous detail, the characters never really seem much more than stereotypes. This may be because everything is done so quietly and subtly. It may also be because the script expects the potency of the situation to be enough to draw the heart. I don't know. All I know is the only person I felt sorry for was Romina (Eva Mendes), the only character to be truly likable and complex (and, of course, the character that gets dumped on more than any other...and that's saying a lot for a film that's as dismal as this one).

The rails really come off in the third act, when the film asks the audience to assume quite a bit about the teenage sons of these two flawed fathers. I won't go into too much detail to avoid spoilers, but I will say that Gosling's son appears to make decisions for no real reason. It seems like the movie is trying to say that there is something inescapable, something in the genes that propels him, but his behavior shifts radically and often. You can't even really blame it on puberty, since the shifts are way beyond even the wildest of teenage mood swings. It felt very much to me like the film just needed that thread of melodrama to keep on playing out, and it had no way to do it beyond highly exaggerated teenage angst.

I was planning on giving the film a solid three stars -- I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it -- until the final scene. Again, I'm avoiding spoilers here, but it was so gushingly symbolic, and so obviously attempting a kind of desperate palindromic poetry that it just felt like the movie was begging me to cry. Even worse, it didn't make a whole lot of sense in the grand scheme of things, and really all I could think of wasn't how deep and meaningful and powerful it was, but was how it was basically another stab in the side of the only character that provided me with any empathy: Mendes's Romina. The fact that the film relegates this powerful, complicated, long-suffering (much longer suffering than any of the male characters) female character to a footnote in the film in deference to this tired symbolism about fathers and sons was what finally annoyed me enough to drop my rating.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
YOOOOOO, I was just about to make a thread about the iceman.

I watched it last night, and that shyt was some straight piff!!!

I also watched the place beyond the pines not knowing what it was about last sunday, thinking it was gonna be some :trash: :snoop:

NOPE, I was wrong about that one too. shyt was GREAT!

micheal shannon is sooo good at playing a creep, which he did to perfection as usual in the iceman.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous

:russ: i stopped right after guy bit the dust. movie waas already annoying me before that.

iceman was cool, was about to get trance for the rosario bisness... but its trash? :leon: